Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Tactical Armoured Vehicle: Second attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hearts and minds

Originally posted by Docman View Post
    I suppose, if you want to meet & greet, you can always open the door....
    ... or the roof hatch..

Portuguese Panhard M-11 (VBL) in Kosovo.

Comment

Was doing a bit of zipping around the interweb and came across this.

The Panhard A4 AVL http://www.panhard.fr/anglais/A4avl/CTA4.htm

and the A5 AVXL. http://www.panhard.fr/anglais/A5/CTA5.htm
      Theirs not to make reply,
      Theirs not to reason why,
      Theirs but to do and die:
      Into the valley of Death
      Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by carrington View Post
        ... or the roof hatch..
        Yes, up well above eye level, wearing a big vehicle helmet, and with a machine gun in front of you. A great way to win hearts and minds! Not to mention being a nice big target for a sniper.

Comment

don't hit me with them negative waves, man..

Originally posted by Barry View Post
          Yes, up well above eye level, wearing a big vehicle helmet, and with a machine gun in front of you. A great way to win hearts and minds! Not to mention being a nice big target for a sniper.
          Ah now, it's easy to be critical... (I should know)

As you get older you learn that life is about compromises, picking the best out of a selection of imperfect alternatives, getting the balance right... Take the case of an LTAV on a peacekeeping/peace enforcement mission, for example. You want a show of force, to deter the bad guys and provide security for the community, but you don't want to imtimidate ordinary people or provoke them into siding with the enemy. You want your troops to be as secure as possible too, but you also want positive interaction with the local people, both to win their support for your mission and to pick up some intelligence.

As you can see from some of the earlier posts in this thread, there was a discussion about whether or not the LTAV should have openable windows. One of the advantages of being able to open the window was said to be that you could interact with the 'natives' (not sure if that's a politically correct term..). However apparently this is not feasible with an armoured vehicle and thick bulletproof windows. Someone remarked that you could always meet and greet by opening the door of the vehicle. The roof hatch is another, possibly more secure option.

Don't people expect soldiers to wear helmets and have guns? And snipers will always be a risk, unless you're buttoned up in an MBT the whole time.

Comment

The troops could always dismount and have a proper chat with the locals?

Would having a wind-down armoured window not increase the armour protection of the actual door?

Seriously though, armour is heavy. The Dingo has hydraulic assisted doors which apparently are prone to breakage. Not sure if this problem has been fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Would having a wind-down armoured window not increase the armour protection of the actual door?
              And leave a big open hole where it once was!!

It complicates every thing. Hydraulic hoses going into doors. You lose seal if deflected by bullet strike. Not to mention increasing the price, maintenance and chances of it breaking half way down

Can we just all forget about the roll down windows. Otherwise it will develop into whether the LTAV should be a convertible

Just look at every vehicle posted on this page. See NO ROLL DOWN WINDOWS!
              Last edited by ZULU; 23 April 2007, 23:10.
              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Vision blocks for everyone. Or that hatch in the side like the M3 had...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan View Post
                  That was to shoot back aswell tripper
                  I do realise that. But it still proves that you are minimising your balistic protection. the round were coming through the door before any windows were put down.
                  Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

Originally posted by mugs View Post
                    Was doing a bit of zipping around the interweb and came across this.

The Panhard A4 AVL http://www.panhard.fr/anglais/A4avl/CTA4.htm

and the A5 AVXL. http://www.panhard.fr/anglais/A5/CTA5.htm
                    For a french vehicle that is f..ugly!
                    lools like 60's gun truck

Comment

• I agree. We would become known as the guys that drive the ugly trucks.

Comment

• If they were painted grey they could pass for PSNI land rovers

Seriously though how often is such a vehicle needed.

Is this just Willie looking for more toys for the boys
                        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Originally posted by luchi View Post
                          *pft* let him
                          Theirs not to make reply,
                          Theirs not to reason why,
                          Theirs but to do and die:
                          Into the valley of Death
                          Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

If they were painted grey they could pass for PSNI land rovers

Are you complaining about getingnew toys

Comment

anything that adds not only to our protection but to

our safety

cannot be simply dismissed as a toy

But in reality I am sure you were simply joking
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I take it you don't have a Copy of the TAMS then.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X