Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
    A bit of advice needed.

Purchased an Arktis marine Assault Vest years ago but up to know had been doing things well served by well fitting and personalised belt kit.

Have been trying out fitting the contents of my webbing into the vest but I feel a pouch short.
    Currently the ammo pouches are reserved for their intended purpose with the large utility pouches fitting only my 58 bottle and mess kit.
    I can't really see a functional way of carrying model kit, chemlights, commscord, secateurs etc in it and one principle I always employ with my plce kit is having a spare pouch for the inevitable extra kit.

Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to carry the same kit in a vest. Or us it the wrong vest?
    I think you are perhaps trying to fit to much kit into the vest.Could you list out all the items you are carrying in it as that would give us a better place to start from?
    As SaS said already are you using a daysack aswell?(you should be) as if so you can distribute some of your non immediate use items into it.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Having a good deal of bother trying to find (Irish located) OG Utility Pouches. I have the NBC pouch but that's not worth a shite. Can anyone point in the right direction? Tried Protac, no use to me! Got a decent waterbottle pouch there though.
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Apod & SS:
        I'll try and get used to putting anything not needed immediately to hand/for fighting into the daysack.
        Cheers for the advice
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• tomahawk?

Anyone use a Tomahawk out on the ground instead of a knife? useful as an axe and a blade in most circumstance I would have thought? what do you think? considering picking one up.
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
            Anyone use a Tomahawk out on the ground instead of a knife? useful as an axe and a blade in most circumstance I would have thought? what do you think? considering picking one up.
            Like one of these?:

Ooooh, I dunno, they look a bit too pretentiously "high speed, low drag" for me. I like them and I'm not saying they wouldn't be useful, but I'm wondering if it crosses the function/fashion line.

I think you'd do well to just have a good solid fixed blade.

Comment

Ever tried peeling an apple with a tomahawk???

Magpie.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Handy in a SIA. Them yokes kill just by brushing off you, and are great for cross map kills.
                Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

• wuss, peeling an apple.

anyway, ive a pen knife i can peel an apple with.

ever try chopping up a rabbit using an aldi folding hand saw? :D
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

wuss, peeling an apple.

anyway, ive a pen knife i can peel an apple with.

ever try chopping up a rabbit using an aldi folding hand saw? :D
                    I have found that when people start carrying these type of "tools" about, there is a 99.998% chance that someone will decide he is a reincarnated Navaho or Sioux brave, and will attempt to launch said tool at nearby tree... 60% of the time someone walks in front of target tree. It all depends on the sanity of the tool tosser(in every sense) whether he decides to wait till person moves out of way before throwing.

Best left at home, or alternatively, on a lanyard attached to your person.

Unless you live in Rural Canada.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• and there was i
                      a responsible thirty something nco
                      who once almost lost a finger to an errant bow saw
                      hoping i could teach my braves, i mean section, how to make dream catchers, moccasins and feather ties for our throwing tomahawks...

ah ill think about it,

strangely enough i have a distinct fear of most of the types of knives Ive seen out on the ground,

Ive also done FIBUA and survival courses this year where something like this would've come in handy and was even recommended it by a PDF instructor,

as i don't have an axe either, but have seen them being used out on the ground to clear low branches in a patrol harbour, i figured i might buy one, this sort of led me astray to reading about how some US units have apparently taken to issuing tomahawks instead of knives and therefore i became interested in the practicalities of such a tool...

a lanyard would definitely be attached as it is my experience that if you loan anything to someone in a dark patrol harbor you most likely wont see it again, plus the first time i throw it will most likely be my last as it will end up embedded in my knee.

Comment

Sharpen the edge of your entrenching tool. Problem solved! (until it breaks.....)

Comment

• Originally posted by spaceghetti View Post
                          Sharpen the edge of your entrenching tool. Problem solved! (until it breaks.....)
                          or just get this

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b60OZhrTB6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

An awesome little tool. It's the new Swiss Army Knife!the other videos on youtube is either incomplete or low-quality so I reuploaded it to youtube from thei...
                          Last edited by paul; 5 September 2011, 19:45.
                          Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Anyone use a Tomahawk out on the ground instead of a knife?
                            This fella has.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by paul View Post
                              or just get this

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b60OZhrTB6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o
                              Or one of these.

Comment

• Originally posted by spaceghetti View Post
                                Or one of these.
                                I perfer one of these

Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Working...
                                X