Eithne 1985 some memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    there was a'dry run' of the event a few days before hand and a rather dimunitive Naval officer played the part and was there after know as Mrs Cooney!....and it wasn't the dimunitive one who took command...
    lift me up i want to see over them guardrails

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
      Stand by one! Pic to follow.

Look at Mick when he had his hair!

Jaysus look at the state of them, Drinking tea as usual RIP Frank and Doggie

Comment

[QUOTE]/PO/Mech Peter Courthey[QUOTE]

Peter was here on site about two years ago...
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

[QUOTE=hptmurphy;196423][QUOTE]/PO/Mech Peter Courthey

Peter was here on site about two years ago...
          peter from wexford come back all is forgiven and we will start with a song..

Comment

So this is what a flight deck is for .
            Attached Files
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

There's a statue sticking out of someones head .
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Laners; 17 February 2008, 12:10.

Comment

Jesus will ya look at the head on 'Chiniry' in the photo!

'Tarzan' looks more jaundiced than tanned...

Why do cooks sunbathe with their clothes on?
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Lloyd looks like he is eyeing up Starmer's nuts!

Comment

Is that one of Rickys nuts hanging out...?

Comment

I like to see the photos of Eithne 85 any one remember the little french flight deck sargent .Those any one remember the ammo dumping trip?.Or the trip to Loerient trip the friday night drinking session?

Comment

Originally posted by Jupiter View Post
                        I like to see the photos of Eithne 85 any one remember the little french flight deck sargent .Those any one remember the ammo dumping trip?.Or the trip to Loerient trip the friday night drinking session?
                        go on test pilot you were on the above -show us the pictures - i was in the trip but cant remember the only thing i remember we all ended up in the same bar - lots of bottles on the wall and they all came our way - am i warm???

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
                          go on test pilot you were on the above -show us the pictures - i was in the trip but cant remember the only thing i remember we all ended up in the same bar - lots of bottles on the wall and they all came our way - am i warm???
                          Leave that one with me Moggy! I'll have to see if there is any photos about! I had a negative file with a couple of hundred negs from that period, but stupidly loaned it to a certain officer for him to copy a few photos from. The short of it all was, that the binder went missing. To this day I regret it!

What I remember most were the submarine pens in Lorient, with railway tracks going into them, and with blast doors about six feet thick.

One story comes to mind where a certain 'chippy' came back to the naval base in Lorient, after a night out. But as he had a FEW drinks on him, he got lost. So he climbed over the fence and made his way in the direction of what he thought was the ship.
                          Now if anyone remembers, there was a base within a base there. The inner one was a base for the equivilent of the SAS or Rangers and was tightly guarded. Anyhow, he fell into the mudflats and was chalanged by the guard. He was heard to shout 'Don't shoot - Don't shoot, I'm Irish!

Shortly afterwards a jeep arrived up to the gangway and a French soldier came to the flight deck and asked 'would this be one of yours?' pointing in the direction of the jeep. I went down with him, where he lifted the canvas cover and inside was a body, covered from head to toe in black slime. The body look up and said in his best cork accent 'don't shoot, I'm Irish'.
                          It was at that point I recognised who it was.

'Yes that's one of ours alright'.

Check out this link for some photos; http://www.historyarticles.com/photos.htm
                          Last edited by Test Pilot; 25 February 2008, 08:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Jupiter View Post
                            Just had a story recounted to me today regarding the Lorient trip. After a some what heavy night ashore, the ratings were mustered for 'divisions' on the flight deck the following morning (to make sure everyone was acounted for). The XO, Charlie L. took parade of what was a rather 'shook' and sorry lot, with some 'bods' just about able to stand. Just as he passed 'Iggy', a projectile vomit shot forth from his mouth and across the deck. Iggy still stood to attention as if nothing happened and Charlie, as cool as he was just carried on, as if nothing happened either!

Some days they were!
                            Last edited by Test Pilot; 22 April 2008, 20:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                              Just had a story recounted to me today regarding the Lorient trip. After a some what heavy night ashore, the ratings were mustered for 'divisions' on the flight deck the following morning (to make sure everyone was acounted for). The XO, Charlie L. took parade of what was a rather 'shook' and sorry lot, with some 'bods' just about able to stand. Just as he passed 'Iggy', a projectile vomit shot forth from his mouth and across the deck. Iggy still stood to attention as if nothing happened and Charlie, as cool as he was just carried on, as if nothing happened either!

Some days there were!
                              some days indeed

Comment

He just never noticed the vomit most likely

Comment

Working...
                                X