No announcement yet.

More Trucks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The paint jobs were badly needed - the paint had faded to such a degree that they
    were in danger of being mistaken for vehicles to Afghanistan
    !

I saw one at the assessments in the Glen a couple of years back and thought it was grey in colour until I went up close.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by luchi View Post
      But we have also found that we will be using our 93 man 4x2s. Ok nothing unusual about that until you hear that they are undergoing a major over haul and refit.
      Haven't seen a 4x2 in a LONG time are they fitted with ROPS?

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      Looking at the ROPS in the back of a Scania 6x6 over the weekend, the ROPS did not cover the full floor, and there was free space to the front. About 4-6M. Is this normal?
      Some of the ROPS units carry more than others

Originally posted by luchi View Post
      Also the arty DAFs will have less capacity and so there will be space in the rear for the arty gear.
      This came up on a course, the TCVs will not tour an arty piece/carry gun crew / carry arty accessories at the same time!

Comment

But we have also found that we will be using our 93 man 4x2s
        The letter sent out when the ROPS equipped trucks were sent back to the units, stated that under no circumstances were troops to be carried in the back of trucks without the ROPS system. I'll try and track down a copy for you
        CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Define normal??

According to 2LSB there are supposed to be other ROPS for the 6x6 that will increase capacity.
          Also the arty DAFs will have less capacity and so there will be space in the rear for the arty gear.
          The fitting course for the ROPSS details the fitting of an 8 seater and a 6 seater module to the Scania, the same as is fitted to the DAF. There is room for another module, but the Rails fitted under the chassis, that the bolts go into, do not have the capacity for another, at least not on the one we used. But this could, and in my opinion should, be changed

Artillery Dafs are not fitted with less seats, even though this would suit their role. The only equipment allowed to be carried in the back with the troops is their personal weapons and ordnance but an Artillery piece can be towed
          Last edited by REX; 15 September 2010, 20:54.
          CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• Originally posted by REX View Post
            The letter sent out when the ROPS equipped trucks were sent back to the units, stated that under no circumstances were troops to be carried in the back of trucks without the ROPS system. I'll try and track down a copy for you
            sorry I wasn't clear.
            The 4x2s are for equipment such as will be required at HQ. Non ROPS equipped vehicles may also be used if available.

Originally posted by REX View Post
            The fitting course for the ROPSS details the fitting of an 8 seater and a 6 seater module to the Scania, the same as is fitted to the DAF. There is room for another module, but the Rails fitted under the chassis, that the bolts go into, do not have the capacity for another, at least not on the one we used. But this could, and in my opinion should, be changed
            8 and 6? If thats X2 it would make them 28 seater??
            or did you mean 16 and 6 making it a 22 seater.

Artillery Dafs are not fitted with less seats, even though this would suit their role. The only equipment allowed to be carried in the back with the troops is their personal weapons and ordnance but an Artillery piece can be towed
            All I know is what I have seen. There are 2 DAFs with 6 seat ROPS in them and so the assumption was made.
            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• New MAN Recovery Vehicle

Transport Corps Ex 2010 by dfmagazine.ie, on Flickr

Nice!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Transport Corps Ex 2010 by dfmagazine.ie, on Flickr

Comment

• great bits of kit - we have them too (over 285 in total) and i've seen them put through their paces on our cross country driving range.

outstanding.
                  Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 14 October 2010, 19:35.
                  RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• ah now here is the questions

Is it a recovery truck or a container loader?
                    It's a new truck but is it complete new kit or has the booms just been transfered from the Iveco recovery?

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

• here is the answer - it's a dedicated recovery version built by MAN with a crane that will lift 15 tonnes at a distance of 2.3 metres.

on ours, the recovery mission equipment includes cranes and winches, designed by ECA based in Gerrads Cross, London. it's manufactured and bolted to the main chassis by Atlas Terex, based in Motherwell, Scotland.

so we haven't transferred our booms from any truck either but our trucks are actually made by MAN Truck & Bus UK Ltd, i don't know if we make those trucks (and their recovery gear) headed for the Irish DF or not.
                      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 17 October 2010, 19:28.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

ah now here is the questions

Is it a recovery truck or a container loader?
                        It's a new truck but is it complete new kit or has the booms just been transfered from the Iveco recovery?
                        It's definitely all brand new, I saw it last week in the curragh and very impressive it is too!
                        Another one is due in the next couple of months
                        CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                          i don't know if we make those trucks (and their recovery gear) headed for the Irish DF or not.
                          more likely. AFIK MAN don't do any body work in Ireland any more.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

• Yeah, Atlas Terex would be established cranebuilders, supplying here too. None of the Recovery vehicles were irish builds, though the Holmes Wrecker did travel from a Bedford to a Leyland.

Comment

• you know your cranes Goldie, i'll give ya that.
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X