This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by apod View Post
    2/ The return of chest pockets on our barrack shirts.
    A return of the angled pockets please.

Comment

• Thing is if they go for working dress and combat dress as you suggest, for RDF that will mean

maybe 1 issue of each but more likely 2 issues of working dress (and if your lucky, 1 of combat dress if on a 72 hour ex)

Which will mean people going on the ground in at some stage in working dress in kit that isn’t suitable.
      My understanding is that the money to kit out each soldier is being "Significantly increased" and they are going "Top shelf all the way on this project" so what we get hopefully will be better than the stuff we have at present. I am also hearing rumours that the Issue to and Individual will be role specific across the Army EG Infantry will got all items and a larger scale whereas Brigade HQ staff will only get certain items and at a different scale. A Similar system to how the Belgians rolled out their BDCS uniform. So Yeah I would say the AR will get the same kit but at a reduced scale. I know D RES/ORA recently made representations on improving the issue scale for Reservists.

ref Velcro patches etc, can’t we just amend Admin Instructions put all patches on the Velcro and blanking plate only used when no patches worn.
      Not sure what you mean by this. Also. What make you think we will have blanking plates on the new tops at all.

PS: This is where RDFRA should be really earning their money. By making a well thought out (realistic) proposal to D RES/ORA for a issue scale that makes sense. A reservist needs the same kit as the Regulars but on a reduced scale and role specific. Personnel in units need to start getting the REPS to work for them and submit proposals to RDFRA HQ. But they need to make sense and not just a Christmas list that will be filed under bin.
      Last edited by apod; 20 October 2023, 13:29.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Is it normal human sizing or have they gone back to the sizing nonsense that was in the OG combats?
        Whichever Tenderer is awarded the Contract is responsible for visiting each DF Location and carrying out a proper sizing for each individual. IE Take proper measurements and then get you to try on each item that you are scaled for to be issued before confirming your sizes.

The fact the uniforms are male and female specific should mean there should be chest pockets on the shirts again.
        Hopefully. I think even the female Barrack shirt will revert to chest pockets. They will just be better adjusted to fit the female form.

"Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by smegers View Post
          A return of the angled pockets please.
          If we end up getting what I think they are leaning towards we will have both chest and sleeve pockets. Fingers crossed.

Comment

• I know the Irish Public hates anything associated with NATO, but can we please just be sensible and adapt this https://www.socomtactical.net/nato-c...e-chart-guide/
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

they are going "Top shelf all the way on this project"
              as in out of reach ?

So Yeah I would say the AR will get the same kit but at a reduced scale. I know D RES/ORA recently made representations on improving the issue scale for Reservists.
              remains to be seen

Not sure what you mean by this. Also. What make you think we will have blanking plates on the new tops at all.
              no blanking plates would be good

so take for example the Cultraca tab which A9? Says has to be in a particular place, on the current issue shirts there is a nice bit of Velcro where it could go, we should use it, as in A9 should be amended to say on shirts with Velcro on arms that’s where it is placed

Comment

• as in out of reach ?
                Har Har Har, Dev made a funny out loud. LOL
                [QUOTE]

no blanking plates would be good,
                No matter what style of pocket we go for be they top opening as now or side zip opening they should still be issued with blanking plates. Even if you don't use them day to day you should remove your badges and refit the plates to protect the velcro when in laundry. The velcro will stay "grippy" for longer if you do.

so take for example the Cultraca tab which A9? Says has to be in a particular place, on the current issue shirts there is a nice bit of Velcro where it could go, we should use it, as in A9 should be amended to say on shirts with Velcro on arms that’s where it is placed
                Ah. Now I get you. I agree completely. I would go one further and say ALL badges should be on velcro. Other Militaries do that and it seems to work out fine for them. My bugbear is the factory attached Tri-colour. We seem to be welded to the idea that if they were not pre stitched to the uniform the troops would chin them off.
                Well we have velcro backed name tags and Unit flashes already so what's the big deal? The Squids issue their Seaweed Cam shirts with velcro backed National flags. They seem to have no issue enforcing their wear. With the growing popularity of Subdued Combat ID/IFF Badges as a result of the OCC EVALS troops need to be in a position to swop out the day to day Hi-Viz Tri-colour and replace with the IR reflective variant.

