No announcement yet.

More Trucks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal preference so is the call of the day,but i prefer the DAF's.Why should we not buy our kit from our nearest neighbour anyway,it has more than battleproven itself:D
    Live long and prosper!

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
      The DAF's are a good truck,the Merc's being a heap of crap are justifiably hated!!Trust me baby i know!!:D

The DAF's are not a bad truck, well, not that bad, but no way are they a good truck. The old man deisels were the dog's bo**ox, a brilliant truck.The mercs are a great troop transport truck but are a load of shite off road. The new Iveco's aren't too bad off road. Even though they look quite top-heavy they are very stable and are great to drive. We were testing them this week to see if they are suitable as an artillery gun tow but it was decided that they are too high to jump from with the tail board up and for now wont be used for artillery deployment.

Comment

No use in having a TCV if its no good off road!!Can't see a lot of favourable attitudes towards the Iveco either,there's no way i'd jump off the back of it either without busting me balls!!As it is the DAF's are too high to jump from as an Arty prime mover but they are still used anyway,but there you are:D
        Live long and prosper!

Comment

I've been jumping off the dafs in arty deployments for years, never had a problem. If they were buying trucks just for arty, then there are far better trucks out there. The acmats were bought for just that purpose are were the best off-road vechical the army has. I have no idea why they stopped using them for arty (they have padded seats too :D)

Comment

The Acmats aren't an Arty vehicle - they were bought for that purpose but aren't for that.Having said that the Acmats are indeed a fantastic truck for off-road use,but the fact is they aren't utilised enough & as such have gone to shite.Most of them should be in the breakers yard now!I have seen lads who have busted ankles & the like jumping over the tailboard on gun deployments too - not nice or advisable either!!
            Live long and prosper!

Comment

I drove the DAF off road during the rececnt PSO and its good cross country.Nice roomy cab.The gear box is no problem after a while.While I haven't driven the new version of the Merc I drove an1120f in fire tender fit out and have to admit it is probably one of the best machines both on road and off road that I have ever driven.....The bedford 4x4mr was a disaster of atruck...engine wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding.Should have stuck with the MAN troop carrier.what a machine...the only purely military spec truck taht the army ever bought.....a true testament to their is that there are some still in service after nearly 20 years....buy cheap ...buy often.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
                Acmats are indeed a fantastic truck for off-road use,but the fact is they aren't utilised enough & as such have gone to shite.
                For the last 2 weeks the Acmats in McKee are being brought for spins around the barracks and then left for hours with their engines running, dont know what they are up to, but there ya go......

Comment

They are obviuosly being geared up for an upcoming exercise or just to give them a run, cos they sit there for months on end rotting away!!
                  Live long and prosper!

Comment

Well still, it's good to see them being used at all........ what a truck....

Comment

Right DAF's are shite, mercs are a wanna be truck as for IVECO, poor and utter shite, (talking of civie type trucks here). I reckon they should have gone for scania's as they are a far better built truck.
                      Click Here

Comment

the old man diesels anyone? my dad drove them in such wonderful spots as Lebanon and Glen of Imaal (sp) and almost killed the army band when he had to use the dead mans break with them in the back on the quays (their bus broke down) after nearly running up the rear of some idiot civvie driver...

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Man Diesels were the dogs bo**ox, a brilliant truck. They were the ultimate off roader for the size of them!!

Comment

I think my da would agree with you there...he had a bit of a hobby of pinning in people in what would otherwise be "large cars" or flashy sports cars when driving out on the motorways and main roads, and I think the power of te danm things got to him as he still drives like he's in one even when driving a rover 600...

Comment

The MAN 4x4 was probably one of the best trucks ever owned by the defence forces. I think the 1984 models are still on the road,having at least 20 coats of paint including white during their service. The only complaint was that they didnt get enough of them!
                              However, while offroad they are sure footed as a mountain goat,they do not handle roads well,especially when the surface is wet. Other than that...even compared to a Commercial vehicle,they have a good record. Most similar civilian vehicles of the same vintageare converted to yard shunters or are being stripped for parts
                              It will be interesting to see where the Daf and mercs are in 20 years time.
                              Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

Man Diesels

only new to the web site but i think its Fair to say that the MAN Diesels were the best thing that the defence forces bought as in troop carrying terms!!!!!! A mate of mine down in limerick says that they have NEW MAN Diesels....can this be true???? i hope so........and if so....bring them up to McKee! in 2nd place is of course the Acmat....rusting away as u say....but the best Artillery transporter there ever was.....its off-road capability was supposed to be outstanding....never got stuck i heard. Still being driven by some drivers even outside the barracks...i think there main problem is that they done have power steering...so they are a curse to drive! the Merc's are tooooooo comfy......crap off road.....cant pull artillery....they are ment for the roads and that is about it!!!!! The DAF's are great for everything.....NOT too high to jump of when doing gun deployments may i add........and they are great off-road...comfy in the cab...as for in the back...well its a troop transporter going off road...its not an airplane!!!! the new Iveco's look as high as the MAN Diesels...look cool.....and as you've already said...they aint good for Artillery but i hope this isnt so........as for the Scania's that somebody wanted them to buy....well i haven much to say but NO! As u are all aware...all of our recent trucks are specifically made for the defence forces.........(with the exception of the Merc and Iveco looking like a comercial truck) this Pic will show u how much of a Scania it really is...with 6 seats in the cab..(comfy or wat...must be for the NCO's)...yep thats right...and a troop carrier in the back....oh and its painted green aswell....so i dont think its a good choice. Fingers crossed for the NEW MAN Diesels so......
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X