Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rod and serpent
    replied
    Their turret was rotated so that it faced the opposite direction. Most of the sapper vehicles had their cannons removed and those that weren`t removed were covered up.

Ive been trying to find photos of said vehicle or other similar vehicles in Northern Ireland with their cannons attached....but to little or no avail.
    Last edited by rod and serpent; 27 October 2006, 22:43.

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied
    Looks to me like they have the turret turned through 180 degrees, so as to not appear as if they intend to shoot the demolition gun at the locals......

Leave a comment:

• rod and serpent
    replied

The centurion has had its gun removed or covered up.

Leave a comment:

• rod and serpent
    replied
    It was not a centurian tank proper, it a was a sapper/ engineer version possibly used as an armoured bulldozer.

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/melaugh/portfolio2/f2p38.htm
    Last edited by rod and serpent; 27 October 2006, 17:26.

Leave a comment:

• California Tanker
    replied
    I can confirm that Centurion AVREs (with the 165mm demo gun) were used in NI, but I am unaware of any other heavy track usage. Withdrawn mainly for political/perception reasons.

NTM

Leave a comment:

• Rooster
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    I did see a mention of centurion ARVE in a photo some place..but this would have been with the Royal engineers. These were mentioned in relation to the troubles in the late sixties..I wonder would these be the 'tanks" in question.

In answer to your question Rooster..tanks are very rarely brought any where under their own power..they normally are carried from one location to another on transporters, due to wear on tracks and enormous fuel consumption.
    Yeah, I know but the point I was making was that whenever they are used there gonna wreck the local area, so if they were used even a little bit the tax payer would still be picking up one hell of a bill.

Leave a comment:

• spider
    replied
    Joshua, that settles that debate, good thinking !!

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    I did see a mention of centurion ARVE in a photo some place..but this would have been with the Royal engineers. These were mentioned in relation to the troubles in the late sixties..I wonder would these be the 'tanks" in question.

In answer to your question Rooster..tanks are very rarely brought any where under their own power..they normally are carried from one location to another on transporters, due to wear on tracks and enormous fuel consumption.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 8 September 2006, 21:34.

Leave a comment:

• Rooster
    replied
    Don't tracked vehicles also do a lot of damage to the roads?

Leave a comment:

• Joshua
    replied
    To: rhqrtr@btconnect.com
    Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 2:07 PM
    Subject: Centurions in Omagh?

Dear Sir,

I am trying to settle a debate on http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showthread.php?t=9488

The question is whether there was a tank squadron consisting of Centurions based in Omagh in the late 50’s early 60’s?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Dear Mr ******,
    Many thanks for your e mail. 2 RTR were based in Omagh in the early 60s, I can confirm that they definitely did not have any Centurions, their Sqns were equiped with both Saladins and Ferret Scout Cars.
    I hope this helps.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi all
    I dunno, might have saved a lot of future bother if the tanks had been let loose. I can't help thinking that if the British Army really had taken the gloves off, they would have squashed the IRA. People who think the total casualty rate and economic cost of the NI conflict was excessive haven't been reading their history books. NI got off lightly compared to other countries and it's still British territory. If the conflict had inflicted heavy casualty rates on the Southern population, then you'd have seen real action being taken by our Government, instead of the appeasement of the IRA.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• spider
    replied
    Paul, that might be right enough if he was RTR, they were here in 1962.

Re Motorman, AFAIK the tanks were shipped in on a RFA. They were of the engineering variety and had no main armament http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/melaugh/portfolio2/f2p37.htm

I think both of you are right in your reasons as to why they were withdrawn, it certainly was a gaffe of the highest order to use tanks when they could have cleared the areas on foot, secured a perimeter and used JCB's :redface:

Interesting short article http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwa..._tank_07.shtml

Tracked vehicles were not going to look good. That is why these yokes were pressed into service http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/melaugh/portfolio2/f2p36.htm

Note the desert camoflague.

Leave a comment:

• paul g
    replied
    He told me he was in the RTR, he said that one squadron was equipped with Centurions, the others with armoured cars, and the date would be late 1950's early 1960's, just wondering if his story checked out.

Leave a comment:

• Steamy Window
    replied
    Or was it that they didnt want the negative press which would come from having tanks on British streets, like Prague in 1968 (which I have read was the real reason)?

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi all
    Centurion bulldozer tanks were used to breach barricades in Operation Motorman. I read somewhere that the BA decided to withdraw the heavy armour when they realised that they would be too vulnerable in urban operations.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X