This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Just going to stick my oar in here to say that for all the weeping and wailing when the NS decided to do the exact same thing as the Army, it was dismissed as a vanity project.
    The same arguments now are being used to justify (quite correctly) the introduction of IP-Multicam.
    That's because it WAS a vanity project. The NS Camo scheme serves no purpose.It blends with nothing. Purely corporate branding and NS members have gone on record in print admitting same.
    The proposed Multi terrain pattern is being brought in for practical reasons.
    1/ Transitional pattern.Works fairly well in both wooded and arid regions.Not 100% but just enough in each environment.
    2/ Lighter colour. Retains less heat.
    3/ Not widely available and patent restricted if they go with an Irish developed pattern which aids security
    4/ IFF.
    5/ Cost effective in that you only need one uniform for different A.O's. (Look at the ECAT/NEO Mission the Wing went on recently. They deployed in the Multicams they already had. No need to issue special one off uniforms)
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Whats the patent got to do with anything its already illegal to copy the uniform ? (Defence Act )

My sole care here apart from I think its not needed , its out of my control . My people get a decent initial issue is all I really care about - nothing else really matters.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
        Whats the patent got to do with anything its already illegal to copy the uniform ? (Defence Act )

My sole care here apart from I think its not needed , its out of my control . My people get a decent initial issue is all I really care about - nothing else really matters.
        It’s only illegal in Ireland and that doesn’t stop companies doing so

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post

That's because it WAS a vanity project. The NS Camo scheme serves no purpose.It blends with nothing. Purely corporate branding and NS members have gone on record in print admitting same.
          The proposed Multi terrain pattern is being brought in for practical reasons.
          1/ Transitional pattern.Works fairly well in both wooded and arid regions.Not 100% but just enough in each environment.
          3/ Not widely available and patent restricted if they go with an Irish developed pattern which aids security
          4/ IFF.
          5/ Cost effective in that you only need one uniform for different A.O's. (Look at the ECAT/NEO Mission the Wing went on recently. They deployed in the Multicams they already had. No need to issue special one off uniforms)
          You know i could take out the words Multicam and replace it with NS Camo and it would be just as convincing.
          1/ Transitional pattern.Works fairly well in both upper and lower deck .Not 100% but just enough in each environment.
          4/ IFF. No more will they be condused with Customs/Fire Brigade/any factory or warehouse using Snickers navy 2 piece workwear
          5/ Cost effective in that you only need one uniform for different A.O's. (Lads out in the med and trips to asia and south Atlantic struggled with the heavy dark Navy operational uniform). Old operational uniform when used by those in certain overseas mission HQ was the same as what the janitor wore.

It just doesn't strike me as high priority at a time when the Army no longer have the numbers to deploy full units overseas.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Obviously don't agree with the above but.. you know...

Comment

You know i could take out the words Multicam and replace it with NS Camo and it would be just as convincing.
              1/ Transitional pattern.Works fairly well in both upper and lower deck .Not 100% but just enough in each environment.
              4/ IFF. No more will they be condused with Customs/Fire Brigade/any factory or warehouse using Snickers navy 2 piece workwear
              5/ Cost effective in that you only need one uniform for different A.O's. (Lads out in the med and trips to asia and south Atlantic struggled with the heavy dark Navy operational uniform). Old operational uniform when used by those in certain overseas mission HQ was the same as what the janitor wore.

It just doesn't strike me as high priority at a time when the Army no longer have the numbers to deploy full units overseas.
              Oh Jesus Christ. Really?? Those are the justifications for developing an unneeded pattern?? Seriously?? So we are comparing the issue of a new pattern optimised to work both on Island and in Hot and dusty climes with a view to better concealing our troops within those environments as required with a pattern that serves no purpose only than to look different from the Civis. Does the NS inferiority complex really extend that far?? Come on. Oh and BTW I am on th record here as saying that I agreed with the need to modernise the NS operational uniform and bring it into the 21st Century. It's the NSV pattern I have a problem with.It's a waste of money that serves no practical purpose. The new DF Camo pattern will.

As for priorities. Ask anybody who has worn the current DPM in a Lebanese summer,Liberian Wet season or currently Mali if they think a lighter pattern should be a priority or not.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

And I'll respond with ask anyone who had to wear Navy Combats in an engine room last summer (or any summer) if a lighter pattern was a priority or not.
                My point is, while RACO are complaining that the military college is short 30 captains, this is waay down the priority list. It has not even featured in discussion on any of the social media where military folk communicate, including here. However the Navy Combats was well flagged. Saw zero mention of it as a priority in any CoDF submission, Though I did not read all of them.

It just seems to have come out of nowhere and now people are on the defensive saying it is more important than next weeks dinner!

Comment

The NS GOT a lighter uniform for the Med. It just wasn't NSV DPM.

Are you going to accept,at all,the fact that I am on record here of saying that I agreed with the point that the Navy needed an updated cut of operational uniform.In FR Material and lighter and more breathable?? And that I am on record for saying that my only issue is that the NSV pattern is a vanity project that serves no practical military purpose other than corporate branding? Can you give me that?? No? Yes?

The navy combats were well flagged because the NS had to conduct a campaign to justify the money needed to buy them.Simple as.
                  Has it occurred to you that sometimes,just sometimes, Military folk might decide to keep things quiet regarding future developments for various reasons?? Even if they know why something is justified??And why the hell would you make a submission to CODF on what colour uniform we wear? That's not exactly their remit is it?

Yes I agree it has come out of nowhere as far as the public domain goes but this has been brewing for well over 12 Months now inside the wider DF and I remember as far back as 2014 being told by a buddy in a dark green beret that his crowd were going Multicam within 5 Years and the rest of the DF would follow soon after. So far he has been on the money.
                  Last edited by apod; 30 May 2022, 17:19.

Comment

Calm down Sir. I'm playing devils advocate here.

Comment

Calm down Sir. I'm playing devils advocate here.
                      I know mate but it really is defending the indefensible.

Comment

This GOH photo speaks volumes on the subject

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                          This GOH photo speaks volumes on the subject

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...89545979880911
                          The fact that we have had to have joint Bn’s with UNIFIL for a good few years now speaks more

Comment

Good to see the IR Tricolours being rolled out to more than just the Green hats.Even if the drop shorts cant seem to figure out the correct sleeve to wear them on!!(seriously how hard is that?It's in A9) Those badges should be standard issue.Only €8 a pop to the DF. Anecdotally the Raccoon hats had them for the first OCC EVAL a few years back but had to hand them back!! Probably the same for Arty. If so NATO Evaluators are being bluffed big time in the IFF section of the Eval.

And before anyone asks that a UAS operator badge.Not Official yet.

Comment

And before anyone asks that a UAS operator badge.Not Official yet.
                              [SARCASIM}Metal UAS Operator wings for the number ones!! You heard it here first folks!![/SARCASIM}

Last edited by ODIN; 9 June 2022, 15:05.
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

MOD: New thread to discuss the proposed new Operational Uniform. Have at it,
                                dare I ask? what's wrong with the existing gear? Is it failing at some fundamental level, that the soldiers are complaining about?

Comment

Working...
                                X