Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Combat Vests in RDF

ok folks,

i haven't had any serious dealings with RDF since i left FCA many moons ago.

i'm wondering what is the uptake on combat vests (and private purchase webbing)nowadays in the RDF. are they tolerated? do many personnel use them? with the introduction of IPLCE will (private purchase) they become more common? are the RDF generally still in the "uniformity" mode of attitude for field exercises.

just wondering as opinions have changed in PDF over the years regarding uniformity on the ground and with more experience on various overseas missions regarding webbing. and have read a few varied opinions in old posts when browsing through some of the kit threads today.
    Last edited by X-RayOne; 7 September 2007, 01:11.
    An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Generally speaking, most people in the RDF buy some type of belt order (whether it be protac, webtex, or proper PLCE). People I've seen with assault vests tend (note I said tend, I don't mean EVERYONE!) to only be trying to show off .I know of one person who spent a ridiculous amount on an assault vest, only to find out the first time he tried to wear it doing tactics that it made him sweat like a rapist. He immediately went out and invested in a set of PLCE. He's on this board, and trying to sell the assault vest, if anyone is interested Obviously in the PDF everyone tends to be wearing body armour, so putting an assault vest over it doesn't cause any extra sweating that isn't already caused by the body armour.

I personally happen to think that CEFO is about the best way to carry your stuff around when going for long walks in wooded areas avec rifle. Lots of space (until you fill it up with useless crap), and if you set it up right (so rarely done.....) it effectively becomes an extension of your body. And it supports your rucksack bergen too, which I like.

Comment

No, it's not me

Comment

For courses / working with PDF - it is often stricter - only PLCE

With the RDF unit - in my experience - if it does the job (& isn't for example as I had a case of Black South African webbing) its ok.

Comment

I have had a vest for about 3 years and nobody has ever told me I can't wear it.

I find it easier to move around with a vest than plce as all the weight is removed from my hips.
          I have heard of some people in other units (usually in the west) being told they can't wear it but usually by senior ranks who are resisting change big time.

I tend to see more and more pdf lads wearing vests on exercises lately but this could be down to the fact that they are wearing armour more often.

I saw a photo from Liberia about a year ago and the 4 lads in it were all wearing some kind of vest or chest rig.
          If I remember correctly thay were wearing:
          2x Protac tac vest
          1x WebTex tac vest
          1x Protac chest rig

The heat didnt seem to be bothering them.

Comment

I brought up a similar thought in the Integration thread. Our PDF training officer told us that due to the lack of PLCE around and with the new IPLCS not in, he would be more than accomodating if we wore any PLCE or LBE that we could get, provided it was in some way OD or DPM.

Then, when some of the Pln did the PSO during the summer, slotting into a PDF Coy, an officer told us that there was a directive stating that only issued equipment could be worn. Its not just PLCE or vests, there is also a huge array of backpacks being used as well.
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

It is because of Liberia and other overseas trips where the issue chest rig was insufficient to carry all the kit that the iplcs vest is being purchased.Also because the army want to get rid of the shitty plce backpack that is a claim waiting to happen since they lowered the height limit.
              I bought a vest many moons ago to take overseas and as long as i didnt wear it on inspections or displays for official visitors to the camp no one said anything.The "ok if its practical" attitude has been permeating in the pdf for the last 10-12 years after the private purchase of meindls started the ball rolling.
              I would say,to you if you are considering buying to try the plce first,and only buy if you can really justify the purchase.Then if you are buying get a decent vest.Dont buy wbtex.It's cheap crap and not IRR.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

"I bought a vest many moons ago to take overseas and as long as i didnt wear it on inspections or displays for official visitors to the camp no one said anything.The "ok if its practical" attitude has been permeating in the pdf for the last 10-12 years after the private purchase of meindls started the ball rolling."

that has certainly been the experience in my unit and carrying on through to tactics also. although i do remember a certain sergeant major having repeated canaries when guys wore both ammo pouches on their CEFO on duty parades!

i was just wondering if practical heads are prevailing in the RDF nowadays as in pictures on the site and others it seems to be quite tolerated.
                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                  i was just wondering if practical heads are prevailing in the RDF nowadays as in pictures on the site and others it seems to be quite tolerated.
                  In most cases the only thing a RDF unit has to issue is 58 pattern (mostly in bits and falling apart), so people are allowed wear their own CEFO. Even when PLCE is available, there is rarely (if ever) enough sets for everyone, so those who are happy using their own are allowed to use it.

Personally, if I was offered the option of drawing a set of PLCE or using my own, I'd use my own - it's set up, packed, and fits me perfectly. Not to mention that I don't have to take it apart and clean it before I hand it back.......

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                    Then, when some of the Pln did the PSO during the summer, slotting into a PDF Coy, an officer told us that there was a directive stating that only issued equipment could be worn. Its not just PLCE or vests, there is also a huge array of backpacks being used as well.
                    There is a directive there stating that only issue equipment is to be worn at all times.

This is due to the large amount of quality equipment available to the defence forces. At least someone up high has a sense of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                      There is a directive there stating that only issue equipment is to be worn at all times.

This is due to the large amount of quality equipment available to the defence forces. At least someone up high has a sense of humour.
                      Must get a photo of our '58 webbing the next time I'm in the stores, and then the brass can judge if there is a 'large amount of quality equipment available to the defence forces.'
                      Last edited by FMolloy; 16 September 2007, 12:55.
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post

Saw that letter too.Someone getting their knickers in a twist cos they went and bought stuff and the lads still wear what works and not what looks good.I wear my issue cefo with extra pouches for duty and nobody says anything cos most of the officers do the same.now that probably has to do with the fact that they are all the same colour.Lads mostly get away with etra ip-dpm pouches,but brit dpm ones are frowned upon.
                        Having said all that i will still wear my ip-dpm vest when operating with mowags or helis until i get issued one.Why?because it works and its practical.Not because it looks good.
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I hate that bullshit about people saying that lads are wearing kit to just look good, maybe there is a certain element that buys stuff because it looks gucci but those heads will be spotted a mile off for the muppets they are.

I've used webbing for years and recently made the transition to the Tac vest as a result of trying out one of the other lads vests and experiencing the benefits (increased mobility, practicality,agility and comfort etc) of the vest over webbing as opposed to looking cool.
                          "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                            Saw that letter too.Someone getting their knickers in a twist cos they went and bought stuff and the lads still wear what works and not what looks good.
                            Or if you are RDF, you wear your own stuff because there is nothing else serviceable to wear.

Comment

Should you wear the vest on security duties ? I think not.

If we're doing fib/dib or SIAs , yes, perhaps if you're not waltering.
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                              X