Single boot concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wiggles View Post
    So in the infinite wisdom of the DF we now essentially have two pairs of warm weather / summer boots and nothing suited to winter be it at home or overseas, what an absolute cluster.
    Not true. The scouts are Goretex lined, Worn with winter socks they are fine in cold weather.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post

Not true. The scouts are Goretex lined, Worn with winter socks they are fine in cold weather.
      How are they in summer in Mali, the Leb or Golan?

Comment

• They are a 3 season / autumnal boot at best, there's no substitute for a full leather combat boot in winter.

I can assure you, having worn them in the winter overseas, they are not warm even when paired with winter socks, the mesh panels provide far too much ventilation.

On the flip side, in the hot weather the gore-tex lining does not allow your feet to breath sufficiently leaving your socks sodden.

I can't understand the industry obsession with gore-tex, particularly in military applications. It hampers ventilation, and doesn't provide as much water resistance as a properly treated pair of leather boots.

Combat boots by their very nature are often submerged in water, a gore-tex lined boot then takes longer to dry than one without.

Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind

Comment

They are a 3 season / autumnal boot at best, there's no substitute for a full leather combat boot in winter.

I can assure you, having worn them in the winter overseas, they are not warm even when paired with winter socks, the mesh panels provide far too much ventilation.

On the flip side, in the hot weather the gore-tex lining does not allow your feet to breath sufficiently leaving your socks sodden.

I can't understand the industry obsession with gore-tex, particularly in military applications. It hampers ventilation, and doesn't provide as much water resistance as a properly treated pair of leather boots.

Combat boots by their very nature are often submerged in water, a gore-tex lined boot then takes longer to dry than one without.

Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind
          I've worn them hillwalking in freezing December/January weather through icy puddles and muck. 4 Season merino wool Bridgedale socks. Never had cold feet.On the flip side I have worn them in Heatwaves here over the last couple of summers in the field with Bridgedale 2 season Merino wool socks.Again.No issues.
          Boots alone will not keep your feet warm or cool. Your socks play a big part and the issue socks are crap. I have worn the issue coolmax with them day to day and my feet sweat like f**k when wearing them. Coolmax my ass.

You don't need to school me on Gore tex mate but nowadays all goretex is not alike. There are different grades and applications. The old goretex in summer would cook your feet and take days to dry out if water got in. The new gen.Not so much. Agree to disagree though.

Having said that I hope the new Barrack boots are unlined. Gore lining for day to day barrack boots is overkill.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I recommend meindl kampfstiefel leicht great all-rounder.

Comment

Having said that I hope the new Barrack boots are unlined. Gore lining for day to day barrack boots is overkill.
              ​​​​​​From what I've been told, it's the flight boots in brown, unsure whether they're gore-tex or not

Comment

​​​​​​From what I've been told, it's the flight boots in brown, unsure whether they're gore-tex or not
                Exactly right. Haix Black eagle. Coyote Brown.

March past for the 119 BN is tommorrow. They were supposed to get them first.Be interesting to see if they have them for the parade.

Comment

Exactly right. Haix Black eagle. Coyote Brown.

March past for the 119 BN is tommorrow. They were supposed to get them first.Be interesting to see if they have them for the parade.
                  Last I heard, only a few sizes had come in, probably issued in theatre.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

How are they in summer in Mali, the Leb or Golan?
                    They have the same problems of any goretex boot in hot weather - the membrane works best in cold and dry conditions and moisture can't pass through it fast enough in hot conditions.

A good footcare regime incorporating changing your socks, powdering your feet will help, as will rotating boots and giving them time to "dry out"

Comment

• Originally posted by northie View Post

Last I heard, only a few sizes had come in, probably issued in theatre.
                      Heard both of those too. 119BN had the Scouts on for the march past, A CQ I know was fortunate enough to get an advance issue of the new Barrack Boots(Of course ).. He told me they are goretex lined.

Comment

Heard both of those too. 119BN had the Scouts on for the march past, A CQ I know was fortunate enough to get an advance issue of the new Barrack Boots(Of course ).. He told me they are goretex lined.
                        A version of the Black Eagle Tactical High, minus the goretex would be the job. Full grain leather, soldiers are already familiar with care instructions.

Comment

• Ok. I've had the new Barrack boot boots in my hands now (someone else's issue) and they are Goretex lined. And very light in colour. Uppers are made of a Combo of suede and cordura. And Coyote brown is really "dirty khaki" .They are going to be an even bigger bitch to maintain then the scouts. Nice for overseas but too light in colour for here. The MOD brown version would have been better IMHO.

Comment

Ok. I've had the new Barrack boot boots in my hands now (someone else's issue) and they are Goretex lined. And very light in colour. Uppers are made of a Combo of suede and cordura. And Coyote brown is really "dirty khaki" .They are going to be an even bigger bitch to maintain then the scouts. Nice for overseas but too light in colour for here. The MOD brown version would have been better IMHO.
                            So, do we call it now and start the "Single Boot 2.0, this time their black" campaign?

Edit - After much thought, | feel that "Single Boot 2.0 Back in Black" has a much better ring to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgn...annel=acdcVEVO
                            Last edited by ODIN; 26 October 2021, 15:40.
                            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post

So, do we call it now and start the "Single Boot 2.0, this time their black" campaign?
                              The real question you need to ask is, why did boots change from brown to black in the first place?
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

The real question you need to ask is, why did boots change from brown to black in the first place?
                                Future proofing so the boots better match the new pattern camo when it comes on stream. Black looks stupid with Multicam.

Comment

Working...
                                X