Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AlanF

Let the Stories Begin

Removed by Owner
    Last edited by AlanF; 4th February 2008 at 10:26. Reason: Removed by Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Guy on look out the port bridge wing singing away to himself ..nice dark nite very quiet was ina world of his won...total safe in his ming,,,the standby man exits the bridge through the other door creeps around to the side where the look out is,,graps him by the anle and screams omething....

lookout shakes out and has to be relived from duty
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Post Thanks / Like
    I was on QM on 12-4 and decide to give the sentry on the bridge alittle fight.

Ip the passage waist, climb on to the gun deck..up on the ammo hoist ..up the ladder to the rails under the bridge window ..quick .. he's in the capatains chair.. so back down palce torch undr chi pops up again to frighten the shite out of the sentry to find my self looking down the barrel of an FN..nearly fell off the walkway to the deck beloow.. Cullinane ya bastard you could nave killed me!
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Gawd here we go now,stories !

Went on board an Irish trawler one night while on fishery protection patrol about 150 miles off the sw coast. The trawler was known to us and was above board, according to our records. But we were just putting in the time.

When I went to the bridge, the nets had been shot and the vessel was on auto pilot and heading west. The crew had gone to the bunks to grab a few hours. There was a young guy sitting in the skippers seat keeping watch, but had fallen asleep. He was out of it, because when I announced my prescence there was no reaction.

The log was on the chart table and appeared in order. As this was the first shot of the nets, there was no fish on board. Normally I would sign the log and stamp it with an official stamp, which I did. I also re inked the stamp and very carefully stamped the sleeping watch keepers forehead and cheeks with 'L.E Orla - Naval Service'. It was a perfect paint job! Wish I had my camera then. I then quietly slipped off the vessel and disappeared in to the night.

I often wondered what happened when the skipper came to the bridge and enquired if all was quiet and a some what dozey, painted qm saying something like 'No all quiet Skip, nothing happened'.
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 21st December 2007 at 16:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fcuking Brilliant.
    Meh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now thats a story!!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Now thats a story!!
    great,,,,,,, one ships captain raided lobster pots and replaced each lobster(3 of them ) with a bottle of whiskey. imagine the face of the man hauling the pots ,, holy sh** its a miracle..

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Test pilot
    brilliant...I bet that story didnt get back to Killybegs......GR, he was a well-off captain if he could spare three bottles of strong drink.....we had a female Officer on Orderly Officer one night who had a habit of following the guard as they went out on patrol around the camp.She used to try and spring a trap on them at a point where they were supposed to radio back to the guardroom.She was spotted by the patrol and the NCO evaded her and crept up behind her, as she waited in cover.The first thing she knew about his presence was the muzzle of the FN in her ear.Silly girl tried it again another night, checking to see if the guy on the beat was alert.The whole camp was wise to her tricks so every footstep she took was monitored.When she crept up to the guardhouse,she found a Gustav muzzle, up close and personal. The surprises stopped after that.
    regards
    GttC

Post Thanks / Like
    One wonders what kind of idiot decides its a good idea to sneak up on a person with a loaded weapon...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    One wonders what kind of idiot decides its a good idea to sneak up on a person with a loaded weapon...
    Just thinking that myself. Not entirely sure of the total facts but a similar situation happened to my brother way back in the day when he was on an FCA camp. Except that he was on a 24hr, and two PDF officers decided to drop by in the middle of the night and check out weapons WITHOUT informing the guard commander. My brother, who was just a slip of a lad at the time (ah the days when they never checked your birth cert) forgot the usual challenge and said something along the lines of "IF YOU MOVE I'LL BLOW YOUR FCUKING HEADS OFF!"

The two heads tried to pull my brother through the wringer only to get a bollocking from their own CO. See - there is some justice out there.
    Meh.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yooklid View Post
    "IF YOU MOVE I'LL BLOW YOUR FCUKING HEADS OFF!"

The two heads tried to pull my brother through the wringer only to get a bollocking from their own CO. See - there is some justice out there.
    Thank God for some sensible Co's. I had a few occasions to be on the mat, in the early years, but due to commonsense CO's, I was let walk! But thats another story. (may put that in print later).

I was thinking today, that it's only coming out now what realy happened many years ago, as we were in sight of no one, as we worked. Some of my ex CO's must be having a laugh now at what went on - I hope so. Some are still in the service and others are in civie street. We still cross paths and have a great respect for each other. And always will. If you are looking in, A Happy Christmas to you all.
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 21st December 2007 at 21:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think my brother was only 15 or at the time (early 80s). So that just added insult to injury.
    Meh.

