No announcement yet.

Cessna Replacement - The Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was going to say the Pilatus's wheels looked a bit smaller than the Caravan's but only the nosewheel is smaller. Bet there's a Pilatus ad in the next An Cosantoir.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• well, Pilatus will win because one doesn't want to do Jollies to effing Kansas, because it's full of rubes who chew tobacco, whereas Zurich will do nicely, despite not being in the EU. I'd say the actual chances of a potential Air Corps PC-12 roughing it in a grimy hotspot like Chad are less than your chances of winning the Lotto. Also, the Swiss will throw tantrums if you actually use a Swiss aircraft in combat, the hypocrites.

Comment

• Is there another pressurised 9 pax turboprop single, in Mil service, on the market?

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
          Is there another pressurised 9 pax turboprop single, in Mil service, on the market?
          Socata TBM has 6 pax... French AF use them.

erm....
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocinante View Post
            Not wanting to jump the gun on this, but if there is an ISR solution wanted then something like Austrian Airborne technologies S.C.A.R. podded system might be something to look into.
            ISR aircraft solution, System Integration, Surveillance Aircraft, Special Mission Aircraft, Multi Mission Aircraft, Surveillance Platform, ISR Platform, SCAR-Pod, Airborne LINX, Mission Management System, Mission Management Unit, Carbon Fibre, EASA Certification Radomes, Bracket, Workstation, Camera Lift

You get a SIGINT/EO even a radar equipped version and it was originally designed to go on the PC-9.....

I don't think 9 personnel will fit in the baggage compartment of a PC9

Who says radar and SIGINT aren't options with the FWUA

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
            I was going to say the Pilatus's wheels looked a bit smaller than the Caravan's but only the nosewheel is smaller. Bet there's a Pilatus ad in the next An Cosantoir.
            Has been for over a year I think

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
            well, Pilatus will win because one doesn't want to do Jollies to effing Kansas, because it's full of rubes who chew tobacco, whereas Zurich will do nicely, despite not being in the EU. I'd say the actual chances of a potential Air Corps PC-12 roughing it in a grimy hotspot like Chad are less than your chances of winning the Lotto. Also, the Swiss will throw tantrums if you actually use a Swiss aircraft in combat, the hypocrites.
            Over the last few years there has been a push from DFHQ to get both NS and AC overseas (not sure how DOD feel about AC overseas).

Looking at the specs, when they are looking for options for a DAS - that isn't to stop Fantastia forces targeting them CASEVACing people from Waterford Airport

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
              Socata TBM has 6 pax... French AF use them.

erm....
              Doesn't meet all the specs

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                Doesn't meet all the specs
                Captain Obvious to the rescue once again.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                  well, Pilatus will win because one doesn't want to do Jollies to effing Kansas, because it's full of rubes who chew tobacco, whereas Zurich will do nicely, despite not being in the EU. I'd say the actual chances of a potential Air Corps PC-12 roughing it in a grimy hotspot like Chad are less than your chances of winning the Lotto. Also, the Swiss will throw tantrums if you actually use a Swiss aircraft in combat, the hypocrites.
                  Bloody neutrals.......Our Steyrs only fire blanks too.

Smiley

Comment

• So we have a tender written for one aircraft and one aircraft alone and a fine corporate overland taxi it is. Comfortable pressurised cabin with as much utility as a Ferrari in a bog. Boasting the ISTAR capability of a small UAV with none of the covertness, one wonders what they will do with 3, let alone 4. I look forward to at least a decade of Dail statements pointing to the purchase as evidence of this, the next and successive government's continued investment in our fine Air Corps.

Comment

• What else is out there that is more appropriate, reasonably priced and has utility?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                        So we have a tender written for one aircraft and one aircraft alone and a fine corporate overland taxi it is. Comfortable pressurised cabin with as much utility as a Ferrari in a bog. Boasting the ISTAR capability of a small UAV with none of the covertness, one wonders what they will do with 3, let alone 4. I look forward to at least a decade of Dail statements pointing to the purchase as evidence of this, the next and successive government's continued investment in our fine Air Corps.
                        Just because we can't find another contender doesn't mean there isn't one or that another proven design can't be adapted to meet the requirements (within the limits of tender) or that a larger aircraft won't be offered at a bargain price.

It will 1000% better in any role (apart from target towing) than the aircraft it is replacing and will add new roles.

The DF operates in generally permissive environments.

The suggestion of the 4th is for GASU. The new roles mean that 3 will be a good (and affordable) number.

You'd be giving out if the Cessna was still in service in another 10 years or if we were tendering for 10 a/c

Comment

• The Caravan, the Kodiak.

The PC-12 will be tasked with ambulance and ministerial transport, I've little doubt.

Comment

• allowing us to keep the Govt jet purely for ministerial transport obviously ....

What is our ISTAR package spec ask?

What is a realistic world military spec ISTAR package, that a country which takes national defence and surveillance seriously, look like?

how wide is the gulf between ours and that?

now, where else did we look to decide on this spec and what did the defence forces really request vs what the civil servant in charge agreed to allow us to tender for?

PC12 seems to be a longer range, pressurised cabin with lower payload.

How much have the gardai set aside for the replacement to the defender?
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• everybody seems to be OK with a single engine a/c flying over water?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                                So we have a tender written for one aircraft and one aircraft alone and a fine corporate overland taxi it is. Comfortable pressurised cabin with as much utility as a Ferrari in a bog. Boasting the ISTAR capability of a small UAV with none of the covertness, one wonders what they will do with 3, let alone 4. I look forward to at least a decade of Dail statements pointing to the purchase as evidence of this, the next and successive government's continued investment in our fine Air Corps.
                                I wonder how long after entry into service before the aircraft will find themself being used to ferry some junior minister and his handler to the opening of a golf club/community centre/public toilet in rural Ireland (within 10 miles of a suitable airstrip)

Comment

Working...
                                X