No announcement yet.

Eithne 1985 some memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really enjoyin the thread lads! some great photos, great that ur sharing so manygood memories

pardon my ignorance, but could somebody briefly explain the job a coxn does?

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
      Anyone any comments about post 100 ?
      Bloody hell, Laners! nearly missed that. I don't even recall that event . In Bantry was it? Thanks for that!

Is that 'Birmo' stuck to some bag!

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
        Anyone any comments about post 100 ?
        yes the lady asked test pilot to buy her a drink... 2nd picture was the reply..

Comment

• Originally posted by WilcoOut View Post
          In brief, Nothing!

GR, your time will come too . I'm going rooting in the attic. Chucky our la!
          Last edited by Test Pilot; 5 December 2008, 12:08.

Comment

• Originally posted by WilcoOut View Post
            really enjoyin the thread lads! some great photos, great that ur sharing so manygood memories

He's the senior enlisted man aboard ship, usually Chief Petty Officer rank. He looks after pay and admin mostly and is responsible for disciplinary matters. His main practical duty is taking the helm when the ship is involved in complicated manoeuvres, such as entering/leaving harbour or boarding stations.

Comment

• Originally posted by moonstomper View Post
              He's the senior enlisted man aboard ship, usually Chief Petty Officer rank. He looks after pay and admin mostly and is responsible for disciplinary matters. His main practical duty is taking the helm when the ship is involved in complicated manoeuvres, such as entering/leaving harbour or boarding stations.
              I thought the guy with the pips and parrot on his shoulder did that?

cheers moonstomper, my curiosity is quenched!

Comment

• You're welcome.

The guy with the bars (and parrot, though that's probably optional these days) on his shoulders gives the orders of course. The coxswain, when helmsman, just carries them out.

He's probably meant to prevent the officers from, to take a purely hypothetical case, crashing the ship into the quay wall and knocking over a lamp post. Though it's not proved to be a completely effective system.

Comment

• He's probably meant to prevent the officers from, to take a purely hypothetical case, crashing the ship into the quay wall and knocking over a lamp post. Though it's not proved to be a completely effective system

Its funny that the senior enlisted member of the executive branch holds such a position, yeah the MAA I can equate with , but one would think that some one with an admin backround might be more efficent with the paperwork side of things.Would also create seagoing apointment for scribes.

There was a psoition for a L/Wr on board the Eithne.Made the cox'ns job a bit easier.

The helm type cox'n is another anomally as some senoir ABs or Leading hands would have more helm time than the Senior NCO as they are required to do watches which are more frequent than the times the Cox'n takes the helm.

The RN uses this method with usually the senior AB or L/H being the helm cox'n for the routines involved.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Aoife 1981. When good fatigues were in short supply and the famous Haggis.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Aoife on Spanish trip. Almeria I think.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Is that Owen O'K in the middle?

Comment

• not there until ten years later but all very funny , thanks for cheering me up off watch

Comment

• yup Owen O'K it is along with Larry Shortt.( Larry seems to have his own fags for once, and Owen has never been known to smile in a photo.

the guy in the fore ground looks abit like 'Rifles' Counihan, but I could be wrong.

Good fatigues.. lol looks like they were sharing a set between them.. not a belt in sight

Has to be GC again..although from a distance he is not badly unlike TP...sorry TP not meant to be offensive.
                            Last edited by hptmurphy; 7 December 2008, 21:12.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                              Aoife 1981. When good fatigues were in short supply and the famous Haggis.
                              the bloke in the middle looks like hes bou 13!

Comment

• the 13 year old is Joe Murphy from kildare,he would take that as a compliment,also in the photo is wilie fortune and jimmy bartley.I am still trying jog the old memory on the rest even do I should know them.

Comment

Working...
                                X