have you ever gone "ally"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have you ever gone "ally"?

'Allyness' is best described as military fashion sense, i.e. wearing various non-issue items, or modifying issue clothing or equipment in order to look subtly different to one's peers. This can cause chaos when the entire battalion is trying to do the same thing; "Oh my God, he's wearing the same smock as me!" a uk term but have you ever gone "ally"? eg 58 belt with jumper = ally , old school
    :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Ally or whatever is a term used on Arrse constantly

why are we so intent on copying them in our terminology

Bergan- Walt- Ally- Brew

why cant we say back pact

spoofer

Jilty

cup of tea

FFS- we are the land of yeats- Kavanagh- and that great writer of fiction

that came up with intergration and A7
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

hear,hear let me rephrase "has one ever modified one's kit in order to stand out from the crowd"?
      :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

Ally or whatever is a term used on Arrse constantly
        why are we so intent on copying them in our terminology
        Dunno,we use Gucci dont we?

Bergan-
        Dont have a problem with that one is it is the correct term.(deja vu?)
        Walt-
        Only if you are talking about airsofters and those in the fca with giant hunting knives taped upside down on their webbing.

Ally is a purely british term which has no place here.Actually it sounds like a gay hangout

why cant we say back pact
        Is that a chiropractors agreement??? :biggrin
        Last edited by apod; 15 February 2008, 14:18.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post

those in the fca with giant hunting knives taped upside down on their webbing.
          dam 62nd bn, giving the rest of us a bad name
          Or at least an even worse name
          courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Dunno,we use Gucci dont we?
            Gucci denotes either a really good piece of kit

or a genuine piece as opposed to a Mingi ( fake) piece of kit

Bergan-

Dont have a problem with that one is it is the correct term.(deja vu?)
            of course its the correct term

as long as your serving in the British Army

us in the Irish Army use the term "Backpack"

there is nothing romantic or sensational about it but hey lets call it by its proper name

Walt-

Only if you are talking about airsofters and those in the fca with giant hunting knives taped upside down on their webbing.

walt equates to spoofer

Airsoft are NOT let me make this clear for you NOT spoofers

they are a bunch who have a hobby that harms no one-

have a look back at the closed "airsoft thread"

none of the real Soldiers on here both PDF or RDF have actually criticised the

airsofters- all the real Soldiers have adopted a policy of live and let live

the only ones who have slagged them off are those who are so insecure in their

soldiering abilities that they have to find a person or an organisation

who they feel they are superior to

I am afraid APOD that Beret fits you very well.
            Last edited by hedgehog; 15 February 2008, 19:23.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

there is nothing romantic or sensational about it but hey lets call it by its proper name
              Actually, if you want to get pedantic - The old PLCE Bergen was officially called a "rucksack" (PLCE Manual) and the Rocket pouches as "Side Pouches"
              The newer IPLCS Backpacks are officially called the Main Pack and the Patrol Pack (TI 13/07 & AAE 04/07). The word rucksack is also used in the Training Instructions for the larger pack.

Personally refer to it as the Bergen.

Comment

I think that seeing as they invented it by asking manufacturers in the norwegian town of bergan (from which it takes its name) to make the first ones during ww2 that they got to christen it.But hey,you allready knew this.

walt equates to spoofer
                Agreed

Airsoft are NOT let me make this clear for you NOT spoofers
                Anybody who goes around with a plastic gun wearing gucci kit that they have no legitimate use for ,other than to look like something they are not is a spoofer in my book.So if a walt is a spoofer..............

Except their own credibility.Oh and the d.f's public image if they do it in our uniforms.

none of the real Soldiers on here both PDF or RDF have actually criticised the

airsofters- all the real Soldiers have adopted a policy of live and let live
                actually a few of us real soldiers did.

the only ones who have slagged them off are those who are so insecure in their

soldiering abilities that they have to find a person or an organisation

who they feel they are superior to
                I am VERY secure in my soldiering ability thank you very much.I dont consider myself superior to anyone .However i am entitled to my opinion that these people are walts.My opinion of them does not make me less of a soldier.My service ,while not being as long as yours, speaks for me.

I am afraid APOD that Beret fits you very well.
                No ,not really,but hey if you want to get personal i believe your dislike of british military terms is typical of a certain breed of pro republican irish soldier who disparages anything even remotely smacking of "the Brits".I am an irish soldier,i wear the irish uniform,i swore an oath of allegiance to this country.That does not mean that by calling a backpack "bergan" when thats what it was originally called when it was invented makes me less irish. If it or any other item of kit was made in another country and called by another name in that countries parlance would you have a problem with it? I think not. P.l.c.e is p.lc.e isnt it? And "they" invented it and called it that.
                Who's the really insecure one now?:confused:
                Last edited by apod; 16 February 2008, 18:40. Reason: To correct poor grammer and to satisfy hedgehogs love of pedantry!
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

hedgehog, you might want to have a look at a British and Irish tacaide side by side and see if you can spot the difference. A lot of what the Irish army do is copied piecemeal from the Brits. Our uniforms are almost identitical in design, for instance. Our PLCE is a shite copy of theirs. Drill, tactics, uniforms.....hell, we might as well ask for the Regimental Colours of the Irish Regiments of the British Army (which were returned in 1922) back.

