PDFORRA report "Life at Sea"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDFORRA report "Life at Sea"

I was just wondering if anbody else heard any news on the "effects of life at sea". I was talking to one of my mates and it seems that it dont look to good for old F .Then again the naval base is over run with rumours and ballhops about it.

""The Life at Sea questonaire was sent out to all pdforra members and their spouses to determine the effect of the raised seagoing days in the naval service. The findings were being compiled by a team of experts ""
    Last edited by sparky; 3 May 2006, 00:00.
    "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

Should be interesting to hear how 200 days at sea is affecting morale, health and family life for NS personell.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

it's very hard to find a two or three week patrol anymore. They used to start on a monday morning and end on a friday afternoon, now it's out on a sunday and back tuesday fortnight - 18 days continuous or tuesday three weeks - 25 days continuous.
      At best I would have thought this was a change to the terms and conditions of employment and should have been negotiated. The real bastard is coming back to the basin after 25 days at sea to be on the duty watch, probably able to look at your house in Cobh.....
      No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
      No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

The real bastard is coming back to the basin after 25 days at sea to be on the duty watch, probably able to look at your house in Cobh
        I know its little comfort to you, but because the increase in sea days means that your sterling work has not gone un noticed

The flag officer will be sure to get his 10% bonus again this year

He is probably to busy spending the dosh to say it

But on his behalf thanks
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

As it stands now according to the questionaires returned to PDFORRA there is a number of seagoing personnel on the edge . I suppose if we were to say less then 10 people that aint alot but thats 10 people in less than 500 that would equate to nearly one person per ship feeling a slight bit depressed to say the least . And from what i got from the power point that "His Highness" sent around is that if you do 170 days at sea yourself you can come in for the rest of the year ( I dont think that includes reliefs) but if we were to say that you done 169 days and the seagoing year ended . Come january 1st you start counting up your days again from 1 and then lets hope there is a relief there for you . I think a chief put it as that the flag was robbing peter to pay paul but the check is going to bounce and aint nobody going to benefit from it except him

Comment

And that why my friends i am leaving the navy because i dont think its mandatory for senior management to try and shaft the guys doing the hands on stuff

Comment

The report will be published within the next 3 weeks.
              The main thing that has come from it that service personnel families understand that they have to go to sea, but its the duties alongside the base during the self maintainance periods is what the problem is.
              As far as i know a copy will be forwarded to management before it is released to the press.

Management has nothing whatsoever to do with this report, PDFORRA commisioned it.

About time somebody stood up for Ratings.

Comment

give me a break - I know that they have been trying to reduce the duties in base for years but nobody wants to lose the duty money!

Comment

Problem is manpower as usual. The army is the same. I thought this one through a long time ago..why not instead taking guys out of the sysytem for 48hrs at a time , organise a shift system as in industry.where guys go on for 12 hours at a time instead of twenty four. Project it and rotate it on a6 week basis and pay a shift allowance to those involved.....

Its far more balanced and family friendly and would free up guys during periods when they would be normally be in cluded in duty roster. It work for the base ..ships are a different issue. but security duty s aboard ships should be scrapped and a leave watch would come onto place freeing up the other half of the crew for going on leave for at least half of the period alongside. This would also ensure that the ship would have sufficent crew for an emergencey sailing. I'm sure with all the courses in man power managemant , financimg and well fare if the higher usp sat down they could always thrash this out.

These issues have always been a bone of contention but nobody has ever even tried to form a group to try sort it out.

TheNS might find it easier to hang to people if they started to look at new ways of making time more productive....and increase the time available to those who see themselves as merely punching the clock.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Without looking for restricted info, how does this work? If posted to a ship, are you at sea while she is at sea, or are there two crews, one at sea and one resting off (Did I hear something about “Port” and “Starboard” crews)?
                    "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
                    Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

one crew per ship..the cew is divided into three watchs depending on the size of the crew. On Eithne at one stage it went to four watches. The ideal would to be have a reserve crew..but as the crew is post to the ship ...same as being posted to another unit..this is where all the admin and Q maters for the member of the crew is held.

on smaller ships such as sweepers and peacocks itws envisged to have a rotating crew but people shortages actually resulted in ships being tied up rather than having a surplus to privide sea going replacements.
                      nice thought..would be ideal.. but in reality there has always been shortages rather surplus.

Interesting to note that Eithnes originaly establishment was for 72 plus and air attachmnet...is down to around 50odd over the last few years.
                      Last edited by hptmurphy; 25 June 2006, 21:58.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The Steering Group report recommended 1.5 crews per vessel to allow for rotations. That is apart from people who work in the Naval Base & HQ.

Comment

Bad press for the Navy

Anyone read the article in the Herlad Am this morning, apparently a large percentage of the navy hate going to sea, how ridicoulous is that

Comment

believing what you read the herald am...how ridiculous is that
                            You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Its not quite as simple as that.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X