Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Tactical Armoured Vehicle: Second attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would say that the tender is wide ranging I think loosely defined is a bad description Murph. With my knowledge of tender processes within my industry wide ranging tenders do have some pro's a wider reaching tender would attracted a wide variety of bids at different price ranges giving greater choice. I don’t think the dept. or the army are looking for an AML replacement I’d say it’s a vehicle to replace the Nissans when out on patrol with the MOWAG's overseas and in training at home. I’ve seen Nissans on patrol with the MOWAG’s in different TV and press pictures. I reckon you will see more MOWAG's with the 30mm turrets as the AML 20’s replacement maybe not in the near future but that seems to be thinking AML 90 would be a different animal again something like a the Pandur 6x6 with the 90mm gun. It says in the start post that it’s to be equipped with no greater than a 12.7mm so that rules out AML replacements in my book. If the Nutter is right and 200k is a good price per unit 6.5 million would buy you 33 units. This is about right as I seem to remember a total of 66 units mentioned earlier on and if this was a first instalment it would probably be agreed with whoever wins the competition that half the money would be paid up front with the other half being paid when the last units are delivered. This protects the dept. from ripped off so to speak due to bankruptcy of the company, failure to delivery, failure to delivery on time etc. Also how about this vehicle seems to tick most of the boxes.
    The Cobra light armoured vehicle Recommended White Papers Whitepaper ARMA 6×6 Wheeled Armoured Vehicle Whitepaper TULPAR Armoured Tracked Vehicle View…
    Attached Files

Comment

• Pirana
      Correct the 6.5m figure is in fact the initial down payment. Standard procedure by the dept. It is not possible to deduce a final number from this figure as it is impossible to know at the current time whether it is 50% payment or indeed more or less . Remember, the Gulfstream Govt jet was paid for over a number of years. Ten if I remember correctly.

Comment

• That Otokar Cobra sure is Ugly though...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Who says the army is about looks,if it works use it.
          Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

• Originally posted by paul View Post
            Who says the army is about looks,if it works use it.
            Not true.

when it comes to mil veh ugly is good but I am sure GF is well aware of the importance of appearance.
            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Light Tactical Armoured Vehicle: Second attempt.

Is the BAE Landsystems RG32M Galten out of the running ?
              Considering the Swedes have them ( And they were deployed with the
              Nordic Battlegroup I believe) Purchased 98 vehicles for €21 million.
              Would it fit the bill ?
              " People, we are Leaving !!"

Comment

• I think it would.

Comment

• I think at a political level several suppliers are going to be put out of the link...and unfortuneately OTOKAR and their landrover derived products will fit in to that sphere unless there is some progress made with there attempts to gain entry to the EU.

In fairness I think this size vehicle is what can be realitically expected rather than the top shelf products previously posted.

It has to be borne in mind that the AMLs were used as recce vehicles which were self sufficent in fire support and were used as part of a 'troop' consisting of a dismountable element.

The thinking has moved on a touch to now incorporate that these detachments should have troop carrying vehicles which can defend them selves. hence the MOWAG with the RWS and 30mm turret

The concept of armoured scout cars has always been a bit of a grey area with the Army unless you want to include Beaverettes.

The concept of low cost versatile armoured vehicles should have been adressed before but again the greater need of the Mowag was served...I just wonder will the concept survive the upcoming financial winter of discontent.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• very nice that will do people that will do
                    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

• If the spec is the same as the last one and nothing suits it. If a vehicle that doesn't meet full spec is purchased it will go to the High Court.

Comment

• Not quite true.
                        Didn't the minister decide to defer the tender untel the market had matured? You can translate that as "we didnt want any prototypes". Wait until the Brits have their LTAVs in service and operational, see if they got what they paid for, then learn from their mistakes.

Any of the offered machines could have fit the bill, but some had not really been tried and tested operationally.
                        No doubt the panel of experts on the selection board made their recommendations. These recommendations may stand. However by revisiting it now, we may know more about certain, newer models, as other nations may have selected them. The Eagle IV and the Iveco for example.

Comment

• Has anyone who frequents other military boards heard anything about the Panther CLV Used by the British Army? I heard the Norwegians have them also, which might mark them as a top choice for us, NBG etc?

Last edited by Goldie fish; 20 December 2007, 22:52.

Comment

• Only that no one seems to know what they are going to be used for now GF with all the other armoured vehicles being bought under UOR's, rumour is the first batch is just sitting in storage, they are not armoured enough for use...just what I've read.
                            Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• The Cougar is taking most of th eOperational use I suppose, and its too risky to try them out in A-Stan, until the bugs, if any, are sorted I suppose.

Comment

• When I first saw a Panther at Bovvy, they were being purchased only as mobile command vehicles, and well-equipped ones at that. I guess their purchases may have been expanded since.

NTM
                                Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Working...
                                X