NS RIB Tender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Jaguars.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      More Jaguars.
      Would I be right in saying replacement of the existing RIBs?

Comment

Sort of. The P50s have been swapping around with Eithnes Diesel RIBs since Eithnes conversion(mentioned elsewhere in this section). By all accounts they are an excellent boat, combined with the removal of the need to store Large quantities of Petrol out on the open decks.

However the older 5.4m Avon Sea riders are in use by all the current vessels in the Fleet(except Eithne). I assume the 2 mentioned above would be either swapped around the Caley equipped ships, or used when Eithnes Pair are away for maintenance.(She has to take back the petrol engined craft when her 2 Diesel boats are elsewhere. A logistical nightmare I imagine.

Comment

The AVON Sea rider is an excellent RIB. Light and fast, and extremely good in heavy seas.

I managed to keep pace with a Delta 90Hp while helming a Avon 40Hp while in a choppy sea F6. The thing just seemed to skip of the waves.

I haven't seen the new inboard diesels. Whats the layout of them. Are they rear or for'd console arrangement?
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

rear.

Comment

"The AVON Sea rider is an excellent RIB. Light and fast, and extremely good in heavy seas"

Yeah right........light fast and with a reputation for hurting people,

Try with a Johnson 70hp hanging off the arse

Gave a lot of time in hospital because of a searider....
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

SeaRider does 'ride' better than the newer ribs IMO, the diesel inboards ar a lot heavier along with the extra size of the boat means you have to hang on much tighter in a swell and are bounced around a lot more.

A lot of people have been injured during boardings, a trawler man helping me aboard in a 2m swell last year said as I boarded: "I thought my job was dangerous".

In defense of the newer boats, holding on to the side of a trawler should be easier with more power to push the stem on, less movement in light swells, more deck space for jumping back in.
                No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
                No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Have you tried to take up a kneeling firing position on the steel deck of a ship recently?

It is more usual however for RIB crews to wear Typhoon suits, rather than overalls.
                  Great to see the progress that the service is making with equipment and the first searider was tried out in the basin with a haeley hansen suit jockey jordan was the man who got the ball rolling with them the whole depot was down looking at the display.. a huge change from the boarding boat blue foul weather gear with the towel wrapped around the neck...

Comment

The latest feature is a "wet room" where you can change into your typhoon suit before going boarding, and out of it after return, and leave it to dry out properly, without getting the rest of your cabin soaked in the process.
                    The P50 Class have it, and it will be a feature on all future ships.

Comment

Yeah the towel was real touch of class..about the only use you could make of the issue towels.

They had a great dry hip pocket for keeping your fags in while waiting for the boarding party..never mind the 10 gallons of petrol that was constantly under water at the back.

I always wondered how they were supposed to keep you afloat when they usually left in more water than they kept out..but insanity prevailed over safety and off we clambered in to the endless deep with a boat that only stayed in the water by the virtue of the amount of water passing through it..us clad in our dodgy helly suits complete with steel toe capped safety boots and monkey caps..motorola radios which swung around your neck with leather straps and rope lanyards which upon returning to ship without the threat of being keel hauled was very real.

Ah the good old days.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Delta Power won this latest tender also.

Comment

The Delivered Craft.

Comment

I was looking at Dealt Power's customer list. Quite impressive. It's includes the Irish Coast Guard & Garda aswell.

Comment

Considering 6 of these RIBs are currently being worked on does this mean there are 8 of Delta RIBs (of two different layouts) in the NS?

Comment

It is good to see that the inspectors were given the chance to seek the opinions of the users of the craft as how to make improvements to make the Seamen and Womens job that much less difficult, when operating in the rips in all conditions.

Comment

Working...
                                X