Bray Airshows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
    Got stuck in Tara street when we decided that it was a lost cause, trying to get out was reminiscent of something during the fall of Saigon, the whole system seemed to fail, rumour has it that Irish Rail plan on charging as many as possible of those who abandoned the Dart EMUs after being stuck in them for 2 hours or more. You can probably make it up, barely
    in fairness, it’s an incredibly dangerous thing to do.

the 1st train that they did it is only about 300 metres short of the station

the 2nd (or 3rd, not sure which) train was possibly 1 to 1.5 km away

did I see trains with only 4 carriages?

Comment

The whole thing about train lengths versus platform lengths is a hardy perennial, rolls around every year and it is a source of much bitterness between Unions and Irish Rail. It has been a bone of contention as long as Special trains for Gah matches have existed and will continue to do so, regardless of the train in question being a DART or a Mainline unit. If a train is a carriage longer than a platform's marked length, then the train will not be allowed to use that platform, so the train must be kept short, despite the engine being perfectly capable of hauling it, hence crowded trains. Irish Rail tried to get around the drivers objections by increasing platform length where they could and a lot of modern stations have very long platforms as a result, more in keeping with European standards. The drivers of the trains are canny operators and will work rigidly within the rules when it suits them and will generate a great deal of overtime, when it suits them. This is not going away and you can expect to see more of this.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post

in fairness, it’s an incredibly dangerous thing to do.

the 1st train that they did it is only about 300 metres short of the station

the 2nd (or 3rd, not sure which) train was possibly 1 to 1.5 km away

did I see trains with only 4 carriages?
        Listening to Joe today and the passengers were saying that the trains were full from the City Centre and with the heat and lack of communication over the "5 Minute" delay into Bray resulted in one or more passengers taking a turn (possibly a panic attack??) and when they tried the emergency call buttons they got no reply, so the passengers then felt they needed to take action. Now yes they shouldn't have done it and technically it did result in Tresspassing on the railway and could have resulted in something much worse then, but for Irish Rail to say it was only going to be a five minute delay is missing the point.... as someone who experienced a 5-10 minute wait on a Tube train between stations in the heat, I can tell you it fells at lot longer especially when you are getting little to no information.

@GTTC - I can't wait for the hooha over the new "5 Car" DARTs (or "10 Car" when coupled) even though allegedly the Five Car sets are around the same length of the the current 4 car sets.
        Last edited by CTU; 25 July 2022, 19:43.
        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

I was in Weston on the Saturday; a few quid for the VdePs, close up access to the aircraft that were operating out of there for the airshow and good food and chat and no guff. Worked like a charm. I wasn't able to make it into Baldonnel on Friday, but I'm told it went very well, no messing about and close access to the aircraft. Ireland can do small very well but sometimes, our big stuff can turn into a shitshow very quickly and it's often down to weather, the sheer mass of attendees and traffic.

Comment

I was at an Air Corps Family day many years ago and it was actually far better organised than the Air Spectacular that was on in the same location a few years later.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
              I was at an Air Corps Family day many years ago and it was actually far better organised than the Air Spectacular that was on in the same location a few years later.
              Think I was at the 75th anniversary in Baldonnel I was at brilliant static and air display

Comment

Think I was at the 75th anniversary in Baldonnel I was at brilliant static and air display
                It may have been. I remember a Viggen, and maybe an A10 on static? The photos are about somewhere. Reds did a fly in.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post

Listening to Joe today and the passengers were saying that the trains were full from the City Centre and with the heat and lack of communication over the "5 Minute" delay into Bray resulted in one or more passengers taking a turn (possibly a panic attack??) and when they tried the emergency call buttons they got no reply, so the passengers then felt they needed to take action. Now yes they shouldn't have done it and technically it did result in Tresspassing on the railway and could have resulted in something much worse then, but for Irish Rail to say it was only going to be a five minute delay is missing the point.... as someone who experienced a 5-10 minute wait on a Tube train between stations in the heat, I can tell you it fells at lot longer especially when you are getting little to no information.

@GTTC - I can't wait for the hooha over the new "5 Car" DARTs (or "10 Car" when coupled) even though allegedly the Five Car sets are around the same length of the the current 4 car sets.
                  I can tell you there is a 5-10 min delay there every day of the week at rush hour and it is never announced

Comment

I can tell you there is a 5-10 min delay there every day of the week at rush hour and it is never announced
                    Which is fine for REGULAR COMMUTERS who know the score, in the same way that if I hear a call for "Inspector Sands" in a station, I will do everything in my power not to miss my next train.

The problem is that yesterday the trains were full of Passengers who may have not taken that journey before and when the Service gets complacent and doesn't do the announcements advising of what it may think is a normal operational delay or not keeping passengers informed because of an unforseen event, then those passengers are going to get annoyed very fast especially when they have been on a packed train in the heat for close to an hour, and the simplist thing will set them off.
                    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                    It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post

Which is fine for REGULAR COMMUTERS who know the score, in the same way that if I hear a call for "Inspector Sands" in a station, I will do everything in my power not to miss my next train.

The problem is that yesterday the trains were full of Passengers who may have not taken that journey before and when the Service gets complacent and doesn't do the announcements advising of what it may think is a normal operational delay or not keeping passengers informed because of an unforseen event, then those passengers are going to get annoyed very fast especially when they have been on a packed train in the heat for close to an hour, and the simplist thing will set them off.
                      Absolutely apart from 1 thing - it isn’t fine for regular commuters

its about 20km from Connolly Station to Bray…. Journey time is approx an hour

this delay contributes significantly to that journey time

​​​​​​​that journey time isn’t acceptable (on a normal day)

Comment

Mid air crash at Dallas air show today

Comment

Working...
                        X