More Trucks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Trucks..

Seen some more new trucks for the army today in the Iveco forecourt, 2 or 3 I think, looked like troop type transports. This part of a larger order anyone know?

Good to see more new equipment coming on stream anyway.

According to that eccelent book by Karl Martin, 20 IVECO Ford M140.18WM.RHD 4x4 TCV lorries were to be delivered before Christmas.

Powered By a Euro 3(ask a truckdriver) IVECO Tector six Cylinder 5.88litre in line turbocharged aftercooled Diesel Developing 180Bhp/134Kw@ 2700rpm(pretty torquey this one).
    Max speed 90km/hr
    Permanent 4x4 drive
    Six speed manual Gearbox and transfer box with .......blah blah etc...
    Its green btw..
    So 20 it is.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Thanks to Gunner Al,here is the New iveco 4x4 in use by the Irish army,seen in McKee barracks.
      Attached Files

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

so whats the difference between these bad boys and the merc's ?? How would you rate these trucks ? The DF should sort out the seating in the back of truck for soldiers. The dutch have a harness type seat (as far as im aware) they could even put in a some kind of cushion to make the journey a little more comfortable. There is also the saftey issue of travelling on a truck with no seatbelt

Comment

In the true spirit of procurement in the DF - they're shite!!IVECO - a poor mans truck by all means & these babies are true to form.I can safely say you'd need a safety harness getting up into or down from these boys!!A bit like a MAN diesel.If they wanted a perfectly good military type?Tcv they should have stuck with the DAF's or went back to the "Billy Bedfords"
          Live long and prosper!

Comment

The DAFs / Laylands 4x4 are no good, did you ever hear a driver trying to find gear! The merc 4x4 were much better, far better truck and full military spec, the laylands bodies were even very poor.
            Why why did we not get more merc's.
            Haven't been in a iveco so I will not comment, but it would be hard to beat the merc

Comment

I heard the Mercs are hated
              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

The DAF's are a good truck,the Merc's being a heap of crap are justifiably hated!!Trust me baby i know!!:D
                Live long and prosper!

Comment

Don't drive army trucks my self, but any driver i spoken with prefers the mercs? and I have often seen drivers grinding the leylands gears and finding it hard to get into gear, they allso don't like theh way the back is wider than the cab?
                  Is there any body on the board who has droven these trucks?

Comment

Yes & the DAF's are i think not a bad truck!!
                    Live long and prosper!

Comment

You would need an oxygen mask climbing into the back of one of the new trucks, one of the funniest things i have seen is a lot of the "vertically challenged" individuals of the fairer sex trying to get a "leg up" to get into the bloody thing! Don't you just love the military!:D

Comment

Spanky....

Catering sized Can of Works + Industrial Tin Opener!!

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

They are the Same Trucks (i.e. Cabin and Engine ) as the D.R.O.P.S. Vehicles Probably have some contract going with Iveco for cheap Trucks!!

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Er..I dont think so...Yes the drops (and the recovery vehicle) is an iveco,but that is where the similarity ends. The DROPS is an 8x8, 20 tonnerand is specifically a military vehicle while those above are clearly 4x4 and 11 tonne. and is available in 4x2 form commercially
                            Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

Any driver I have spoken to has said that they would prefer the Merc to any truck that they have driven before. Ive been riding shotgun many a time in military transports and from my experience I prefer the Merc any day.
                              Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                              http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Working...
                              X