So you'll forgive me for feeling ally when I take my gucci brew kit out of my bergen. You hat

Comment

Originally posted by flash bang View Post
                    'Allyness' is best described as military fashion sense, i.e. wearing various non-issue items, or modifying issue clothing or equipment in order to look subtly different to one's peers. This can cause chaos when the entire battalion is trying to do the same thing; "Oh my God, he's wearing the same smock as me!" a uk term but have you ever gone "ally"? eg 58 belt with jumper = ally , old school
                    So here's the ARRSE definition of "allyness"...http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Ally

What's your definition of Irish Army "ally"???
                    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

losing one of your ammo pouches and changing it for a utility pouch, have done it for years. comes in handy for tac aide/7.62 belt

Comment

Personally refer to it as the Bergen.
                        You can call it a turkeys handerchief for all I care-

I just dread / hate despise ther term bergan because someone seen it on a telly show

featuring the Brits (note the capital letter) and think its a cool term to use because

the Brits (note the capital) use it-

hedgehog, you might want to have a look at a British and Irish tacaide side by side and see if you can spot the difference.
                        If I can spot 5 differences will you donate 50 Euro to the board

lets make it 10 differences

Actually, if you want to get pedantic - .
                        Man I love getting Pedantic- its my hobby.

Apod have a look at your post and if your happy it with- I will then comment on it.

Comment

You can call it a turkeys handerchief for all I care-

I just dread / hate despise ther term bergan because someone seen it on a telly show

featuring the Brits (note the capital letter) and think its a cool term to use because

the Brits (note the capital) use it-
                          And you are telling me how to write?Maybe people use the term because that is the term they like to use.I use bergan you use backpack.Some call it a rucksack.However you are ramming it down our throats that bergan is an incorrect term because it's used by the british army.Give me a break.Nearly every item of kit we have is influenced by the Brits.We use their sleeping system,we use their webbing(for the moment),our clothing system is influenced by theirs.Whats the problem?

Man I love getting Pedantic- its my hobby.
                          each to there own.

Apod have a look at your post and if your happy it with- I will then comment on it
                          Thank you sir ,my homework is ready.Who is acting superior now?Get off the high horse that you accuse me of sitting on.

P.s: To all the other board members here i apologise for my ranting on.However i will not accept a fellow soldier casting dispersions on my soldiering ability because i happen to think that airsofters are walts.After sixteen years in uniform,11 of those as line Infantry ,not in office jobs,i think i have earned the right to cry foul when someone gets personal over a difference of opinion.:wink:

Comment

think that seeing as they invented it by asking manufacturers in the norwegian town of bergan (from which it takes its name) to make the first ones during ww2 that they got to christen it.But hey,you allready knew this.
                            The Brits (capitals - my boy , capitals) and the Norweigans invented back packs

in 1942- wow and I was thinking that particular mode of lugging stuff was around

long before that- if your wrong in this small point- what about your big points-

Son- check your facts-

Except their own credibility.Oh and the d.f's public image if they do it in our uniforms.
                            what airsofter has affected the credibility of the DF- any of the recent incidents
                            have been PDF and RDF- I dont think that they have impacted on our creibiliity
                            but evidently you with your massive amount of service and not in an office job
                            (why do you need to justify yourself in that regard- whats wrong with clerks
                            they also serve who sit and wait etc )

I am VERY secure in my soldiering ability thank you very much.I dont consider myself superior to anyone .However i am entitled to my opinion that these people are walts.My opinion of them does not make me less of a soldier.My service ,while not being as long as yours, speaks for me.
                            your not really secure in yourself as a Soldier or as a person

thats why you are leading the mealy mouth attack on air softers- you need to have someone to look down on to validate yourself

but we are in the position - that either you know this is so and wont say anything
                            or you dont even realise it- but when you get older and more service in the Defence Forces
                            you will realise it

No ,not really,but hey if you want to get personal i believe your dislike of british military terms is typical of a certain breed of pro republican irish soldier who disparages anything even remotely smacking of "the Brits"
                            This here is a ridicolous rant- if you even went to the bother of looking up my Anti SF posts you would have realised how silly this portion was
                            it came from nowhere and had nothing to do with what was other wise a mature debate
                            you actually lost your argument here.

I did offer you the chance to review your post - I was extremely fair to you but you said

Apod have a look at your post and if your happy it with- I will then comment on it

Thank you sir ,my homework is ready.Who is acting superior now?Get off the high horse that you accuse me of sitting on.
                            some homework young man.

After sixteen years in uniform,11 of those as line Infantry ,not in office jobs,i think i have earned the right to cry foul when someone gets personal over a difference of opinion.
                            after 24 and a bit service in Uniform and ALL of them in a line Infantry Unit so on and so on

but maybe when your a bit more senior you will realise my point

regards

HH

Oh in case your in doubt I specifically left you out of the real Soldier category because

Comment

Originally posted by flash bang View Post
                              losing one of your ammo pouches and changing it for a utility pouch, have done it for years. comes in handy for tac aide/7.62 belt
                              If you look at the DF PLCE video, this is how the PLCE was originally worn in the DF
                              for Fighting Order.... think it was the RH hand pouch that was a utility pouch, or was
                              it a gas mask pouch?

Of course, the modes of wear have changed slightly since then
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                              X