Rolls royce armoured car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolls royce armoured car

there seems to be a lack of photo of the 13 (or so) rolls royce armoured cars that were in service from 1922 till the 40s

"ARR 1 DANNY BOY/TOM KEOGH"
    "ARR 2 SLIVENAMON"
    "ARR 3 THE FIGHTING 2ND"
    "ARR 4 THE BABY"
    "ARR 5 MUTINEER"
    "ARR 6 CUSTOM HOUSE"
    "ARR 7 MONEYGALL"
    "ARR 8 THE BIG FELLA"
    "ARR 9 EX MUTINEER"
    "ARR 10 FLYING FIFTY"
    "ARR 11 KILMICHAEL"
    "ARR 12 KNOCKANANA"
    "ARR 14 HIGH CHIEF"
    ,,,,names are from karl martin book....

can anyone tell me was ARR 1 called danny boy or o danny boy befor it was tom keogh..
    i hope someone has some new photos to post of these (13 OR SO)beauties...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vintary; 4 April 2010, 23:07.

The big fella
    Arr 8
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vintary; 12 January 2012, 10:06.

Comment

Hi

Slightly off the topic, but here is an article on ARR2 from the Curragh History site.

http://www.curragh.info/articles/silabhnamban.htm

Plenty of photographs on the site also.

All the best

Fianoglach
      Glaine ár gcroí
      Neart ár ngéag
      Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Comment

names

there is a pitcher on the wall of the photography archive in temple bar of a national army rolls royce armoured car on board a ship { i guess the lady wicklow} the name of which is "the manager" but i dont see this name on the above list...

NB...I have also came across more names "lough gill" aks "balinalee"
        there is one other name although it may not be a rolls royce "queen of the west" in service with the anty treaty ira 1922.

Comment

The Ballinalee

aks Wild rose of Lough Gill

The Rolls Royce armoured car known as The Ballinalee was destroyed before the ARR (Armoured Rolls Royce) system of identification was introduced. Which makes it a total of 14 Rolls Royce armoured cars in services with the National army, although probably not all at the same time.

While in the hands on the irregulars the Ballinalee was renamed the “Wild Rose of Lough Gill”

Karl Martin in his book, points out that the list of ARR numbers is based on what little evidence could be found, mostly from the pages of An Cosantoir December 1975 by Denis McCarthy and Adrian English.

This list must have been made sometime after the civil war and there is no mention of “The Manager” or “The Ballinalee”.

The Image Ballainlee 4 is belived to be the Ballainlee in Sligo April 1922. The name of the car can't be made out.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by vintary; 12 January 2012, 10:07.

Comment

The Manager

Rolls Royce armoured car known as The Manager on board ship heading for Cork. Also can be seen is a Peerless and a Lancia.

The Manager is not recorded in the An Cosantoir lists of ARR numbers.

Second photo is of the Manager in Cork no date)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by vintary; 18 September 2011, 17:31.

Comment

The Mutineer

Rolls Royce armoured car known as “The Mutineer” in the Four Courts Dublin before the fighting broke out. The Mutineer fought bravely during the Four Courts battle its last shots been fired from a Lewis gun on a makeshift mounting as the Vickers had been put out of action from fire from National army troops who had battled their way into the Four Courts hotel.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by vintary; 18 September 2011, 17:50.

Comment

The fighting 2nd

Taking part in the fighting for Dublin in June/July of 1922 and was active from the very start of the Irish civil war, the fighting 2nd was noted to be on patrol in the area of the Four courts in May 1922. Several references and images exist of her.
                The fighting 2nd went through the early months of the war with its original British Crown forces registration ( 1043 CK ) clearly visibly until it was appointed its ARR number in December of 1922. Also visibly is the “FF” Òglaigh na hÉireann symbol and what is probably unique to the fighting 2nd is the symbol of a harp on the rear hatch of the turret.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by vintary; 12 January 2012, 10:07.

Comment

Also can be seen is a Peerless
                  Don't see a Peerless in that one.

Whats the structure in the back round do you know?
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The Peerless is to the right you can make out the turret behind the trooper.

Interesting point,, but I have no idea what that is in the background, I do not think its Cork the lads are too relaxed.

Comment

When Sean MacEoin came to Sligo on Easter Sunday 1922 for Griffith's meeting he had an armoured car, presumably what was later called The Ballinalee. Pictures of the car on the day show no name. When the civil war broke out the Ballinalee came to Sligo with the Free State troops and was captured by the anti-Treaty forces at the Rockwood/Dooney Rock ambush. They held it until late September when MacEoin and Lawlor pushed through Sligo and attacked the north Sligo republican stronghold. The Ballinalee was put out of action by the republicans and captured. The Free State troops towed it through Sligo town in triumph. It was, I believe taken to the Curragh later. There is a photo (very blurred) similar to the Ballinalee 1 photo in the post above in the Military archives. Presumably the slogans were written by FS troops after the capture for the Sligo display.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	sligo 18,4,1922.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	697222

Excellent info Mfarry. This is probably the car you mentioned, the name I just can’t make out. The image is dated 18/4/1922 Sligo (Irish independent archive).

Comment

Attachment dosen't work
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Yes that's it. Parked in Old Market St, Sligo outside the house of Dudley Hanley to collect Arthur Griffith for the pro-Treaty meeting in Sligo that day, Easter Sunday 1922.

Comment

Sorry Seanachie I do not know why that is but here is a link to the image

Last edited by vintary; 21 December 2011, 19:21.

Comment

Working...
                              X