No announcement yet.

Cessna Replacement - The Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dunno! a few enthusiastic FCA / RDF gunners got too excited, on more than one occasion and added quite a bit of "lead" on the target, giving rise to swearing over the radio from the pilot and the poor eejit operating the drogue winch. One pilot was said to have called his winch operator "body armour", which allegedly prompted the man to hand in his notice as a winch operator. Gormo always had volunteers for parachuting ops but less so for gunnery. You can understand why.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
      I dunno! a few enthusiastic FCA / RDF gunners got too excited, on more than one occasion and added quite a bit of "lead" on the target, giving rise to swearing over the radio from the pilot and the poor eejit operating the drogue winch. One pilot was said to have called his winch operator "body armour", which allegedly prompted the man to hand in his notice as a winch operator. Gormo always had volunteers for parachuting ops but less so for gunnery. You can understand why.
      the oft used phrase..... I'm pulling it.....not pushing it... having expended a few rounds in the direction of the drougue myself I recall being told the object wasn't to hit the actual drogue but to register the hits on the telemetry carried in the drogue.... Whooosssh.. straight over my head,.. brain propgrammed to riddle it.... I catually doubt if I ever hit it.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Watched a L60 Bofors shoot in Gormo cut the wire

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          the oft used phrase..... I'm pulling it.....not pushing it... having expended a few rounds in the direction of the drougue myself I recall being told the object wasn't to hit the actual drogue but to register the hits on the telemetry carried in the drogue.... Whooosssh.. straight over my head,.. brain propgrammed to riddle it.... I catually doubt if I ever hit it.
          An easy mistake to make.
          "we don't want you to hit the target. Just try to aim as close as possible to it without actually touching it. Now in a real world situation of course we expect you to hit the target. If you don't you fail, but in this case, don't hit it. Any questions?"
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• The telemetry in the drogue sensed the overpressure from the bursting shells and/or the closeness of their passage near the drogue, by virtue of the disturbed air.

Comment

• Sorry to see the Cessnas leave the fleet, definitely deserve a place in a museum for at least one

An article from a French blog about the Cessnas, it talks about having the aircraft rigged to carry a FLIR ball; have seen pics of other 172s carry a ball, but never knew the AC were looking into it. Could be in this guys mind though...

* https://translate.google.com/transla...2Fpage%2F10%2F

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                Watched a L60 Bofors shoot in Gormo cut the wire
                57mm on Eithne had a 6 degree throw off programmed into it to stop that happening
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• The French gendarmerie use C182s fitted with FLIR balls and they patrol the borders with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                    Watched a L60 Bofors shoot in Gormo cut the wire
                    2 AD gun crew in the early 1980's . All the other guns had just stopped firing and this was the final shot before at the target before we ceased fire.. I was one of the layers.

Comment

• AC to operate stripped down versions of plane named after harry potter character

HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. -- After more than 13 years in service, the U-28A intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft officially received approval i ...
                      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by recoil View Post
                        2 AD gun crew in the early 1980's . All the other guns had just stopped firing and this was the final shot before at the target before we ceased fire.. I was one of the layers.
                        Do you recall a Aer Lingus jet entering the area.? or have I gone la la from the concussion?
                        Last edited by sofa; 3 July 2019, 00:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                          AC to operate stripped down versions of plane named after harry potter character

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/07/02...t-named-draco/
                          Well, that character and some real folk... I mean DOJ might be reluctant for AGS to adopt the name if they wind up with a PC-12 - their simulated reaction is ably demonstrated by the appropriate smilies below....

1: Draco was the first democratic legislator, requested by the Athenian citizens to be a lawgiver for the city-state

2: But the citizens were fully unaware that Draco would establish laws characterized by their harshness

3: To this day, the adjective draconian refers to similarly unforgiving rules or laws, in Greek, English and other European languages.

Comment

• Cant remember that year but aircraft were sometimes seen within the the arc of fire. I can remember reporting at least one airliner. I can remember being given binoculars to look out for stray aircraft when we were on the stationed on beach stopping access. One year the Puma helicopter came down the beach from Cock Lane direction( I was on the beach at the end of Cock lane and radioed or telephoned that it was on its way). It flew at about 20 feet off the ground then up over Ben Head and swooped down on the range. I think it was being used for parachute practice but took a detour to impress the gunners.

Comment

• August AFM has a small article and picture in the News section on the retirement of the 172s. Irish Air Letter of July 2019 also noted that 172s 208 and 210 were still noted as being operational after the official June 21st retirement.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                                Well, that character and some real folk... I mean DOJ might be reluctant for AGS to adopt the name if they wind up with a PC-12 - their simulated reaction is ably demonstrated by the appropriate smilies below....

1: Draco was the first democratic legislator, requested by the Athenian citizens to be a lawgiver for the city-state

2: But the citizens were fully unaware that Draco would establish laws characterized by their harshness

3: To this day, the adjective draconian refers to similarly unforgiving rules or laws, in Greek, English and other European languages.
                                Every day's a school day (origin of the word "draconian")
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X