This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    Yes and VFM at larger army scale is an issue for sure but with the limited amount of people on hand its arguably cheaper and more efficient to not run a physical clothing stores at all and have Amazon deliver the same scale of issue to everyone's front door at home ( or in the field or o/seas on a lot of deployments , pandemic showed couriers will drop anywhere at all )
    That's how its done in the rest of the Public sector. You (a) get sized or (b) provide measurements, and not long after large box arrives with all your items of uniform, to your usual place of work. If something doesn't fit, you fill out form explaining whats wrong with item, and post back to supplier, copying form to your own logs dept. Replacement arrives by return post usually.
    "JUST IN TIME" stock control has been the norm now for at least 2 decades in civvy land. While we still get our uniform from civvy contractors, and not have it made in-house, there is no reason at all for having clothing stores. You just need a delivery hub. Somewhere on base where all uniform items are delivered for each person to collect at set times.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• I guess issuing people with expensive kit and them disappearing with it might factor into the whole VFM thing you know.

The DF issues people in the AR solely on the basis of "how much of the taxpayers money does the total kit out cost?" and "how much will we be down if they feck off with the kit". Hence the reason that only those who stay the course get issued the more expensive items . IE they demonstrate commitment so they are a good investment. 18 months service rule, 72 Hrour exercise on a career course rule etc. All issued to people who are usually in the AR for the long run.

The FCA/RDF of the past and its practices are what has todays AR in its current situation kit issue rules wise. It is changing though over time. When I was in the FCA we went on Exercise with pool issue 58 Ptn web gear and ponchos.Nowadays the AR on Exercise has EXACTLY the same kit as the PDF.
      Last edited by apod; 24 October 2022, 22:35.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• While i understand the VFM element there is also a H and S element.
        Ballistic glasses are ppe as are the gloves. We in the RDF fire weapons aswell and in my unit we soend huge amounts of time in the range for stp ect. So if someone in RDF gets an eye injury on range the 1st question asked will be "were they wearing ppe".
        In the past it may not gave been a big deal but the fact the glasses are available may be leaving the DF open to more claims if an injury happens.
        I would imagine theybwill end up on pool issue samecas rain gear ect

Comment

• in terms of VFM the eyepro would be much cheaper than the compo claim for example .
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            in terms of VFM the eyepro would be much cheaper than the compo claim for example .
            I missed out on a good compo claim a few years ago that landed me in A&E with an eye injury. Fully recovered, but a corneal abrasion is not fun at all, and sets in my mind that protective eye ware, along with gloves should be issued to all.
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post

I missed out on a good compo claim a few years ago that landed me in A&E with an eye injury. Fully recovered, but a corneal abrasion is not fun at all, and sets in my mind that protective eye ware, along with gloves should be issued to all.
              Before I had to wear prescription specs full time you may remember I wore ESS eyewear all the time outdoors except when on parade. I was happy to explain to anyone who told me not to, the high risk of cataracts from being outdoors in strong sunlight. These days most of us work behind screens that are UV protected, in offices that have blinds. We as a society are no longer accustomed to being outdoors in strong sunlight. The increasing sight of solar panels on the roofs on out island shows there is enough sunlight here to generate electricity and heat water, so of course it can damage your eyesight too.
              And that is before we talk about the risk to eyes from handling firearms firing blank ammo or using pyrotechnics, or training in forested areas.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• We already have (where used) Goggles…. Comfort I assume is the consideration?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  We already have (where used) Goggles…. Comfort I assume is the consideration?
                  I can safely say that I have never been issued eye protection in over 20 years of service. Any eye protection I had was personally purchased, once Wiley goggles, and once ex British issue ESS.

Comment

• What glasses are they

Comment

I can safely say that I have never been issued eye protection in over 20 years of service. Any eye protection I had was personally purchased, once Wiley goggles, and once ex British issue ESS.
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/dfmaga...in/photostream

We were issued these a good while ago

Comment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dfmaga...in/photostream

We were issued these a good while ago
                        Well for some! I was never issued them.

Comment

Well for some! I was never issued them.
                          Every AR unit in the country is supposed to have access to that kit. Your Cadre and CQ need to get their finger out.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post

Every AR unit in the country is supposed to have access to that kit. Your Cadre and CQ need to get their finger out.
                            Is this pool or personal issue though apod?

Comment

Is this pool or personal issue though apod?
                              Pool and there should be enough for all

Comment

Pool and there should be enough for all
                                Pool eye ware is about the most unhygienic thing I can think of. Pool issue hearing protection is bad, but considering an eye infection can actually lead to site loss, I think I'll invest in my own eye ware in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X