Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daysack / webbing / Armour - Are we getting overloaded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How was it handled in the Falklands?

The British had to yomp with their bergens and if they were hit up were the bergens ditched and picked up later or brought forward with a reserve section?
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Some members of the Parachute Regiment might take offence with your implication that they were yomping, Bam Bam

The issue here is NOT moving with CEMO and being hit up - it is with the idea of wearing a daysack with CEFO (which, like the name suggests, is worn when fighting) and dumping the daysack at some point during an attack, versus keeping it on your back for the duration.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
        Some members of the Parachute Regiment might take offence with your implication that they were yomping, Bam Bam

The issue here is NOT moving with CEMO and being hit up - it is with the idea of wearing a daysack with CEFO (which, like the name suggests, is worn when fighting) and dumping the daysack at some point during an attack, versus keeping it on your back for the duration.
        Yomping is a great term and truly describes how we all move with cemo.....with difficulty.

I'm sure they had daysack too, just wondering where their bergens would have gone. Might give an idea where their daysacks could have gone too.
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

It was 1982, the lads were using SLRs, 58 pattern, DMS boots and puttees.......PLCE and daysacks were a long way off.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
            It was 1982, the lads were using SLRs, 58 pattern, DMS boots and puttees.......PLCE and daysacks were a long way off.
            Ah yes, the 58 pattern lunch bag...........
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
              Yomping is a great term and truly describes how we all move with cemo.....with difficulty.

I'm sure they had daysack too, just wondering where their bergens would have gone. Might give an idea where their daysacks could have gone too.
              No actually daysacks didnt find favour till many years later.
              Royal marines yomp.Paras tab.Same thing different vernacular.:wink:
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Yomp is Marine talk while Tab actually stands for tactical advance to battle !
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  Yomp is Marine talk while Tab actually stands for tactical advance to battle !
                  I never fail to learn something new on this board.....
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

from what ive read the 58 pattern school bag was never used by the brits because of its tiny size most used commercial backpacks in the Falklands
                    "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

• Originally posted by greyfox View Post
                      from what ive read the 58 pattern school bag was never used by the brits because of its tiny size most used commercial backpacks in the Falklands
                      Correct.With the Berghaus vulcan being the most popular.This pack was the design basis for the plce bergan but the plce began wasnt up to berghaus quality standards so they wouldnt endorse it.
                      Just a nice to know
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• [ATTACH]2924[/ATTACH]

Comment

• If you have to carry a daysack this is what I take as an acceptable piece

And not the mini Bergans that are being forced upon us!!

Attached Files
                          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Mini bergan?The new issue daysack is only 35 litres.Hardly call that a mini bergan
                            Consider this.Rocket pouches each 10 litres.Total 20 ,unable to carry large sincgars or expand to take bulkier items cos of the zip closure.
                            new daysack 35 litres.!5 litres more space.Can take large radio plus other kit.Still not so big that you can overfill it.
                            In reality you need the extra space(but not too much)guess thats why we have all been buying daysacks for the last few years.

Comment

• Personally I don't see the problem with carrying the daysack all the time - the last time I was out I had 2 wet jackets (making it quite bulky) and a few thousand rounds of 5.56 and 7.62 and I completely forgot I was wearing it most of the time...if the equipment inside was kept to ammo, water and special equipment (and rain jacket if its due to bucket down) then I see no reason for dumping it for the FSG to haul...except of course the 7.62
                              "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

• I have been to Greece for 2 weeks and all i needed was carried in a 35l rucksack.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X