Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Tactical Armoured Vehicle: Second attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking forward to getting a glimpse of these hopefully! anyone seen them yet?
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Explore Óglaigh na hÉireann’s 55,872 photos on Flickr!

here it is,..just found it on facebook,sweet looking machines i must say

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunner62 View Post
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfmagazine/

here it is,..just found it on facebook,sweet looking machines i must say
        cheers, some good pics alright!
        I knew a simple soldier boy.....
        Who grinned at life in empty joy,
        Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
        And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
        With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
        He put a bullet through his brain.
        And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
        Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
        Sneak home and pray you'll never know
        The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Nice to see they aren't afraid to get em dirty. Good high Snorkel there too. Should be able to manage any future floods...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Generally, they look like a fine machine alright, the one quibble I would have is that cupola/armoured turret thing, looks like a grenade trap to me?

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              No. It's a generic size, such the aviation industry using a standard weight for adult males and adult females.The car industry is also concerned with height of the end users so generic size and weight models are used to decide the seat size and space available in the car's cabin. In aviation, it isn't always possible to actually weigh people so a weight, of say 85kg, is used for an adult male (regardless of actual weight, girth, legsize,etc) so that the pilots/load supervisors can generate a ballpark figure of how much the selfloading cargo weigh. It is also the case the passengers in some operations are actually weighed (helicopters being one case)(discretely, the weighing scales are under the carpet) and passengers distributed in the aircraft accordingly.Aer Arran's ATRs are critical on exact weight distribution so you will often see pax concentrated under the wing area to keep the load distribution right.
              regards
              GttC
              Comments at a recent armoured vehicle conference have revealed that the engineers designing vehicles have had an epiphany about the 95th Percentile issue.

Firstly, that on average soldiers tend to be bigger than most of the population. Nice, strong, healthy lads who work out. Secondly, once you factor in the small detail that soldiers today tend to wear body armour, suddenly almost none of them fit within the '95th percentile' theory.

NTM
              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

• Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
                Comments at a recent armoured vehicle conference have revealed that the engineers designing vehicles have had an epiphany about the 95th Percentile issue.

Firstly, that on average soldiers tend to be bigger than most of the population. Nice, strong, healthy lads who work out. Secondly, once you factor in the small detail that soldiers today tend to wear body armour, suddenly almost none of them fit within the '95th percentile' theory.

NTM
                Imagine that! 6ft and over guys weighing in at more than 90kg with over 50kg of kit on them!
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by California Tanker View Post

NTM
                  Thats why Willie O'Dea arranged for us to soldiers who are 5ft 2

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    You're saying that the height limit was lowered because manufacturers weren't making vehicles big enough for soldiers wearing body armour? That's some........interesting logic.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      God forbid anyone 6 foot or more tries to join the army now a days.
                      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

• I know of some in the DF who are of the vertically challenged. They've faced a tough time of dragging my sorry ass when I was made into a casualty, thats for sure.
                        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Did they lower the height req's due to pressure from some birds rights group, to allow more ladies

to join ?

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                            Did they lower the height req's due to pressure from some birds rights group, to allow more ladies to join ?
                            I wouldn't be to sure that the height regulations were lowered, more like they were brought in where there was nothing before. When I joined, in '86, as a vertically challenged 5'6", it was nice to tower over the stores Sgt who was only 5'2" on his best day.

I talked to him about it on duty a couple of years later and he told me that it was not an issue when he joined in the '60's
                            CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• The average soldier particularly in infantry units is probably smaller than the average civvy. Look at the 5th Batt probably the shortest unit in the army, if they has slanty eyees they could be mistaken for gurkhas. Byt still a great unit and probably the best if u were in a scrap.

Comment

• On the subject of the size of soldiers, I was shown the video demo for the new Roll Over Protection System yesterday and even the skinny civvi giving the demo the looked like he was struggling to get into the seat!!

They are incredibly narrow so I'd hate to try and get in while wearing any type of load carrying equipment, especially the battle vest with leg pouches. On another point you are not supposed to carry the backpack in the truck with you as there is no way to secure it.

There is a clip for the Steyr beside each seat but there's nowhere for a MAG!
                                CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Working...
                                X