Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Tactical Armoured Vehicle: Second attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder whether they'll go for the same engine as the Swedes for compatibility purposes

Comment

• New Irish DF LTAV's

i tink dats a fantastic peace of kit right there guys.im in love with the new irish LTAV,its just super duper
      Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• RG32M Steyr engine is also available as an upgrade for the Scorpion......

Comment

• They will be armed with a remotely operated turret with a .5 heavy machinegun or a 40mm automatic grenade launcher.
          Does the 40mm turret have an MG - grenades might be a bit much for some work.
          Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

• No. Its one or the other.

Presumably, you could mount your MAG on the RING to give some flexibility, but I expect cars would be paired up.
            Last edited by Goldie fish; 15 December 2008, 15:41.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• is there any pictures of the interior

does it have a stereo and is there a device for hanging your coat

in all seriousness - is there interior pics
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Only one I can find, for now.

Comment

• I presume that all the problems the Swedes have encountered(74 in total, most seriously dodgy ABS and pipes that burst during the Scandinavian winter) have been addressed and found to be not likely to occur with our order. The Swedish vehicles have only recently been put back into service after a roll over(one of four accidents) led to their withdrawal late last year.
                  Last edited by Fireplace; 15 December 2008, 16:48.
                  You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                    I wonder whether they'll go for the same engine as the Swedes for compatibility purposes
                    They will if its the cheapest option.
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Looks like the default engine in the RG-32 is the Steyr unit, so one can only assume that it will feature in any future Irish purchases.

Would be interesting to see what kind of deal could be done for some form of re-engining job and new FCS for the Scorpions. If the army want to keep them, it's long overdue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                        Looks like the default engine in the RG-32 is the Steyr unit, so one can only assume that it will feature in any future Irish purchases.

Would be interesting to see what kind of deal could be done for some form of re-engining job and new FCS for the Scorpions. If the army want to keep them, it's long overdue.
                        The problem with the scorpion is that its main arnament is fast becoming obsolete, and most of its users are phasing the vehicle out, belgium has already got rid of its. if you're going to consider any sort of upgrade apart from a limited one to prolong its service as a training vehicle, then it might be better off in buying more Mowags with 30mm.
                        Last edited by paul g; 15 December 2008, 21:09.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
                          The problem with the scorpion is that its main arnament is fast becoming obsolete, and most of its users are phasing the vehicle out, belgium has already got rid of its. if you're going to consider any sort of upgrade apart from a limited one to prolong its service as a training vehicle, then it might be better off in buying more Mowags with 30mm.
                          Why not convert them to tracked recovery vehicles, would have helped to have a few in chad I bet.
                          Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

• As a recovery vehicle I'd imagine they have the pulling power of a spotty ginger kid at a pool party in the Playboy Mansion.

Comment

• There's a claim on another site that the British Army wanted the RG32M, but were forced for political reasons to select the Iveco Panther instead - any truth in that?

We're paying 19.6 million euro for 27 vehicles - which is about 730,000 each - whereas the Swedes are supposed to have paid £152,000 (171,000 euro) each for 102 RG32Ms in 2005 - seems a fairly large price difference.

Comment

• I'd wait for official confirmation from the DoD. That price sounds wrong, given that the much larger Piranha cost €1m. My understanding was we were estimating paying €250,000 per vehicle. I'd be inclined to think the 19m or so is for the full option, i.e 54 vehicles, of all types, including RWS where fitted.

As I say, waiting for confirmation from the DoD.

Comment

Working...
                                X