Single boot concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by apod View Post
    AS for the Black Eagle. My biggest gripe with the proposed boot is that the colour is too light(coyote not brown) and will be too hard to maintain.
    My only complaint with the Haix Scout, only really used while walking the dog and practicing rucks, they do get quite dirty. Suede brush works for most dirt, but some stuff is quite hard to clean off.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• You using anything other than a brush to maintain them??
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Have used the Nikwax for treating and waterproofing. Also came across a Kiwi Suede and Nubuck treatment to clean them.

Comment

• Try this stuff once cleaned. Brix don't have it on their webpage(last time I looked) but can get it for you once you give them the right stock number. (900082)
          Not as cheap as in the UK though.

https://www.haix.co.uk/haix-shoe-car...e-leather-75ml

On a side note. I saw one of our RDF lads (You know who you are) wearing a pair of the German BW version of the scouts. Much darker colour. Similar to UK MoD Brown. Much better colour for hiding small stains etc. IMHO we should have gone that colour but it was probably cheaper to buy the standard version.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Try this stuff once cleaned. Brix don't have it on their webpage(last time I looked) but can get it for you once you give them the right stock number. (900082)
            Not as cheap as in the UK though.

On a side note. I saw one of our RDF lads (You know who you are) wearing a pair of the German BW version of the scouts. Much darker colour. Similar to UK MoD Brown. Much better colour for hiding small stains etc. IMHO we should have gone that colour but it was probably cheaper to buy the standard version.
            Cheers apod, I'll take a look. I've got a pair of the German ones, wonder will I get pulled up if I wear them!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post

Cheers apod, I'll take a look. I've got a pair of the German ones, wonder will I get pulled up if I wear them!!
              Why would you. If you use the proper care products the off the shelf Scouts tend to darken anyway. The AR guy I saw wearing them was on Duty that day. Nothing in Regs to say AR can't wear the Scouts. Perhaps keep them for Duties or Exercises for the time being. Once Training nights open up obviously wear the same as everyone else.

Comment

• After all that it's now going on issue. Four months after the Scouts went on General issue and three years after they started trialling and issuing them for Overseas.
                Better late than never I suppose.

Comment

• Recruits at my callsign issued Haix Scout as their Operational boot alongside the Magnums. Tells me that the Old Haix is now out of stock and they are getting down to the last of the Magnums.
                  New Barrack boot/Light operational (Haix Black eagle in Coyote Brown) due to go on issue in the Autumn. An era of Recruits spending hours polishing boots is coming to an end. Not sure if that's a good thing. On one hand it was a nause to do it but on the other hand it encouraged pride in ones appearance and discipline to achieve.

Recruits ceremonial boots should be like glass in terms of reflection going forward no they will have one less pair of boots to polish!!!

Comment

• No more bulling the boots so :( End of an era indeed.

Comment

Recruits at my callsign issued Haix Scout as their Operational boot alongside the Magnums. Tells me that the Old Haix is now out of stock and they are getting down to the last of the Magnums.
                      New Barrack boot/Light operational (Haix Black eagle in Coyote Brown) due to go on issue in the Autumn. An era of Recruits spending hours polishing boots is coming to an end. Not sure if that's a good thing. On one hand it was a nause to do it but on the other hand it encouraged pride in ones appearance and discipline to achieve.

Recruits ceremonial boots should be like glass in terms of reflection going forward no they will have one less pair of boots to polish!!!
                      So, out of idle curiosity, I Googled "Haix Black Eagle Coyote" for an image

Is it this (which is an a short calf height boot, seems shorter than the Haix Scout, from the picture)?
                      https://www.tacwrk.com/en/p/haix-bla...d-coyote-36121

Or this (which appears to be of a similar calf height to the current Magnums)?
                      https://armyworld.pl/product-eng-156...I-Quality.html
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• So.... I remember asking this a while back (think it was you, Apod?).... how to determine the correct size of Haix Scout boot?

As ye all know, various boots fit feet differently, so the Size 10 of one type of boot, which fits your Size 10 foot perfectly, this might not be the case for another type of boot
                        (e.g. have to go up a half or full size for correct fit)

So I saw this on the Haix Germany website:
                        https://www.haix.de/haix-scout-2.0

There's a button marked "Determine Your Size" , which pops up a neat graphic

Basically, you measure your foot from the heel to the tip of your big toe, in centimetres, and punch this into the calculator, which in turn, pops up the recommended size for your foot measurement

Probably would be a good idea to carry out the measurement on BOTH feet and go with the larger of the two...

Handy given that we can't try stuff on, or might not be feasible to travel to vendor location to do so....
                        Last edited by Truck Driver; 21 June 2021, 21:58.
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Is it this (which is an a short calf height boot, seems shorter than the Haix Scout, from the picture)?

It's this one.Having seen a picture of the version on trial the colour seems more like a desert boot than the "MoD brown" pictured.Perhaps the issue version will be the more practical darker brown.And that they go for the non GTX variant.(Hopefully)

As for the sizing on the Scouts. I normally take a Size 9 in most footwear. The nines in the Scouts when wearing the new issue socks (or winter Bridgedales) would have been too tight so I went for a 10 as the DF only issue full sizes.

My Scouts that I bought myself IOT have two pairs of boots to rotate (when the single boot concept was still alive) are a 9.5 and are a better fit even with light socks.

Last edited by apod; 21 June 2021, 19:51.

Comment

It's this one.Having seen a picture of the version on trial the colour seems more like a desert boot than the "MoD brown" pictured. Perhaps the issue version will be the more practical darker brown. And that they go for the non GTX variant.(Hopefully)
                            Having seen photos of the two colours, absolutely agree that the brown variant, rather than the coyote variant, would be much more practical from the point of view of concealing blemishes better
                            Last edited by Truck Driver; 22 June 2021, 12:35.

Comment

It's this one.Having seen a picture of the version on trial the colour seems more like a desert boot than the "MoD brown" pictured.Perhaps the issue version will be the more practical darker brown.And that they go for the non GTX variant.(Hopefully)

As for the sizing on the Scouts. I normally take a Size 9 in most footwear. The nines in the Scouts when wearing the new issue socks (or winter Bridgedales) would have been too tight so I went for a 10 as the DF only issue full sizes.

My Scouts that I bought myself IOT have two pairs of boots to rotate (when the single boot concept was still alive) are a 9.5 and are a better fit even with light socks.
                              apod - so from your post above, you'd recommend a 1/2 size larger than normal boot size for the Scouts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

apod - so from your post above, you'd recommend a 1/2 size larger than normal boot size for the Scouts?
                                Yes. 100%. Also if you are gonna buy a pair for field use.Go on line and search for the Bundeswehr version. It retains the speed lace system as on the DF variant but is a darker brown.Much better for field use.

Comment

Working...
                                X