Last year we had a ridiculous situation where troops undergoing EVAL had the IR Tricolour mounted on the velcro panels of their shirts UNDERNEATH the factory stitched variant. Two national flags on the one arm! It looked amateur as Fcuk. To compound matters if they were not wearing the UBACS or Shirts (If wearing Smock/waterproofs in inclement weather) they had no way of Displaying their Combat ID. One of the areas they were being scored under.

Whatever we do we need to get with the 21st century and look at what other militaries do badging wise. Looking the part is half the battle.

Last edited by apod; 20 October 2023, 22:10.

Comment

Anyway. Now that we know DFCCS is coming what features would we like the new uniform to have? it looks like they are going to go back to a lower spec Barracks/Working dress and a Higher spec Combat Dress. They are also go back to male and female specific Cuts/Fits. Seeing as some of the items will no doubt cross over from one dress to the other (Outer and Mid layers etc) what would people like to see built in from the get go to make the uniform more user friendly?

I'll start it off.

1/ Common sleeve pockets on all outer layers to enable SOPs for Kit carriage.
                  2/ The return of chest pockets on our barrack shirts.
                  3/ Velcro panels on all outer garment sleeves to allow for easy attachment of Flashes and Combat ID.( Cuts down on tailoring and standardises placement).
                  Literally just take and lift stuff from the Nordic Combat Uniform System. Maybe to save a few bob, don't order everyone the snow cammo and you could probably tweak the levels of insulation required. Order the danish light operational boot for barracks and the Haix Nepal or Commander for operations. Do them in half sizes and narrow and wide fit.

Once you've that done, look at the daysack, backpack, helmet, hearing protection - all of which to some extent are ongoing.

Comment

• Literally just take and lift stuff from the Nordic Combat Uniform System. Maybe to save a few bob, don't order everyone the snow cammo and you could probably tweak the levels of insulation required.
                    Much as I like NCU (It's top notch kit with some well thought out items) we both know that the Head shed are too conservative and welded to "Parade ready" Barrack dress to allow us to wear Jackets with just a t-shirt underneath and Trousers with built in hard shell kneepads around Barracks day to day.
                    Personally I would go to the BDCS route with an all singing and dancing Combat dress but a toned down Barracks dress. Make the Combat dress FR and Permethrin treated and have a non treated non FR Barrack dress. Spend the money where it's important and fund that by cutting costs elsewhere.

Order the danish light operational boot for barracks and the Haix Nepal or Commander for operations.
                    Yeah. They aren't bad. I'm not too upset with the current OPS boot we have. My bugbear is the stupid "Lip" on the tongue of the current BKS boot. Really annoying and looks really slovenly as it gets caught in the cuff of the trousers and keeps opening. The newer models of Haix have done away with the fold over tongue design and just have an elasticated pocket in it's place IOT tuck away the lace ends. Much tidier and presentable.

Do them in half sizes and narrow and wide fit.
                    100% agree. I think Half sizes have been included in the current footwear tender. unsure about width fittings.

Once you've that done, look at the daysack, backpack, helmet, hearing protection - all of which to some extent are ongoing.
                    By the time IMBAS comes into service it will be outdated. It's really dragging ass at this stage!! I heard that the Battlegroup might be getting it first next year though so time will tell. As for the Bergen and daysack. I think the one size fits all has run it's course. Role specific kit is the way to go. Light Infantry should get a full size Bergen. Mech Infantry something slightly smaller. RECCE and Snipers need something for their roles and the Corps likewise. Money being no object of course.

Comment

This is where RDFRA should be really earning their money. By making a well thought out (realistic) proposal to D RES/ORA for a issue scale that makes sense. A reservist needs the same kit as the Regulars but on a reduced scale and role specific. Personnel in units need to start getting the REPS to work for them and submit proposals to RDFRA HQ. But they need to make sense and not just a Christmas list that will be filed under bin.
                      Fully agree with this. Reservists on the board, would be interested to see your thoughts on proposed scale of issue.

For the record, my slant on it would be initial issue of:

ITMP Shirt x2 with provision for at least one more without return on FWT
                      T-shirt x3
                      ITMP trousers x2 without return on FWT
                      Barracks Jacket x1 (would save wear and tear of field smock and on balance reservists would wear this more)
                      Field Smock x1
                      Warm under layer as appropriate (wear under smock for cold weather, always thought the green fleece liner was class here. Was never was issued one so bought a Brit 2000 one, and it's the dog's as an under smock layer at this time of year)

Would be curious to see what the scale of issue for our counterparts across the pond is

Probably missing something obvious but this is a "discussion board" after all....

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                      X