This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier 2024

MOD: New thread to discuss the proposed new Operational Uniform. Have at it,
    Attached Files
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Comment

Proposed or just what Wing got?

Comment

Uncertain, but as far as I'm aware its for general issue down the line. I've already been issued the belt and gloves, and they're the new "light operational" boots, so I don't think it's something for the lads with the pixelated faces.

Comment

Ok. I first saw these last night. A few interesting things if you know what to look for.

Working from left to right on the Mannequins. Crye GB4 Field shirt/trousers and field jacket(softshell) GB4 as opposed to G4. Different material and rank slide tabs added throughout. Exact same as the new Royal Marines uniform. Next up is the Crye GB4 UBACS (Side zip bicep pockets)and trousers. Next again is the Crye G3 UBACS and trousers. Fist ARW trip to Mali got these.
            Second last is the current ARW Trial UBACS and combat trousers from Seyntex. You can tell the trousers by the zip on the front of the upper thighs covering mesh ventilation openings. UBAC Pocket similar to the current general issue one but has extra velcro on the pocket lid and concealed side zip pockets behind the normal ones.
            Lastly is the current issue DPM Barrack shirt(2019 version) and trousers just in Multicam.

Interesting colour on the boots. It was circulated on IKON that they were going to be Coyote brown in colour. I had a pair of the CB colour ones in my hands a week or two back. The ones pictured are darker(No harm though.Easier to keep clean)

ESS CROSSBOW EYEPRO. looks good.Bout time Gloves are NOT what was trialled a few years back.Better spec I believe so Kudos to Ord.Procurement branch for that. Belt is Seyntex copy of a Truspec brand design AFAIK.
            Last edited by apod; 21 June 2022, 16:09.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Can confirm the belt is Seyntex, however the buckle is from AustriAlpin who make the COBRA buckle.

Comment

Things I'm not seeing here is a smock, or a warm base layer
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Didn't we just redesign the smock?
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    Things I'm not seeing here is a smock, or a warm base layer
                    If they went the Royal marines route the GB4 "Field Jacket" replaces the smock. The Kiwis have done the same with their Huron softshell outer.

Our current Bks Jacket is too heavy in it's current configuration but if we got rid of the fleece lining you are left with a lightweight softshell similar to both of the above which are inspired by the US Military's PCU level / ECWCS Level 5 . Even the Russians copied the idea with the VKBO Level 5 Jacket.

This article outlines why that's not a bad idea. https://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/...ombat-uniform/

Smocks may be a thing of the past. Too big and slow to dry. As for the underlayers don't worry they will still be there.
                    Last edited by apod; 23 November 2021, 18:55.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      Didn't we just redesign the smock?
                      Nope.We just copied the Danish Smock to save money and tweaked it. Not a smock either. More like the old combat jacket in cut and fit.

Shit. In other words.

Comment

I suppose given the greater use of body armour, the normal operational theater being in warmer climates, the need for a smock as a non-thermal outer layer may have passed.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Is that standard multicam pattern? It hasnt been combined with Irish
                          DPM like the British did with MTP and DPM?

Comment

Looks to be. The stuff the Wing are trialling is off the shelf. We may see a variation between now and the in service date. but it may be cheaper to go with MOTS/COTS.

I for one don't like the idea of the DF adopting "everybodycam". Too generic and could lead to IFF issues. Our current DPM is unique to us. I would hope,(despite understanding the need to adopt the new pattern) that we come up with something unique again.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                              Looks to be. The stuff the Wing are trialling is off the shelf. We may see a variation between now and the in service date. but it may be cheaper to go with MOTS/COTS.

I for one don't like the idea of the DF adopting "everybodycam". Too generic and could lead to IFF issues. Our current DPM is unique to us. I would hope,(despite understanding the need to adopt the new pattern) that we come up with something unique again.
                              I not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but if you look at the Multicam mockup of the current uniform, the colour looks a bit different. To me, It looks like they may have used a faded version of the current DPM as a base and applied Multicam on top of it.
                              It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                              It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                              It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                              It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X