No announcement yet.

Use of Combat Vests in RDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are on Sunday you rest off Monday that's it. There are no days in lieu for weekend duties anymore
    How times change..so you have to work for a living now?
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
      Why should we take on weekend duties when the PDF are far better paid and accomadated with days off because of these duties.Why should I as a Sgt be only allowed to do the duty of a corporal..nope don't do it..on a camp I can do duties in line with my rank..but not in a manned post.

If an RDf officer can do duties in line with his so why can't a senior NCO?

So in response the PDF can do their own duties I don't want to.
      Well said.
      All it will take for the powers that be is for ALL nco ranks to insist that they do duties as befits thier rank. If they are not allowed, then every nco should say they are not available.
      A rather quick change of heart would ensue.

I won't mention any places but I do know that RDF cpls do guard cmdr in at least 1 PDF bks.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        How times change..so you have to work for a living now?
        Don't mention the W word.

I'm surprised you didn't know this. It has been the situation for at least 15 years.

A sergeant is a Junior NCO by the way. I've done Guard Commander as a Sgt too incidentally. Sometimes it's necessary to get the job done.
        Last edited by Groundhog; 20 September 2007, 20:59.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

To get the subject slightly back on track,

Now that they've been on sale for a while, could I get peoples views on battle vests, as Im thinkin of buying one.

In particular, whats the one like thats sold in a particular shop in a particular military camp area??

Thanks again.
          Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

I have heard that they are of good quality. Distribute the weight better as well as allowing you to carry more. The pouches are better than the old style kidney pouches that were made a while back, as in they close better. If you are goin to get one I would advise you to ring up and ask for one with spanish clips to be made instead of the buckles.
            Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

Top class bit of kit, I bought a WebTex Vest and never looked back (I've always wondered why people slate webtex I've had nothing but good experiences). Allows you to be far more mobile/agile and you can carry the same amount of kit. In fact theres a greater capacity for carrying mags. The Zipped compartment on either side are dead handy for things like NATO T instead of lashing them down your smock. Jst slip em into the vest.
              "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

some of the webtex stuff seems of ,some seems designed for the air - soft market ,,, i was looking at an og vest in the glen which seemed more suited to ultimate force yet it had fairly limited space for ammo except for smoke grenades , it also had a back which severely limited ventilation and a padded collar .
                others i ve seen have some kind of a rocket pouch attached to the back which could only get in the way of a day sack or bergan.
                many moons ago i brought a chest rig after looking at the assault vests i am happy to remain with it ,,
                "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Ive heard nothing but bad things about the webtex stuff but then theres always gonna be some good pieces from them too.

A lad I know bought one of their vests and had most of the clips break 10 minutes into an exercise.

I didnt know one had to ring up and order the vests off protac though.
                  Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

Suppose I've been one of the lucky ones then! The one thing to say against Vests, is you have to be carefull with your load out. As if you have your full load of mags on one side and fcuk all on the other it can disturb the balance and how it sits.

Apparently they took this into A/C when getting the Issue Vest and it has Ammo pouches on both sides to distribute the weight (clever thinking by the DF for once!!!)
                    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Your wearing of it will also depend on your Officers attitude to wearing non-issue / Non-DF equipment and clothing out on Ex
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Luckily my unit has a policy of "wear what you want on the ground as long as your comfortable".

Comment

I'm gonna roll with my own 4X4, a barbeque, hammock, and sombrero. Oh, and floodlights for when it gets dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                            I'm gonna roll with my own 4X4, a barbeque, hammock, and sombrero. Oh, and floodlights for when it gets dark.
                            Been doing that myself since I bought the jeep. The only way to travel I assure you.

However finding purple and grey foliage to hide behind isnt always easy.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

What a pity you's arent in my unit then......................

But back to the topic, whats the brits issue battle vests like compared to the other stuff?

Comment

The british issue vests are by and large good .The issue one is made by the same crowd who makes the plce.Cribs from the frontlines are that the standard vest couldnt accomadate sa-80 a2 magazines and was bulky to wear with Osprey body armour.Also the pouches were permanently fixed to the vest so you couldnt chop and change pouches according to roll/mission/appointment.
                                They have since started issuing a molle type modular vest to the lads on Operation herrick/telic.Only problem for your use is that the modular ones is only available in british desert dpm .
                                I hate to say it but if you are thinking about buying a vest than protac stuff is good.It's irish dpm,IRR material and does the job.The ones he makes nowadays are semi modular like the ones he made for the wing in 2003,and which is the design basis(which curtis isnt happy about)for the soon to be general issue vest.I got ones for overseas a few years back and i have used it on all exercises since.P.m me if you want more info.:wink:

p.s :despite duffmans testimonials stay away from all things webtex.I know lads who bought them for overseas and they though they were great cos they were cheap.The stitching gave way on some of them and they had to go back to the issue overseas chest rig(which was crap).Also they light up like a christmas tree under infra red light as they aren't infra red resistant.Go to arrrse and look up the qm thread to see the "glowing " testimonials from our anglo cousins about webtex.
                                They maybe ok for use once or twice a year in Kilworth/glen but not with any serious weight in em.
                                Anyway bottom line is you get what you pay for or as the britsh lads say.
                                "Buy webtex,buy twice"
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X