No announcement yet.

More Trucks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does raise some questions why we have many types of vehicle. See sample list below.

1. Staff Cars, mainly supplied by Ford, ie. Mondeo, Galaxy, but also Renault Espace, Toyots Camry, Opel Vectra,

2. Nissan Patrol, FFR & GS variants models from 95 to 04

3. MiniBus, newer models Ford Transit however LDV Convoy (uhh) Renault Master also inuse

4. TCV 4x2, Man 4x2

5. TCV 4x4, Man Diesel, Iveco, Merc, DAF. Newest acquisitons being the IVECO 4x4

6. DROPS, IVECO ASTRA and SCANIA 8x8 on order

7. ARTIC. DAF/Renault maybe more

It seems to me that contracts for vehicles are not placed by the Defence Forces but by the government on behalf of it's deparments I have noticed that some of the Ford Mondeo staff cars attached to DFHQ transport platoon registeration numbers runn consecitivley with Garda Patrol cars this indicates to me batch buying for the Department of Defence & Department of Justice.

Comment

FMolloy, in short YES, i've studied vehicle procurement in college and if any business procured vehicle of such a diverse nature they wouldn't survive very long.

The DOD seem to be procuring everything with short leadtimes at the minute, this is proberly to meet urgent requirements for overseas, but there isn't really any need for this.

Althought I'm sure they are all up to the job (compared to green paint civilian spec vehicles).

It must be costing them millions! Thats the bottom line!

Comment

Parts supply and maintenance must be a joy too.

Comment

Would I be right in thinking that the Scania does not have the same rough terrain capability as the Iveco Drops?

Comment

By the looks of it the iveco might be more capable off road but the scania would be a much better truck than any iveco!

Comment

During a quick browse through Karl Martin's book, I found this is the current situation in the DF vehicle fleet.

Nissan Patrol - 3 different versions
              260 Series RD28 (purchased 1989 - c1995)
              GR TD-6 (purchased in 2000)
              GR 3.0 Di (purchased from 2001)

ACMAT VLRA TPK420 SM3 4x4 TCV (16 purchased 1983-1993) 2.5 ton payload

MAN 8:150 GS 4x2 (62 of various bodies purchased 1989-1996) 3.5 ton payload

MAN 14.240FAEG 4x4 TCV (36 purchased 1979-1989) 5 ton payload

Leyland DAF 4x4 TCV (55 purchased 1993-1998) 4 ton payload

Mercedes-Benz 117A (60 purchased 2000-2003) 4 ton payload

Iveco/Ford M140.18WM.RHD (20 purchased 2002) 5.5 ton payload

Iveco/Astra M320.42W BAD 8x8 DROPS (21 purchased 1997-2001)

Plus any new additions = Logistics Nightmare

Comment

It must be costing them millions! Thats the bottom line!
                Another disgrace by the DF :(

Comment

The diversity of vehicles involved does mean that the Dept is not beholden to any particular contractor or supplier. Shopping around serves to keep prices down, after all. Same thing applies for parts.

Comment

Take the example of MAN FAEG, Leyland DAF, Iveco/Ford & Mercedes, they are all around the same class. Thats 4 different makes & models. Two of them purchased within 2 years of each other.

4 different sets of spares to hold & administer
                    4 different vehicles to train drivers & mechanics on
                    4 different contracts to organise & administer
                    Last edited by DeV; 26 July 2004, 15:24.

Comment

Procurement is done through DOD .

Look at etenders.irlgov.ie and check back through the history and you will see what I mean.

Procurement rules are very strict.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Its easily done, forecast your vehicle requirements over at least a 5-10 year period. Then put out a tender for that amount, that they are to be delivered in batchs over that period with options for others if required.

If the DOD requires APCs in the future they have options left on just 15 vehicles. If they require any more than that we may end up with 2+ type of APCs. It problem is snowballing.

Comment

Anybody see the tender for new jeeps??

Abstract: Title attributed to the contract by the contracting authority: Supply of
                          4x4 Jeep Type Vehicles, Fitted for Radio, For Military Use.
                          CPV: 34144600, 34113100.
                          Mil vehicles.
                          Contract jeeps.
                          60 to 100 jeep type. Fitted for radio vehicles.
                          Estimated value 3 000 000 EUR to 5 000 000 EUR.
                          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

well i hope at least the army manages to paint the new trucks the right color (i.e the same drab color the new transits, etc are ) !

They will have to get more APCs after the 15 left. Are they going to get the Mowag IV ?

old

new

Last edited by andy; 24 July 2004, 04:10.

Comment

Nowt wrong with scanias. Not all DROPS require the all terrain ability of the Iveco Astra.
                              Remember also that Scania provide trucks to most of the commercial operators in the country. Parts procurment will not be an issue,given the Procurment methods.(any drivers will know the score.)
                              The british army have Used foden for years,for DROPS.
                              I dont see any problem with scania.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Does anyone know if the Volvo (Timoney) HMT 8x8 was considered?

IAS

Comment

Working...
                                X