No announcement yet.

Eithne 1985 some memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Slag of a guy for a tank top.. I had one once upon at time until it fell victim to the boil wash in the laundry.

Yeah as for the silver suit..could have saved yourself a few bob and borrowed one of the flightdeck firefighters suits.

Two pictures o 'Fla' in the one day..stop! the related flashbacks are unbelievable..should have insisted on more than the twenty quid he geve me to take her out!
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 10 April 2009, 20:39.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
      Can't Slag of a guy for a tank top.. I had one once upon at time until it fell victim to the boil wash in the laundry.

Yeah as for the silver suit..could have saved yourself a few bob and borrowed one of the flightdeck firefighters suits.

Two pictures o 'Fla' in the one day..stop! the related flashbacks are unbelievable..should have insisted on more than the twenty quid he geve me to take her out!
      To put the matter to rest
      I think that you would have paid him 20 quid to take her out
      But I will say no more :wink:
      What do you mean abandon ship
      Are they taking requests?

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        Can't Slag of a guy for a tank top.. I had one once upon at time until it fell victim to the boil wash in the laundry.

i remember my first time using the said laundry that boil wash was expensive had to go out and buy all new civies due to odd shapes and shrinkage

Comment

• Originally posted by marloy View Post
          i remember my first time using the said laundry that boil wash was expensive had to go out and buy all new civies due to odd shapes and shrinkage
          I recall once that we had problem with the tumble drier in the senior rating mess, in the base. This was before such a drier was available elsewhere in the base. When I went to take a look, the floor area around the tumble drier was awash.

Later it transpired that a junior rate came in during the night, after the mess has closed, and put his clothes into the drier, along with some soap powder. When he could not figure how to turn on the water, he solved the problem by 'chucking' a bucket of water in, closed the door and turned it on.

There was no problem with the boil wash then!

Comment

• To put the matter to rest
            I think that you would have paid him 20 quid to take her out
            But I will say no more

Maybe I should have got a receipt certainly twenty quid wasn't enough..and no I didn't do the dirty deed....it was just a few drinks and a peck on the cheek..mercifully.

the things we did for shipmates.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
              Hiya all

Just found this after going thru some old boxes
              L.E. Eithne 1st trip to Lorient
              We are lying on parka jackets , it was freezing
              Remember going into one bar and the owner though we were german
              when one of the lads asked him why he said "you all have the german flag on your jackets"
              Parka jackets & desert boots = off duty uniform
              ray comer good god -whats he doing now sound guy arrived with all the portarlington mafia tony bis etc - cha the tel

Comment

• damo are you sure it was eithne all those lads on the picture also served on emer and she did a trip to same location - you have my head buzzing all afternoon on this lorient visit - i think badger was p/o tel on emer at the time - does that ring any bells???

Comment

• Originally posted by moggy View Post
                  damo are you sure it was eithne all those lads on the picture also served on emer and she did a trip to same location - you have my head buzzing all afternoon on this lorient visit - i think badger was p/o tel on emer at the time - does that ring any bells???
                  Damo, great pic of the world trade center.

Moggy, I can confirm that the same lot were in Lorient on the Eithne. A super trip that was. Sub pens, u boats, the lot ! YEA!

Comment

• Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                    Damo, great pic of the world trade center.

Moggy, I can confirm that the same lot were in Lorient on the Eithne. A super trip that was. Sub pens, u boats, the lot ! YEA!
                    yeah was on that trip remember the sub bunkers weather was shit good time had by all

Comment

• Maybe I should have got a receipt certainly twenty quid wasn't enough..and no I didn't do the dirty deed....it was just a few drinks and a peck on the cheek..mercifully.

the things we did for shipmates.

If you believe that and you want us to believe that and it helps you sleep at night so be it.

damo are you sure it was eithne all those lads on the picture also served on emer and she did a trip to same location - you have my head buzzing all afternoon on this lorient visit - i think badger was p/o tel on emer at the time - does that ring any bells???
                      Yes it was Eithne, when we went on Emer M.K. in tank top was on Aisling
                      Also it was freezing cold thats why we went to beach to take picture
                      Have said it before nearly all crew from our time on Emer when onto Eithne hence mix up in stories

Also remember badger , he always giving out for getting radios wet :confused:

Comment

• Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
                        If you believe that and you want us to believe that and it helps you sleep at night so be it.

Yes it was Eithne, when we went on Emer M.K. in tank top was on Aisling
                        Also it was freezing cold thats why we went to beach to take picture
                        Have said it before nearly all crew from our time on Emer when onto Eithne hence mix up in stories

Also remember badger , he always giving out for getting radios wet :confused:
                        yes you and especially boomie 3 radio's lost overboard - inquiry - poor badger was never the same again

Comment

yes you and especially boomie 3 radio's lost overboard - inquiry - poor badger was never the same again
                          We had so much to remember the boat, the engine, the boarding party , the radios ,the bowman & ourselves , we were bound to misplace & forget somethings.
                          It is human nature :wink:

Comment

poor badger was never the same again
                            Where did he ever end up I wonder? Like Big George, never seen again!

Comment

• Lost a radio myself over the side as a result of a mishap on a Spanish trawler. A tough time, but great support and evac from my colleagues at the time. All the training came to the fore for all concerned. A great bunch of guys. Won't be forgotten.

Comment

• We had so much to remember the boat, the engine, the boarding party , the radios ,the bowman & ourselves , we were bound to misplace & forget somethings

I think it was on Aoife about June of 86 when someone negelected to put the securing strop on the outboard..first pull of the cord it kicked into life and jumped off the transom of the gemini and was never seen again!

Did it myself one morning while unloading a magazine after sentry on Emer in Dunlaoighre..round popped out of magazine and over the side..loads of fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X