No announcement yet.

Best Military Timepiece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no CS - i dunno what the letters mean but they all look the same and they do not come with individual markings.

they are normally issued to NCO's but anyone can sign for one as there are plenty to go around.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Why dont your lads have their own watches-

luckily we are payed so well that we can afford our own watches- cars and houses-

Is it true Mickey Mouse wears a royal green jacket watch-

See I am getting in on the act
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Hedge
        Once again youre correct , each cap badge has its own disney character for its g10 watches, as sappers we are allocated donald duck , i never tire of seeing his luminous sailor uniform and hat
        Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

dman you knocker for not taking the bait

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            Why dont your lads have their own watches-

luckily we are payed so well that we can afford our own watches- cars and houses-

Is it true Mickey Mouse wears a royal green jacket watch-

See I am getting in on the act
            lol - your watch may be on your wrist Hedge but your finger is not on the pulse!

we already discussed how the days of the Irish DF being much better paid than us are long gone (except when you guys are on Footballers pay for serving overseas!).

i've seen a few Mickey Mouse watches knocking around battalion - if that means anything?!
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Speaking of inappropriately coloured watches, I know someone (a member of IMO) who wears this watch while in uniform

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                Speaking of inappropriately coloured watches, I know someone (a member of IMO) who wears this watch while in uniform

I can verify I have seen Trellheim wearing this on parade

Comment

knocker - you getting the 'Big Brief' tomorrow?
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                    knocker - you getting the 'Big Brief' tomorrow?
                    What has this got to do with watchs?

Why are you turning every thread on this forum into a shit brit union flag waving thread that will just force the Mods to stick a big shiny sliver padlock on it?

Comment

soz - meant to PM knocker or go to the other thread but kept losing my connectivity - apologies.

i think stick to G-Shocks and you are fine, i normally get about 3 years out of each of mine and bin them when the battery dies.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

I just realised that I've had my G Shock since 2004 or 2005 (never had the battery changed), and it's still going (despite some disfigurement from an encounter with strong insect repellent). It's starting to get a bit tatty though, so I might get a new watch for my birthday - any suggestions?

Comment

I just realised that I've had my G Shock since 2004 or 2005 (never had the battery changed), and it's still going (despite some disfigurement from an encounter with strong insect repellent). It's starting to get a bit tatty though, so I might get a new watch for my birthday - any suggestions?
                          Stay with G-shock..Mudman or the Riseman..

Comment

If its your birthday get a Rolex Submariner....

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              can't believe you haven't gone for the "G10 for Men"! lol
                              Actually that is not issue as it is made by MWC as opposed to CWC (Cabot Watch Company - owned by Silvermans I believe). MWC have caused quite a bit of controversy by claiming that their product is widely issued and in fact they have struggled to justify this other than suggesting a few police tactical firearms units. The other principal G10 watch is by Pulsar and has a phenomenal reputation for falling apart - its' other claim to fame is that Harry wore one during his holliers in the 'stan.

Now onto the main reason for my post. Do I take it that there is no such thing as an issue watch in either the PDF or the Aer Corps. I am a keen follower and collector of military timepieces and the key definition is typically that a watch is issued (and hopefully marked as such) rather than being a private purchase item. I realise that these are not likely to be on a wide distribution (and in the case of my military service were never seen outside stores unless you were a mate of the RQMS) but I'd be surprised if nothing was on the books - or am I going to be disappointed?

Comment

from whats been said above i think yes you will be disappointed. The general wisdom is probably if a watch was issued it would in all likelihood be sh1t, whereas if the men go out and buy a suitable watch they can have an ideal 'military timepiece' without handing over a weeks wages. my own watch as an example would seem to have all the features of the above watch plus others and cost me less that 60 quid? so I ask again why bother issuing one?

Comment

Working...
                                X