Thanks Thanks:  349
Likes Likes:  716
Dislikes Dislikes:  21
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Results 1,276 to 1,292 of 1292
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno! a few enthusiastic FCA / RDF gunners got too excited, on more than one occasion and added quite a bit of "lead" on the target, giving rise to swearing over the radio from the pilot and the poor eejit operating the drogue winch. One pilot was said to have called his winch operator "body armour", which allegedly prompted the man to hand in his notice as a winch operator. Gormo always had volunteers for parachuting ops but less so for gunnery. You can understand why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    I dunno! a few enthusiastic FCA / RDF gunners got too excited, on more than one occasion and added quite a bit of "lead" on the target, giving rise to swearing over the radio from the pilot and the poor eejit operating the drogue winch. One pilot was said to have called his winch operator "body armour", which allegedly prompted the man to hand in his notice as a winch operator. Gormo always had volunteers for parachuting ops but less so for gunnery. You can understand why.
    the oft used phrase..... I'm pulling it.....not pushing it... having expended a few rounds in the direction of the drougue myself I recall being told the object wasn't to hit the actual drogue but to register the hits on the telemetry carried in the drogue.... Whooosssh.. straight over my head,.. brain propgrammed to riddle it.... I catually doubt if I ever hit it.
    Time for another break I think......

3. Likes DeV, EUFighter, Flamingo liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched a L60 Bofors shoot in Gormo cut the wire

5. Likes Flamingo, EUFighter liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    the oft used phrase..... I'm pulling it.....not pushing it... having expended a few rounds in the direction of the drougue myself I recall being told the object wasn't to hit the actual drogue but to register the hits on the telemetry carried in the drogue.... Whooosssh.. straight over my head,.. brain propgrammed to riddle it.... I catually doubt if I ever hit it.
    An easy mistake to make.
    "we don't want you to hit the target. Just try to aim as close as possible to it without actually touching it. Now in a real world situation of course we expect you to hit the target. If you don't you fail, but in this case, don't hit it. Any questions?"
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

7. Likes Flamingo, Sparky42 liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    The telemetry in the drogue sensed the overpressure from the bursting shells and/or the closeness of their passage near the drogue, by virtue of the disturbed air.

9. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes sofa, DeV, Flamingo, hptmurphy liked this post
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to see the Cessnas leave the fleet, definitely deserve a place in a museum for at least one

An article from a French blog about the Cessnas, it talks about having the aircraft rigged to carry a FLIR ball; have seen pics of other 172s carry a ball, but never knew the AC were looking into it. Could be in this guys mind though...

* https://translate.google.com/transla...2Fpage%2F10%2F

11. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    57mm on Eithne had a 6 degree throw off programmed into it to stop that happening
    Time for another break I think......

13. Thanks DeV, sofa thanked for this post
    Likes Tempest liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    The French gendarmerie use C182s fitted with FLIR balls and they patrol the borders with them.

15. Thanks meridian thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    2 AD gun crew in the early 1980's . All the other guns had just stopped firing and this was the final shot before at the target before we ceased fire.. I was one of the layers.

17. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, sofa liked this post
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    AC to operate stripped down versions of plane named after harry potter character

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/07/02...t-named-draco/
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

19. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by recoil View Post
    2 AD gun crew in the early 1980's . All the other guns had just stopped firing and this was the final shot before at the target before we ceased fire.. I was one of the layers.
    Do you recall a Aer Lingus jet entering the area.? or have I gone la la from the concussion?
    Last edited by sofa; 2nd July 2019 at 23:59.

Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    AC to operate stripped down versions of plane named after harry potter character

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/07/02...t-named-draco/
    Well, that character and some real folk... I mean DOJ might be reluctant for AGS to adopt the name if they wind up with a PC-12 - their simulated reaction is ably demonstrated by the appropriate smilies below....

1: Draco was the first democratic legislator, requested by the Athenian citizens to be a lawgiver for the city-state

2: But the citizens were fully unaware that Draco would establish laws characterized by their harshness

3: To this day, the adjective draconian refers to similarly unforgiving rules or laws, in Greek, English and other European languages.

22. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cant remember that year but aircraft were sometimes seen within the the arc of fire. I can remember reporting at least one airliner. I can remember being given binoculars to look out for stray aircraft when we were on the stationed on beach stopping access. One year the Puma helicopter came down the beach from Cock Lane direction( I was on the beach at the end of Cock lane and radioed or telephoned that it was on its way). It flew at about 20 feet off the ground then up over Ben Head and swooped down on the range. I think it was being used for parachute practice but took a detour to impress the gunners.

24. Likes Shaqra, Flamingo liked this post
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    August AFM has a small article and picture in the News section on the retirement of the 172s. Irish Air Letter of July 2019 also noted that 172s 208 and 210 were still noted as being operational after the official June 21st retirement.

26. Thanks EUFighter, DeV, na grohmiti thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pym View Post
    Well, that character and some real folk... I mean DOJ might be reluctant for AGS to adopt the name if they wind up with a PC-12 - their simulated reaction is ably demonstrated by the appropriate smilies below....

1: Draco was the first democratic legislator, requested by the Athenian citizens to be a lawgiver for the city-state

2: But the citizens were fully unaware that Draco would establish laws characterized by their harshness

3: To this day, the adjective draconian refers to similarly unforgiving rules or laws, in Greek, English and other European languages.
    Every day's a school day (origin of the word "draconian")
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

28. Likes Shaqra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    R203 retired today with 10,000 hours

30. Thanks sofa, Shaqra, meridian thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmiti, EUFighter, meridian liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    It'll go another 10, 000. Corrosion is what usually kills them.

Thread Information