Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Living with the USP (Split from Pistol Poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just found it awkward.

In saying that I wasn't getting trained on the pistol only got my hands on it.

So there is probably a "proper" way to do it.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• In case you lot haven't noticed the magazine release is ambidextrous.Think outside the box.Instead of doing what i and some other people have to do the operate the mag release with the thumb,which is shifting the pistol in the hand,just use the tip of your index finger instead.Alot handier and you can keep the pistol"on target" easier.Speed up your i.a drills.
      Try it next time,you will see what i mean.:wink:
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
        In case you lot haven't noticed the magazine release is ambidextrous.Think outside the box.Instead of doing what i and some other people have to do the operate the mag release with the thumb,which is shifting the pistol in the hand,just use the tip of your index finger instead.Alot handier and you can keep the pistol"on target" easier.Speed up your i.a drills.
        Try it next time,you will see what i mean.:wink:

As a Person with short fingers(I could never "finger" the bap), Using the index finger was the obvious choice for me, when I first got my hands on the USP. I never considered using the thumb until you mentioned it there.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
          Finally fired this weekend. Nice weapon.
          So I take it ye got safety goggles then....
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            So I take it ye got safety goggles then....
            That requirement is no longer in force(if it ever was?) as the minimum range you fire at is no longer 5 metres.I think they realised that while it would work for the pdf ,who would be issued goggles it wouldnt work for the rdf who wont be.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Just need a quick cadre fibs confirmation; The USP manual exists in soft copy form yes?
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Yes.You need it??

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                  Yes.You need it??
                  Yeah trying to get TOET'd at the wkend, would be nice to know more than the examiner. Cadre doing a brick wall impression on it, we have no hard copy in our little library in the stores. When in a grown up barracks these things are easy to get but out in the sticks it's impossible!
                  Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• PM me

Comment

• I managed to get my hands on a USP recently. I am unsure of the exact model but it could be fired single or double action . To be honest it was fine to shoot.
                      The recent discussiosn regarding hand cocking hammers and decocking by squeesing the trigger while lowering the hammer raises for me issues of knowledge and competence of thsoe using the weapon.
                      I have neve been happy about carrying a single action such as a HP , a 1911, or a Tokarev cocked and locked inspite of the many people who have carried in same condition for xxx years and never had an ND.
                      I am comfortable carryng a DA weapon such as a CZ 75, A walter PPK, A Makarov but am more cautious in regard to type of holster and more cautious as to what I do when carrying it.
                      I have fired a glock even had a similar Colt, cannot remember the name of it , good for firing but but to be honest am not comfortable with the trigger only safety, just noy used to it.
                      As my own PD I have for 80% of the time carried a snub nosed SW Mod 36 , No suitable for militray applications
                      Anyway firing handguns in single action may be good for the range targey shooting but in 99.9% of occasiosn when u have to use a pistol you will use it in DA mode , so forget about cocking hammers by hand and use the decocking lever to decock..

Comment

• At the Reserve shooting competitions there is a striking non tactical-practical-ness to most of the shooters, as a rule they're overweight and wearing their pistols in bizzare places that facilitate the quickest drawing of the pistol but are completely impractical (including one or two over their wedding tackle) and a few tried with the new (PDF) table this year to put their (extra) magazine inside their rank slider before being told to put it in a pocket on the timed mag change practices.

It seems to perfectly exemplify the detachment from reality that Bandit describes.
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                          A few tried with the new (PDF) table this year to put their (extra) magazine inside their rank slider before being told to put it in a pocket on the timed mag change practices.
                          Because your pocket is the correct place for your spare magazines.
                          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
                            Because your pocket is the correct place for your spare magazines.
                            Well for some reason I was the only one there with two magazine pouches
                            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• At the Reserve shooting competitions there is a striking non tactical-practical-ness to most of the shooters

Its a bit like rifle shooting, same old faces turn for the honour of the unit and usually do sfa for the remainder of the year.

Had the pleasure of training for a pistol comp with the all army champion RDF and it was indeed an enlightening experience when you get to shoot with some one who is will to sahre his expertise and make you at ease.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• If they followed the PDF pistol table then they should have been wearing CBA,helmet and FULL CEFO.The two spare magazines on that practice ONLY go in a closed ammo POUCH.No exceptions.

Comment

Working...
                                X