Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E&E/grab bags

Lads,

What would the opinions be of E&E bags/grab bags/murses/battle bags from the lads here? I see they're becoming increasingly popular on ops, particularly with vehicle-bound troops. But is there a place for them in the type of infantry work done within the DF?

I was thinking it could be handy if you're a 2FSG for carrying the tool belt, boxed ammo and with an LMG and smoke pouches attached to it for additional CEFO. It would be advantageous over a daysack insomuch that you can just swing the bag round to the front to access it, rather than take it off all together.
    Or perhaps if you're a Pln/Coy runner, and need to bring mags and bombs up to the sections it would be handy?

I wouldn't think it ideal for long range patrols, given the uneven weight distribution on your back, but then again, from what I've seen so far, long range patrols aren't really done a lot in the RDF.

Thoughts please.....

I' ve seen these in Brit DPM (or something similar) in a surplus shop in
    Cambridge recently... Would be ideal for the latter use you quote
    - i.e; the ammo runner

And I can't disagree with your suggestion for carrying a GPMG toolkit aswell
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
      I was thinking it could be handy if you're a 2FSG for carrying the tool belt, boxed ammo and with an LMG and smoke pouches attached to it for additional CEFO. It would be advantageous over a daysack insomuch that you can just swing the bag round to the front to access it, rather than take it off all together.
      i would think it would just swing around the front of you every time you ran and went prone, went to crawl anywhere, getting over obsticles, etc. the time advantage of swinging it around to get stuff out without having to take off would be far outweighed by the annoyance od always shoving it around to the back time and time again.

the daysack works well, can be compacted down nicely if empty-ish, is in linw with your centre of gravity and streamlined behind you. better carrying capacity too. i think that bag would be on the small side for ammo resupply, runner, etc.
      An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Man bag
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
          Lads,

What would the opinions be of E&E bags/grab bags/murses/battle bags from the lads here? I see they're becoming increasingly popular on ops, particularly with vehicle-bound troops. But is there a place for them in the type of infantry work done within the DF?

Or perhaps if you're a Pln/Coy runner, and need to bring mags and bombs up to the sections it would be handy?

I wouldn't think it ideal for long range patrols, given the uneven weight distribution on your back, but then again, from what I've seen so far, long range patrols aren't really done a lot in the RDF.

Thoughts please.....
          I'd rather keep the daysack personally.

Sure it'd be handy if you were 2 FSG on a SIA or runner during a PIA and you were working out of a billet or camp.

On ops though? Or while out for 48 hours or more?

No thanks, I'll stick with the daysack.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
            Man bag
            Indiana Jones had one.

Comment

looks like a good idea if you are primarily based out of a vehicle or driver but for day today work a grab sack would be far superior. with any weight in it id say it would bounce like a fat man on a trampoline , a bit like the large PLCE respirator pouch
              as for the plt runner a sandbag will do the job and you don't have to worry about it if your position is changed .
              "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Would be good for some ops but what if for example you want to carry more water, boxed & belted ammo, TAMs, wet gear etc

I was thinking of getting one coming up to Ogham Stone & the assessments but I've decided they are way too small for what I need.

Comment

Just while on the subject of daysacks, a question for our PDF bretheren here....

Can you guys comfortably raise the head (so as to aim a rifle, for
                  instance) when prone and wearing a helmet, while wearing the issue (Lowe Alpine) daysack ?
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    Just while on the subject of daysacks, a question for our PDF bretheren here....

Can you guys comfortably raise the head (so as to aim a rifle, for
                    instance) when prone and wearing a helmet, while wearing the issue (Lowe Alpine) daysack ?
                    Never really had that problem so personally, I'd say yes.

Some lads have problems with it because they wear it too high up on there back.

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                      i would think it would just swing around the front of you every time you ran and went prone, went to crawl anywhere, getting over obsticles, etc. the time advantage of swinging it around to get stuff out without having to take off would be far outweighed by the annoyance od always shoving it around to the back time and time again.
                      I suppose this would remedy the bouncing issue, as it can be strapped around your waist as well as your chest, but I see and agree with your point.

This is smaller than the manbag, but with some LMG pouches will hold around 300-600 rounds of link ammo.

Admittedly, I wear a chestrig, so the idea of wearing a manbag or bandolier slung beneath it seems more practical than if I were wearing a belt kit. I also tend to find myself on the FSG a lot too, so I suppose I'm looking more at accessible ammo solutions as well.

Comment

There's a video HERE promoting the use of a modular bandolier panel over the canadian assault vest. I don't think it looks too bad myself.

Comment

If the daysack is very full it is hard to compress it down so it is hard to look up when lying prone. Not impossible though, just uncomfortable
                          "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Well the only advantage this man bag yoke has over a daysack is that you can access it quickly. But really the only thing you'd have in a daysack that you'd need quick access to is reserve ammo.

For anything else (wet gear, maps, rations etc.) access as quick as that isn't necessary, because your not really going to be looking for them when under fire.

Considering it's lack of carrying capacity and that it would bounce all over the place it wouldn't be a good alternative to a daysack.

The modular bandoleer might work in conjunction with a daysack instead of an actual alternative. But the straps on the bandoleer might get caught up with the shoulder and waist straps of the daysack.

But it can't really be compared to a daysack, it's really more like an extension of your webbing or vest.
                            Last edited by spaceghetti; 8 December 2009, 01:40.

Comment

Who makes the grab bag?

Comment

Working...
                              X