Best Military Timepiece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Actually that is not issue as it is made by MWC as opposed to CWC (Cabot Watch Company - owned by Silvermans I believe). MWC have caused quite a bit of controversy by claiming that their product is widely issued and in fact they have struggled to justify this other than suggesting a few police tactical firearms units. The other principal G10 watch is by Pulsar and has a phenomenal reputation for falling apart - its' other claim to fame is that Harry wore one during his holliers in the 'stan.

Now onto the main reason for my post. Do I take it that there is no such thing as an issue watch in either the PDF or the Aer Corps. I am a keen follower and collector of military timepieces and the key definition is typically that a watch is issued (and hopefully marked as such) rather than being a private purchase item. I realise that these are not likely to be on a wide distribution (and in the case of my military service were never seen outside stores unless you were a mate of the RQMS) but I'd be surprised if nothing was on the books - or am I going to be disappointed?
    hi carlton, you obviously know what you are talking about when it comes to watches!

it obviously deliberately looks like a 'G10 for Men' and i don't have one to compare it against so that's why i stuck it in there, just for illustration purposes - apologies if it's not an exact British Army issue watch but at least people will know what i am referring to.

you would be surprised how many soldiers like to wear the G10 - especially in the field, but it's also worn on a daily basis by many lads.

it's not my cup of tea, i wear a G-Shock instead but they were compulsory for everyone on our NCO's courses and i've not seen many issues with them.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Any idea why they're so popular RGJ? they dont look madly sturdy

Comment

Thanks both for the responses. I can understand the personal desire to source a Gucci piece of kit but this illness (google Watch Idiot Savant for further info) is not always about quality but more about provenance with extra points to be scored for things like rarity and condition. I was a bit of a kit monster myself particularly with clothing and webbing and totally understand where you are coming from.

I realise that, if there is an Irish issued timepiece(s), it won't necessarily be better or as feature rich as a G-Shock or a Suunto but as we all know the military supply structure thinks and works differently. It may also be the case that the requirement may be re-emerging as the younger generation increasingly relies on the mobile phone and, luckily, I left before the Nokia ring tune had a proper chance to feck up any ambush I was a part of (exercise only I hasten to add - it was a lot quieter back then). If anybody has more information please keep it coming.

In case you're interested I spent most of my service career running around with a Swatch classic. This wasn't my finest hour, horologically speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
          Any idea why they're so popular RGJ? they dont look madly sturdy
          If they smash it they can get another one for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
            If they smash it they can get another one for free.
            too right!

also - the straps are massive and are normally doubled back on them selves however they can be undone to allow the watch to be fitted over CBRN protective clothing etc.

you can also 'freeze' the second hand - to allow for precise time synchronisation when given by the Gunners.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
              In case you're interested I spent most of my service career running around with a Swatch classic. This wasn't my finest hour, horologically speaking.
              Great finish to that post
              "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Mine is a Casio G-Shock AW-101, atomic clock, solar powered - robust and easily readable (face isn't cluttered with loads of little displays), without being hee-uge, or very expensive. Granted, the most 'tactical' thing it has to endure is cycling, running or the odd bit of recreational tractor driving (and the odd bit of hillwalking I spose), but it is very robust and functional.

Comment

G shocks definitely seem the watch of choice on here, am I the onlyone who doesnt like a watch thats too full of features? and anything with an alarm seems retarded to me!

I think a simple, robust analogue watch for field use and a heart rate monitor with a stopwatch and all the expected features for fitness training makes the most amount of sense to me

Is an all in one package not a case of jack of all trades master of none?

Comment

I have a Suunto Core for work and a Garmin for training.

Comment

I'd love a Sunnto, I've been tempted before but every time I've had the money for one it no longer seems worth it so i blow the cash on something dumb

Comment

I'd love a Sunnto, I've been tempted before but every time I've had the money for one it no longer seems worth it so i blow the cash on something dumb
                        Get one.

Smashing bit of kit.

Comment

we even have our own 'Rifles' Traser H3 Black Storm Pro Watch now!

www - Rifles Black Storm Watch
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                            we even have our own 'Rifles' Traser H3 Black Storm Pro Watch now!

www - Rifles Black Storm Watch
                            Your next birthday pressie? Is it just the capbadge you think they'd give it a rifles wristband or something

Comment

Your next birthday pressie? Is it just the capbadge you think they'd give it a rifles wristband or something
                              i'll probably get it as a leaving present from the Mess or something.

the strap is available but doesn't quite meet the ruggedness of the watch!

RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Do many of your lads have them watches or would owning one make you the butt of a lot of jokes? that pattern would make a lovely wooly geansie you should get some made RGJ

Comment

Working...
                                X