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Hi Test pilot
    brilliant...I bet that story didnt get back to Killybegs......GR, he was a well-off captain if he could spare three bottles of strong drink.....we had a female Officer on Orderly Officer one night who had a habit of following the guard as they went out on patrol around the camp.She used to try and spring a trap on them at a point where they were supposed to radio back to the guardroom.She was spotted by the patrol and the NCO evaded her and crept up behind her, as she waited in cover.The first thing she knew about his presence was the muzzle of the FN in her ear.Silly girl tried it again another night, checking to see if the guy on the beat was alert.The whole camp was wise to her tricks so every footstep she took was monitored.When she crept up to the guardhouse,she found a Gustav muzzle, up close and personal. The surprises stopped after that.
    regards
    GttC
    that was in the good old days of duty free 5 pound a bottle of black bush

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golden rivet View Post
    that was in the good old days of duty free 5 pound a bottle of black bush
    Oh those days! Why not give the correct price of 5 pounds 3 shillings and 6 pence
    Meh.

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yooklid View Post
    Oh those days! Why not give the correct price of 5 pounds 3 shillings and 6 pence
    Way before your time..

Post Thanks / Like
    First time as guard commander.. was a bag with a PDF guard.. some one tried to pull a fast one and never had looked up my CV.. turns up I was doing guards when they were being concieved.. and that was only the OOD.. Corporal I don't know how to dismount using the FN..Sir would you like to have me teach you?... should I show you the Steyr as well?

Like to hear the one about the guard commander who had the barrel of the gustaf removed and the OOD never coped on?

The one about the guy who was handed over to the guard commadner after being arrested by the GS....for child molestation....allegedlly....wonder he made it through the night!

Alan F.. your mate Johnny Brit was great to go on guard with as he loved #2 beat ...alone all night...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golden rivet View Post
    Way before your time..
    Meh.... I still remember finding the big old pennies occasionally - I'm not that young!
    Meh.

AlanF
    Removed by Owner
    Last edited by AlanF; 4th February 2008 at 10:26. Reason: Removed by Owner

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
    On Guard over on Spike Island 1983, Blue Alert, few days before Christmas, I was due to head home on leave the following day before Christmas Eve.

In those days Guard Duty on Spike was 1 in 3 which was pretty tough.

During the Blue Alert a second beat was set up on over the main gate to the fort. No shelter what so ever and on the highest point on the Island. I was on this beat freezing cold, feet like blocks of ice. I decided to sit down on the ground and use one of the pillars to shield me from the wind, next thing I knew was that the OOD and DPO were beside me. Needless to say I was relived from duty and put under close service custody arrest.

Next morning I found myself on the mat. The CO heard the evidence from both OOD and DPO. My excuse was flimsy to say the least but because the charge was asleep whilst on duty and neither the OOD or DPO could prove it I got off Scot free.

Have to admit to this day I am amazed that I did not do time in the Digger for that one.
    a spooky spot did standard course there, some areas at night did have a presence there whether people believe or not spike would change your mind as a lot of people died there as in fact it was a concentration camp for people awaiting deportation

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    HI GR
    I've done a few beats in places where the hair on the back of the neck stood on end the whole time.Something was there and good oul instinct was reacting.Ft Davis' gate post is one chilly spot,mentally and physically.
    Goldie, she wasn't the only one to try it on and rarely did they succeed.It happened on occasion that the OO or BOS was pinned to the spot by a zealous or stupid beat man with a cocked rifle.Certainly, in the Don, weapons were discharged, either by default or design, by members of the guard when persons tried to sneak up on them.
    regards
    GttC

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heres one for the day thats in it.. burkie once won a live turkey in the westbourne bar draw and went home on the train with just the neck sticking out of the box. on the train it was a laugh as the turkey gobbled away and it then started to peck at a womans sandwich and generally acting up. the place was in uproar as burkie had a glass of beer and mr turkey took a drop of that too, anyway rumour has it that the ass went out of the box in galway and the turkey done a legger..

Post Thanks / Like
    Seanie Burke?...

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Seanie Burke?...
    Thats the man

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok out with it what did everyone get for christmas.. jocks,, socks,, vouchers,, etc,,and include the unusual

Post Thanks / Like
    I got what I asked for sweet FA oh except my daughter did by me a ticket to go with her to a concert im march.

Seanie was one of those who when you met him you knew it was going to involve at least one hangover.

Damn fine Leading Seaman.

Thread Information