Remembering L/Seaman Michael Quinn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering L/Seaman Michael Quinn

Michael died on active duty in January 1990.

Michael was a ture Service Man and loved his time in the Navy, I am honered to have known him.

Alan

Originally posted by AlanF View Post

Michael was a ture Service Man and loved his time in the Navy, I am honered to have known him.

Alan
    the naval association in Dublin have named their assosiation after his name
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by AlanF View Post

Alan
      Alan
      I am ashamed that I know nothing about this comrade

what happened to him
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

http://homepage.eircom.net/~navalass5/ourhistory.htm

24th March 1992
        At a meeting held at the Stella Maris Seafarers Club, in Dublin. Interest was again rekindled. At this meeting an Executive Council was elected and the first branch of the Naval Association was formed and subsequently called the Leading Seaman Michael Quinn Branch after L/S Quinn who gave his young life in an attempt to rescue stranded Spanish Sailors form their stricken trawler off Bantry. See .L.E. Deirdre

Comment

all supplied above -

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
            all supplied above -
            where is paul kellett now..

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
              where is paul kellett now..
              very much active - dublin

Comment

Last seen in uniform with 2 cav

The night in question is very ironic to me as I was the Duty Ops at Waterford Airport and was co ordinating the response for a cargo vessel that hand run aground in Tramore ..the vessel was the 'Gladonia'

It was only about two years after MicK Quins death on speaking with John Carney did I know how ironic Micks death would be and that some time later I realise that the man he was reliveing on board the Deirdre that night was also to lose his life.

Its amazing the links between people in the services or is it just me?

The one mentioned above...and also as some of the naval guys have pointed out into other deaths..I was also linked to another AC death through my naval days...long story but strange.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Both individuals got DSMs for their parts in that incident, if I remember correctly?
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Correct and Mick Qiunn was also awarded the Spanish equivalent posthumously
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

That was one horrible day. The two lads volunteered to go out in the boats, Goulding the skipper said it was their choice that he wasn't gonna order them to go. Only if they thought they could handle it.

Comment

Funy thing or ironic..while I was finished wit the NS I was dealing with another grounding the same night.. and listening to Shannon MRCC dealing with this on the same night.

The M.V Gladonia Beached in Tramore the same night..I was the Duty OPs on duty the same night and was co ordinating the SAR that went with that while listening to to what was going on in Castle town.

The place was more vivid in my memory than some will ever know and when i came off shift and the next day learned that a former collegue had lost his life under circumstances some of us had operated under....really don't think osme of those who had done the job ever recovered from that.

When I learned later that it was fluke that Mick had even been there ...the man who should have been there never really got over that even up to his own death..the tradgedy was greater beyond belief..All those who were involved on the night were touched and deserve sympathy even now.

Comment

I remember the night Mick died quite well...I was the SBA on Deirdre that night, and it was a night which will live forever in the memory of those who were there. A very emotional time for all concerned. What was worse was the petty minded attitude of a certain "commisioned gentleman" in the days afterward. The Goulds was the business that night...he was an example of the NS at it's very best. Whereas some of the other "gentlemen" seemed to be more concerned with making sure they didnt get in trouble. I kept the log of the whole incident and was up all night, and was grilled more than once in the following days about the record keeping!

A sad day for the service...

Comment

PS...last I heard, Paul Kellett had left the PDF and was now working as a Prison Officer

Comment

The best of Luck To Paul as it was avery traumatic event.

The whole incident was tragic and Mick Quinn again would be remember as one of the charachters of the NS.

R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                              X