No announcement yet.

Best Military Timepiece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got a quality G Shock of Ebay The G9000MC Mudman. Absolutely fits the bill for use as a military watch (you can even get the completely unnecessary cammo version to be extra gooch).

I got mine for under €50 after shopping around, so you cant go wrong!

"Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

The Maxim with watches is that after €150 - €200 you aren't going to get anything really superior for your money until you hit €1500.

Needless to say not many of use need €1500 diving (for eg.) watches.

G-shock is still widely available and includes models with luminous analogue faces to save that embarrasing 50m backlight flash.
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I have a Suunto, 'tis a fine watch.

Comment

If you want to compare military type watches, this site has a lot though I'm sure that there are plenty more.
          http://www.tacwatch.com

I bought a fairly simple Luminox one from them 2 years ago. It doesn't do any songs or dances but its easy to read day and night without pressing any buttons. Its very light, waterproof to 200m and after 2 years of abuse, the glass is still virtually scratch free.
          There's nothing very military about it, its just tough.
          Also, I definately recommend a velcro strap over a plastic one.

If you want a compass on your watch, get a Silva watch strap compass instead of shelling out for brick for your arm. You won't need to read a manual to activate it when you really need it, it won't suck your battery dry and it will keep working even if your watch gets broken somehow. As for a barometer, if you are an avid mountaineer or paraglider pilot, then fair enough but otherwise, you won't ever use it. GPS watches are handy if you're into orienteering/ mountain-biking ect where you would like to download your track at the end of the day. They are heavy on juice though and if you're on the ground you won't be able to recharge so a small gps such as an etrex that runs on army standard AAs is probably a bit more practical.

If however, you want a large heavy brick not so much to tell the time but more to make your mates go ooh and aah, then disregard this post.
          Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

G shock still rolling on 2nd battery after 7 years, face is spotless.

No better watch out there that just keeps on going.

Did Casio stop making them or something ?
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

some good deals on g shock s on amazon .uk at moment .
              "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Sorry to re awaken this thread but to provide some advice that may be of use to others I shall proceed. I looked at this thread a few months ago whilst I was looking for a decent watch to use in the field and in my job. I ended up going with a Timex expedtion, available from argos for 54 quid here --http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...EXPEDITION.htm

It was pretty cheap, has a ten year battery and 100m water resistence both handy, but the glow in the dark hands and markers coupled with an indiglo nite light feature makes this watch great in the field, the high contrast face is good too and shock resistant thing is cool too I guess, the specs list is full of good military friendly stuff. For anyone looking for a watch for similar uses and unwilling to buy an expensive unbreakable Gshock which can still suffer a freak accident or get lost. I'd recommend it
                Last edited by CS Gass; 9 February 2010, 00:46. Reason: fix link

Comment

They're a good looking watch...would def get one if I didn't have an expensive unbreakable Gshock (and insurance) :D
                  "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

can't believe you haven't gone for the "G10 for Men"! lol

this is our standard issue watch here in the British Army:

nothing special, hard wearing and bright as fcuk in the dark - makes your hand fall off after 22years service.
                    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 9 February 2010, 02:16.
                    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Dirty perverts- its not the watch that makes your hand fall off

its all the self love you guys engage in-
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                        Dirty perverts- its not the watch that makes your hand fall off

its all the self love you guys engage in-
                        that's why it's rated better than a G-Shock, to survive the constant pounding action sustained by hours on stag in sangars all over the world!
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

We wouldnt be that much into self lurve

according to valerie we all have our own female soldiers and for those who cant liase

we have brothels we are never out of.

All classy Irish Soldiers wear Philippe Patok
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                            that's why it's rated better than a G-Shock, to survive the constant pounding action sustained by hours on stag in sangars all over the world!
                            How did you make the leap from self love to man love? Freudian slip perhaps

Comment

i find an alarm a extremely handy addition to any watch for the field that's why i moved away from the analogue watch.

don't mock self love its a beautiful experience
                              "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Originally posted by greyfox View Post
                                i find an alarm a extremely handy addition to any watch for the field that's why i moved away from the analogue watch.

don't mock self love its a beautiful experience
                                that must be one of those Gucci 'ambush watches' - the type a lad in training with me had, and when it went off in the ambush the Corporal made him undo his watch and put it on his helmet (which was on his head) and then butt stroked him so the 'ambush watch' never compromised a killer group again

you can shove your alarm where the sun don't shine (add extra man love if necessary)
                                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X