Opinions On Knee Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions On Knee Pads

ok, so mine is they are one of the most useless items a soldier can have for regular combat type exercises and operations.

most of the time, from what i've seen in other armies who use them extensively, they spend their lives dangling out of the wearers' ankles, instead of protecting their knees!

are they just another "fashionable" item that soldiers have picked up on or are they gaining wide use in the PDF and/or RDF. something that is just more weight for a soldier to carry and hang out of them if they are not fitting correctly around the knees.

for the record, way back in the days of the OG combats guys in my barracks had the tailor sew a piece of material closed by velcro inside the knees of the combat trouser. we cut pieces of kip mat to fit the new pocket and hey presto...instant kneepads that didn't move out of place. simply take them out when not on tactics or on inspections, etc. i still find it the best way to protect knees without clumsy pads.
    An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I recently participated in a small (ha!) spot of infantry tactics while on a course. I wore kneepads (made by Hatch), and frankly I'm thankful I had them. My knees aren't anywhere near as wrecked as those of others who were doing the same amount as I was. For tabbing or route marching they're shite (so you lash them down around the top of your boot, where it won't annoy you), but if you're getting up and down from the kneeling position they're a godsend.

Other people on the same course did the trick with the roll mat in the knee of the trousers.....and at least one of them had his trousers split open right above the knee, because he'd weakened them making the hole for the roll mat.

Comment

When I'm firing pistol, I use one of those neoprene knee supports as a knee pad. When I'm not kneeling, it doesnt interfere with my movement.

The purpose made ones seem to be another unwanted item of gucci kit. Anywhere other than fibua they are pointless. More practical, I understand is to sew a bit of kip mat into the kneecap of the combats, or to take the pads out of Snickers Workwear.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I used knee pads for the first time during a week and a half of FIBUA down in Davis a few weeks ago. Must say I'll be wearing them for Urban Ops again. Absolutley brilliant. Used the ones I have from work. When doing conventional green field tactics, I dont bother with them. But they are worth the weight to carry, if you can call them that. Mine only weigh about 200g.
        Attached Files
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

I know a few ladies in the DFTC

that would wear out knee pads
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

HAHAHA. ROFL
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

Comment

I used them on a FIBUA Ex........ And they were quite useful.

But like ZULU said...... You wouldn't use them for conventional tactics.

Comment

I wore a knee pad while doing fibua, yes I know I said a knee pad,I only had time to put on one after only borrowing them about 2 mins before the exercise started. It was a godsend, there were a couple of deep scratches left in it aswell as glass and the like,but my knee that didn't have it was in a complete state, I hit it off so many things I could barely move it that evening.Mine didn't fall down around my ankles and I had forgotten I was wearing it a few times as it was so comfortable.

"But like ZULU said...... You wouldn't use them for conventional tactics."
                  Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

I got myself a pair of the Neoprone pads. Quality kit and I found them quite usefull on conventional tactics after years off ripping the hell outta the knees, i decided to check em out on "green field" terrain, i wore the pad on the knee i prefer to ground and found it especially usefull when your "green field" terrain consists of rocks and riverbeds...
                    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

paul and duffman,

seems wearing one pad is a common thing going by photos on various other forums. still....even more pointless than wearing 2! what happens when you have to ground the other unpadded knee?
                      Last edited by X-RayOne; 31 July 2007, 12:22.
                      An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

There gonna be on General Issue soon enough..

Comment

Not to everyone though
                          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                            what happens when have to ground the other unpadded knee?

that knee get destroyed and i did explain why i only had the one on,i'll never make that mistake again.
                            Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

The idea of the one pad only possibly comes from the idea that firers will only take up a firing position on one knee.

In a perfect world....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X