Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by apod View Post
    For me the big issue with the Scouts is sizing. Currently we don't have an option for half sizes. I found from experience that my regular size is too tight and difficult to don and doff. So I had to go up a size in the issue boot. Grand for daily use but for the ground I purchased a second pair in a half size up from my regular size. Fits perfectly. From the tender documents for the currently running competition Half sizes are going to be supplied. Should alleviate the situation.

    As for "Big ticket items". Not sure what you mean here. DFCCS is probably going to include some of those and the budget per complete kit per soldier is nearly double than present. Reading between the lines we stand to get some really good kit unless the bean counters do their usual and water things down.
    I followed your advice when you previously mentioned this. So when I purchased a set of Scouts up a half size, yep, fit lovely. Ditto for the Black Eagles. Also agree with your previous comment on the need for good care and cleaning instructions for same

    A mate of mine purchased a second hand set of Bundeswehr Scouts (darker brown) for a song a while back, damn things were as good as new. Have him watching out for a set for me
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 28 December 2023, 20:29.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

      A mate of mine purchased a second hand set of Bundeswehr Scouts (darker brown) for a song a while back, damn things were as good as new. Have him watching out for a set for me
      If you can't, I recently picked up a pair of Lowa Breachers. Dark brown, and similar design to the Scout, but I'd grade them a more comfortable boot.
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by ODIN View Post

        If you can't, I recently picked up a pair of Lowa Breachers. Dark brown, and similar design to the Scout, but I'd grade them a more comfortable boot.
        Why?
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by apod View Post

          Why?
          Personal use and to replace a pair of scout 2s I'd worn through over 18 months.
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

          Comment


          • #20
            I meant why are they more comfortable in your opinion?
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by apod View Post
              I meant why are they more comfortable in your opinion?
              Was able to go for the half size. A bit wider at the toe, given I've wide feet, it makes for more comfort. Bit more ankle support in the Lowas. Similar lace hiding pouch.

              I was advised to size the Lowas off my runner size, 9.5, they're slightly bigand sized the Haix off the previous issue of tac boots which were 9, but the Scouts are a little snug at that. In hindsight, a 9 in the Lowas would have been fine. Lowas add on cleaning kit is amazing btw
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

              Comment


              • #22
                Sorry for wandering in like a child in a movie theatre here, but is there any chance we can work off EU sizes in boots, instead of UK sizing? That way you get your half sizes.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                  Sorry for wandering in like a child in a movie theatre here, but is there any chance we can work off EU sizes in boots, instead of UK sizing? That way you get your half sizes.
                  European sizes are based on the paris point system and there's still a certain amount of interpretation and variation between sizes.

                  Eg I was a 43 in the old magnum but 44 in the scout. Their interpretations of what a size was varied.

                  You don't get that with the metric system. Most shoes have a metric measurement in cm on the inside, typically labelled "JP" as its the standard system in Japan.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by ODIN View Post

                    If you can't, I recently picked up a pair of Lowa Breachers. Dark brown, and similar design to the Scout, but I'd grade them a more comfortable boot.
                    Had to do a search, but yes, they are quite a smart looking boot. Initial impression is that they are dearer than the Scouts
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by northie View Post

                      European sizes are based on the paris point system and there's still a certain amount of interpretation and variation between sizes.

                      Eg I was a 43 in the old magnum but 44 in the scout. Their interpretations of what a size was varied.

                      You don't get that with the metric system. Most shoes have a metric measurement in cm on the inside, typically labelled "JP" as its the standard system in Japan.
                      How does Mondopoint sizing fit in ? I have a pair of Dutch issue Haix and they are using Mondopoint. Could this be the way to go?
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by apod View Post

                        How does Mondopoint sizing fit in ? I have a pair of Dutch issue Haix and they are using Mondopoint. Could this be the way to go?
                        Mondopoint is JP/Metric. You measure from the heel to the toe in CM when a recruit or cadet is attested. There's no ambiguity or room for interpretation about archaic measurements like the barleycorn (UK) and it enables better forward planning for logistics.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

                          Had to do a search, but yes, they are quite a smart looking boot. Initial impression is that they are dearer than the Scouts
                          My Lowa fandom knows no bounds!
                          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by northie View Post

                            Mondopoint is JP/Metric. You measure from the heel to the toe in CM when a recruit or cadet is attested. There's no ambiguity or room for interpretation about archaic measurements like the barleycorn (UK) and it enables better forward planning for logistics.
                            All of which makes 100% perfect sense. Which is of course why we don't use it.
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ODIN View Post

                              My Lowa fandom knows no bounds!
                              Where did you buy from, out of curiosity?
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

                                Where did you buy from, out of curiosity?
                                Direct from Lowa in Germany
                                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X