Debate on Fitness & how ITs should be introduced for RDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
    its so annoying listening to all the "warriors" bleating on about gucchi gear and 5.56 vs 7.62, etc. etc. when they make statements that show that concentrating on the most basic of soldiering principles is lost on them. !

To be honest, I dont think anyone who has not been in combat, can call themselves a warrior.
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by madmark View Post
      docman i dont know about limerick but in clonmel gym facilities are PDF only
      Interesting. I've never had any problem getting access to them. I've yet to be in a barracks where the PDF didn't allow me to use their facilities when I asked....so long as I stay within the rules that the PDF are required to follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by trooperette View Post
        well if there isnt why are they treating as if we are, the PDF do PT in the barracks as part of there training, they have free facilities and courses, trainers there with them. the reserve is a part time voluntary organisation. i do training for RDF in my spare time, but there are people out there who work full time jobs, have deadlines to meet and have families. its a hobbie at the end of the day.
        I train twice a day, I'm lucky if I can get one session done in the barracks.

I honestly can't believe the DF is being blamed on people's lack of fitness. Get off your hole's and go do some PT, or would these same people want the COS out on a run with them?

****ing hell.

And what is the obsession with getting issued a poxy tracksuit?
        Last edited by Hello Alaska; 22 June 2009, 16:49.

Comment

• the points im trying to make have very little to do with my own fitness at the moment im just back from a run and doing some weights which is my personal choice

the points i am trying to make again .
          • the RDF is does not have a fitness culture at recruit level .
          • the poxy tracksuit is not about the poxy tracksuit its about IMHO the defense forces forces, saying yes a reservist must be fit not because he / she is a reservist on a career course but because he or she is a reserve from day one ( perhaps no one else sees any thread of where im coming from i may not be making my point clear ) .
          • i am in favor of life tests from day one and as condition on my( and everybody else s continuance of service
          • when you join the pdf from day one or very early on there is a fitness culture ,you are given time to train it is part of the programme , i m not saying we as reserves should have a structured fitness programme three times a week 52 weeks of the year but the reserve does nt have a fitness culture

[/LIST]
          Last edited by greyfox; 22 June 2009, 17:35.
          "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

• Originally posted by greyfox View Post
            the RDF is does not have a fitness culture at recruit level ......i m not saying we as reserves should have a structured fitness programme three times a week 52 weeks of the year but the reserve does nt have a fitness culture
            A fitness culture does not appear overnight. It took the PDF years to develop one. Seeing as fitness was only introduced into the RDF in 2006, it has already made a major impact upon the RDF - even if it is only to get people talking about it. There WILL be a fitness culture, it will take time and it will be difficult. There are already many units who make a major effort in promoting fitness, every course has a fitness element and many more people are attempting to get fit that were 10 years ago.

It will take time. It will happen.

Comment

• Seeing as fitness was only introduced into the RDF in 2006
              ... Reintroduced rather.

When I joined, in 1986, you ran everywhere. Almost overnight, somewhere around 1989, it vanished.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Hello alaska, if you re read my post you may find the part where i say i DO get off my hole and run as you so put it,

Comment

• Originally posted by madmark View Post
                  docman i dont know about limerick but in clonmel gym facilities are PDF only
                  You sure about that, when we were there you got a chit signed by the adj. to go into the public pool and gym. Though this was on Full time training.
                  Last edited by Docman; 22 June 2009, 23:22.
                  Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

• Originally posted by trooperette
                    just to go back a bit PNCOS cse is just to see are you Physically fit to be an NCO, as was said earlier, POTS sweated blood and tears. the cse is centred around fitness. but how will this teach them to be better NCOs, you will learn to give a class etc all the nessessary, but you get no experience as an NCO or dealing with troops. some guy could be fit but have no cop on and he'll get stripes.
                    i no fitness is important but have they not proved themselves to be fit having passed ITs.
                    i think in todays society a bit more should be put in to dealing wit the troops, HR and the like. as a Cpl is the Immediate link with the troops. i think it is just as important as MOI or anything else
                    I didn't realise you had the Potential NCO Course done already.

Congratulations.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Bosco;257985]
                      Originally posted by madmark View Post

You sure about that, when we were there you got a chit signed by the adj. to go into the public pool and gym. Though this was on Full time training.
                      thats the clonmel town gym and pool not the gym in barracks

i like greyfox believe that recruits SHOULD HAVE some form of life test and so should the rest of the reserve not because there on a course it should be a condition for attending camp for all ranks if you attain at lest this you might a well be pissing in the wind
                      o and this should be done ASAP
                      Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

• infcpl, excellent post. Agree with a lot that you have said.
                        Would second that.

On the issue of fitness you have to be fit going on NCOs course, you don't go there to get fit.

like all other things the 7 Ps apply and fitness is primary.

Was never 'into' the fitness side of things my slef but always had prepared myself to push that little bit harder when having to perform in front of and with other people.

Never did the gym thing or running the roads but coming up to camps I used some swimming to improve my stamina.

I learned my own limits very early on and learned how to cope with them..get a corporal to do all the running but having said that and having been a corporal for 9 years the physicallity of the job was over looked for far to long.

I was never overly interested in fitness having been forced into it as a recruit in the NS but realised how important it was and so on the whole did enough to keep me going but had I worked at it probably would have been better off.

there is that very small band of people who don't have to worry about fitness as they have a natural ability to endure..they do exist....I'm not one of them but have seen a couple in action and know they exist.

Orienteering amazed me to this degree as we had a couple of guys who ordinarily needed help crossing the road but out in the sticks they were brilliant.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          get a corporal to do all the running
                          Gotta love the warcry of a 3striper plus
                          Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            I didn't realise you had the Potential NCO Course done already.

Congratulations.
                            read the rest of the post, just bring you up to date on my position

Comment

• Originally posted by trooperette View Post
                              read the rest of the post, just bring you up to date on my position
                              Oh, I assumed you had already been on one, by the way you talk about it..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmark
                                .....in clonmel gym facilities are PDF only
                                Well, someone is acting the bollocks with ya.

In my location, when I went enquiring about use of the gym, IT tests, etc., the PTI
                                was only too happy to explain all. This AFTER I identified myself as a member of the
                                RDF

Put a complaint in to the Bk OC through your chain of command....

It is a DEFENCE FORCES (PDF and RDF) facility after all.....
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X