Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know where to get a montane in Dublin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know where to get a montane in Dublin?

I'd prefer to try it on before I buy. I've been told of a place in Newbridge but that's 90 minutes of travelling so does anyone know of anywhere within Dublin that stocks them?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

I was thinking more along the lines of their buffalo style thing...

edit: along the lines of this (click here)

Medium wouldn't fit me :( extra small all the way
    Last edited by johnny no stars; 26 September 2007, 23:48.

Comment

trying not to die of exposure. Some people here can vouch for just how cold I get and how quickly... despite the fact it may be a mild 8 or 9 degrees out and i'm wearing thermals and as many layers as i can get. Figured it might keep me nice and warm when I'm not doing a lot of moving. Want to try it on before I decide between that and a buffalo or snugpack...

Comment

All Seasons I'd say
        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

johnny, go to outdoor trek in swords. they're in the old shopping center off the main street.

they stock the montane extreme smocks and even had a few in the olive green last time i was in.

for sizing, i take a medium and am 40" chest so it might give you an idea of what size you would need. it should be a snug fit close to your body to be really effective. don't worry if your size not there though, the lads are excellent and can get in individual garments for you if you ask.

they are a great piece of kit. i swear by mine. but understand you need to be actively moving to get the best warmth out of them. if its mostly static insulation youre looking for a snugpak jacket might be better. as far as i remember, they had a few snugpaks in the shop last time also...so you might be able to compare.
          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
            they are a great piece of kit. i swear by mine. but understand you need to be actively moving to get the best warmth out of them. if its mostly static insulation youre looking for a snugpak jacket might be better. as far as i remember, they had a few snugpaks in the shop last time also...so you might be able to compare.
            I have a buffalo (which is slightly heavier than a montane), and I find that driflo tshirt + buffalo + smock (+ raingear if required) is lovely and warm when static. Just have to remember to take the buffalo off before you move anywhere, or you end up sweating buckets!

Comment

Well, I tried on a size 36 buffalo and it was swimming on me... and that appears to be the smallest they do :-/

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
                Well, I tried on a size 36 buffalo and it was swimming on me... and that appears to be the smallest they do :-/

'kin hell, is that a picture of you in your avitar?

a size 36 buffalo fits my wife - who's a size 8. did they not teach you how to eat at school?

wouldn't recommend a 'filled' jacket in any circumstances where it might get wet, i bought a Snugpak softie shirt (think of a buffalo type thing with a 'softie' fill instead of pile lining) and while it was wonderfully warm and comfy, it was utterly pants once it got wet. a pile smock, whether Montane, Buffalo, Snugpak or Mardale, will at least still be warm if it gets soaked, and they all dry out pretty quickly - i reckon my montane can go from utterly dripping to dry if i put it on and walk around for half an hour.

Comment

You want a nice lumberjack shirt....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                    a size 36 buffalo fits my wife - who's a size 8. did they not teach you how to eat at school?
                    Nope, we didn't have a canteen. Seriously. Eh, actually size 36 is roughly equivilant to a size 12... I'm a dress size 6-8 and need a 32 or 34 honestly... 32" chest is generally taken as the standard for size 8

Comment

female montane smocks are made down to 32" chests according to their website.

only downside is they come in any colour as long as its red or black! not very tactical unfortunately.

if you're seriously wanting one, you could send them an e-mail asking about about doing a one off in olive in a girlie size. montane is a fairly small company so they may be able to give you a dig out?
                      An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                        only downside is they come in any colour as long as its red or black! not very tactical unfortunately.
                        Realistically speaking you should always have a DPM outer layer (or OG if you're wearing your pool raingear ), so a black montane isn't going to be much of a tactical hinderance. I'd seriously question the IRR properties of all the products mentioned here, so even at night they shouldn't be worn as an outer layer.

A green one looks so much more warry, though

Comment

fair point barry, but not every situation where these things are worn are tactical situations and i've worn the top as an outer layer on many occasions. all you need are a few ncos and officers with a common sense approach to dress.

so really i wouldn't like to see johnny no stars become the platoon heatseaker as she parades around in her red or black top!! its green or just wear the issue.

Comment

aha! didn't know you were a bird, i thought you were some underfed 14 year old!

can't reccomend the ladies montane highly enough, my sister has one and thinks its better - not just in laydeez fit - than the blokes one. deeper main pocket, vertical zips - ala buffalo - unlike the slanted zips in the blokes version, and a little zipped pocket on the upper arm.

Craigdon Mountain Sports have them, obviously its just a little far for a touchy-feely job, but when my sis was looking for one she gave her measurements over the phone and the girl in the shop faffed about with a tape measure to ensure she was able to send the right size. they are a great www retailer and are quite happy to go the extra mile to provide good service.

the limited number of laydee smocks montane - and its retailers - sell mean you're going to have real fun funding one to try on - even hardcore montane dealers like Winwood in Keswick don't stock them.

if you are going for a womens version i think you'll just have to take the plunge and get in on t'interweb, but from what i've seen of the features and fit on my sisters its well worth it.

E2A: as for getting it in in Green, mardale (ok, a slightly smaller co than montane) have done loads of stuff in non-standard colours at no extra cost, so i shouldn't imagine Montane having too much of a problem - especially if you need it because you're going somewhere cold, like Kabul.
                            Last edited by ropebag; 1 October 2007, 19:25.

Comment

aha! didn't know you were a bird, i thought you were some underfed 14 year old!
                              I hope to sweet heaven that is not your chat up line
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X