Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  70
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 119
  1. #76
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least 1 NS PO commissioned as an army Lt

  2. #77
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    At least 1 NS PO commissioned as an army Lt
    It works the other way too, I know of an army Sgt that was commissioned as a Navy Sub Lt.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  3. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  4. #78
    BQMS Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations to all the new officers.

  5. Likes DeV, Bayern Fan liked this post
  6. #79
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,142
    Post Thanks / Like

  7. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo liked this post
  8. #80
    Caporal chef de premiere bohs fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    GLASNEVIN (DNS)
    Posts
    320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dev many thanks for that nice to see on of our lads in those photos & congrats to all
    Bohs till I die

  9. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Bayern Fan, DeV liked this post
  10. #81
    Major General ODIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have to say, I am a fan of using Dublin Castle for Commissioning's. The march past Christ Church looks fantastic. Also, it puts the DF in the public eye for the day. Well done to all who were commissioned.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

  11. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  12. #82
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    9,818
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have to say, I am a fan of using Dublin Castle for Commissioning's
    I'd say for me places like Tara and other ancient places would be better .....
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  13. Likes DeV liked this post
  14. #83
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,727
    Post Thanks / Like
    CFR as a Captain?..what qualification did that require?
    Time for another break I think......

  15. #84
    CQMS
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    CFR as a Captain?..what qualification did that require?
    Senior NCOs are commissioned as captains.

  16. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
  17. #85
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    And QQI Level 7 (but they all needed that)

  18. #86
    bosun
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    cork
    Posts
    1,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    The major question is if you are a c/s and get rank of captain ,, wages improve or stay the same..???

  19. #87
    BQMS Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golden rivet View Post
    The major question is if you are a c/s and get rank of captain ,, wages improve or stay the same..???
    Is a Captain still not on more with MSA included?

  20. Likes northie liked this post
  21. #88
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,727
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golden rivet View Post
    The major question is if you are a c/s and get rank of captain ,, wages improve or stay the same..???
    I would reckon it would have to be either equal to or greater than. Again it might depend on point of scale that you leave the SNCO rank at.
    Time for another break I think......

  22. #89
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like
    Minimum requirement to get onto to the course as a Senior NCO or Junior was 6 D3's at Ordinary Level in the Leaving Certificate, no requirement for a Level 7.
    Each member of the course would have recieved a pay increase.

  23. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  24. #90
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coy Sgt at point 4 including MSA is on about €49,442 gross.

    Captain at point 1 including MSA is on about €51,733 + other allowances

    https://www.defence.ie/system/files/...pay-scales.pdf
    https://www.defence.ie/system/files/...s-officers.pdf



    Also, whoever signed off on the DoD website and allows such piss poor quality content like the above be uploaded needs their position to be reviewed

  25. Thanks DeV, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, na grohmiti liked this post
  26. #91
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Junior Minister stated in the Seanad this evening, 2 new courses in 2021 and 2024

  27. #92
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,389
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Junior Minister stated in the Seanad this evening, 2 new courses in 2021 and 2024
    Said to Mr Protac last week that further PO Courses were on the radar. Didn't believe me then....
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  28. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  29. #93
    C/S
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    266
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 2021 course has been known about for some time.

    They are a great retention initiative, keeping excellent NCOs in the DF that might otherwise leave. The NCOs that get commissioned generally become excellent officers as they have a lot of experience that the other YOs don't have. They free up SNCO appointments in many cases, offering career paths for other excellent NCOs that might not have happened otherwise.

    My only concern with running 3 courses in 6 years is that in many cases you will be drawing from the same pool, so someone that was miles off the mark in 2018, might be a front runner in 2024 without their standard improving.

    As for the Protac guy's opinion - I was unaware that he had a role in our HR policies, I thought he just sold over priced rubbish?

  30. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, apod, na grohmiti, UniSol, hptmurphy liked this post
  31. #94
    Commander in Chief Bravo20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    5,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    My only concern with running 3 courses in 6 years is that in many cases you will be drawing from the same pool, so someone that was miles off the mark in 2018, might be a front runner in 2024 without their standard improving.
    The same could have been said when the increased the cadet class size to over 100.

    CFR should be a regular, recognised and encouraged route to being an officer. To do that you need to have regular scheduled potential officers courses. So starting to run them every 3 years as opposed to every decade is a good start.

  32. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, apod, Truck Driver liked this post
  33. #95
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    The 2021 course has been known about for some time.

    They are a great retention initiative, keeping excellent NCOs in the DF that might otherwise leave. The NCOs that get commissioned generally become excellent officers as they have a lot of experience that the other YOs don't have. They free up SNCO appointments in many cases, offering career paths for other excellent NCOs that might not have happened otherwise.

    My only concern with running 3 courses in 6 years is that in many cases you will be drawing from the same pool, so someone that was miles off the mark in 2018, might be a front runner in 2024 without their standard improving.

    As for the Protac guy's opinion - I was unaware that he had a role in our HR policies, I thought he just sold over priced rubbish?
    Definitely positive for all. Especially when you look at some of the stuff that came up in the climate surveys interviews etc.

    But then you’d have some who would be ineligible and newly eligible personnel coming through

  34. #96
    C/S
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    The same could have been said when the increased the cadet class size to over 100.

    CFR should be a regular, recognised and encouraged route to being an officer. To do that you need to have regular scheduled potential officers courses. So starting to run them every 3 years as opposed to every decade is a good start.
    Have you seen the standard produced by the Cadet School over the last few years? The only thing giving me any hope is that they dont hang around for too long!

  35. Likes apod liked this post
  36. #97
    Commander in Chief Bravo20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    5,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    Have you seen the standard produced by the Cadet School over the last few years? The only thing giving me any hope is that they dont hang around for too long!
    Thankfully no But I have heard the reports

  37. #98
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do the non-graduates (Cadets) still do USAC?


    Surely that is a waste of limited resources

  38. #99
    C/S
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Do the non-graduates (Cadets) still do USAC?


    Surely that is a waste of limited resources
    Yes they do.

    As to whether it is a waste, that surely depends on your views of education and professional development

  39. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver, DeV liked this post
  40. #100
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,389
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    Have you seen the standard produced by the Cadet School over the last few years? The only thing giving me any hope is that they dont hang around for too long!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    Thankfully no But I have heard the reports
    Jaysus....
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •