Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasia
    replied
    Canes have been in use in the Cadet School for many many decades.

Cane drill was on the syllabus.

Invariably, the canes were shorter by the end of each Class as they were just wooden dowels with a 9mm casing on each end and the dowels got broken easily

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    Both the Ceremonial Cane and newly designed uniform were in play long before the Pandemic so not a fair assessment.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    In a world where we are being banjoed with duties and work and low pay the DF responds in 2020, with a global pandemic going with

Swagger Sticks for BSMs and for the rest of you

"I know lets get rid of the pockets off the shirts"

inspired stuff lads

Leave a comment:

• Flamingo
    replied
    Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    I'm sure like anything issued, if you are deficient in a kit inspection, you'll probably have to be able to account for it, or else to stump up?
    I was mor thinking about the build-up that it's been given, like having a battalion colours. As well as the cost, the number of beers/shorts that would have the be put behind the mess bar would probably bankrupt the individual!

Leave a comment:

• Captain Edmund Blackadder
    replied
    Originally posted by smegers View Post
    At least a pace stick is practical unlike a swagger stick.
    I certainly wouldn't want to face a German machine gun without mine.

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    Originally posted by smegers View Post
    Wrong. There is a practical purpose for both.

The idea behind the cane or swagger stick is for indicating faults during inspection.
    It is impolite to point with one's finger.
    Commissioned and Warrant Officers, being gentlemen carry a stick under their arm to indicate faults in a soldiers dress or deportment during inspection.
    Thus maintaining proper social etiquette and the dignity of both individuals.

(That and the Fact the Drill looks shit hot on parade. RSM Dunlea used to carry one on Parade when I went through Recruit Training in the old CTD S with Moses and Ben Hur. Always look Gildy as Fcuk)

Leave a comment:

• smegers
    replied

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Never seen pace stick in the DF . Definite bang of "next door" off them

Leave a comment:

• northie
    replied
    Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    No pace stick?
    No. Only a few individuals I've seen in my time in the DF ever carried one, most had them as family heirlooms, I haven't seen any members of the DF actually using them for the purpose of measuring.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
    God help the first one who "misplaces" (ie loses) it!
    I'm sure like anything issued, if you are deficient in a kit inspection, you'll probably have to be able to account for it, or else to stump up?

Leave a comment:

• Flamingo
    replied
    Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    No pace stick?
    God help the first one who "misplaces" (ie loses) it!

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Originally posted by apod View Post
    MOD: Topic gents. Take RDF establishment talk to the "Future of the RDF thread".

PS: Before we do though Why would you need RDF BSM's when there are no RDF BATTALIONS???????
    Same reason you have 5 RDF Lt Cols....

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    MOD: Topic gents. Take RDF establishment talk to the "Future of the RDF thread".

PS: Before we do though Why would you need RDF BSM's when there are no RDF BATTALIONS???????
    Last edited by apod; 26 September 2020, 09:40.

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
    Because a few well placed individuals sold out the RDF for person fulfillment - RDF ID cards, Sam Brownes, peaked caps (that didn't last long) and jobs for their friends
    Load of bollocks

Leave a comment:

• Fantasia
    replied
    Originally posted by ODIN View Post
    Last tangent post, but agree with this so much! We went from a time where every FCA/RDF BN had a reserve Sgt Maj, but no RDF officers over the rank of Commandant to five (?) RDF Lt. Cols and one Sgt Maj.
    Because a few well placed individuals sold out the RDF for person fulfillment - RDF ID cards, Sam Brownes, peaked caps (that didn't last long) and jobs for their friends

Leave a comment:

Working...
X