No announcement yet.

Foreign Naval Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice ship. Lots of fuel being taken on board.

they were flying drones around the ship, at least 3 of two different types.

they had a diver down:
    Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

• Defender is in Cobh today at the old IFI pier.

Comment

• Slightly off topic but I visited HMS Caroline in Belfast yesterday. If you haven't seen it it's well worth the trip. I had a great RNR guide who had served on HMS Antelope in the Falklands. Very knowledgeable about the Naval Service as well.
        “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
        ― Thucydides

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
          Defender is in Cobh today at the old IFI pier.
          Strange choice, but it is a very secure berth. Possibly waiting for something to free up in Ringaskiddy.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Thats nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post

Thats nice.
              It is probably the only berth available that provides location security, easily controlled by the Gardai, and keeps the " heroes " at bay. The captain will be happy but the run ashore will be dire unless buses are laid on. It is all part of the Marine Spatial Plan. No room for the Naval Service or visiting naval Ships.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                It is probably the only berth available that provides location security, easily controlled by the Gardai, and keeps the " heroes " at bay. The captain will be happy but the run ashore will be dire unless buses are laid on. It is all part of the Marine Spatial Plan. No room for the Naval Service or visiting naval Ships.
                City quays are empty this weekend but as you say but too close to "heroes".
                I see her skipper meeting the FOCNS in the wardroom earlier. No doubt the plan is to empty it later.
                Must really stick in the craw of the shinner camp in Passage to see this literally on their doorstep, yet still out of reach.
                As for the run ashore, the railway station in Carrigaloe should bring them where they need to go. I'm sure they have walked further in quest of a pint.

Last edited by na grohmiti; 23 November 2018, 21:15.

Comment

• F828 HNLMS Van Speijki in Dublin port today
                  Last edited by ibenji; 14 April 2019, 21:40.

Comment

• Originally posted by ibenji View Post
                    F828 HNLMS Van Speijki in Dublin port today
                    As part of a training course I did a trip on her previous sister F802 Van Speijk a Leander class frigate. I think F828 is a K. Doormann class.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                      Looking at recent press and conferences/meetings on strategy, I am appalled at the continuous reduction in major Marine infrastructure throughout the State. Fragmentation and loss of Marine repair facilities, dilution of interest in the Cruise trade , loss of secure berthing facilities for visiting Naval vessels, disappearance of berths for the small gearless ship trade. There seems to be no oversight , no apparent plans other than we'll work something out. They need to know we are on an Island.

Comment

• Think I saw a River class going up river in Cobh this morning.

Comment

• Hms Tyne.

Comment

• Well we have't had a naval visit in ages, and now they all come at once.
                            Not a visit per se, but a NATO exercise, off the South East coast.

Currently visible on AIS off Dungarvan (you might even see them from high ground) are HMS Albion, HMS Duncan, HNLMS Rotterdam, HNLMS Johann De Witt. HMS Queen Elizabeth is there too, with USMC F35 embarked. Earlier French Rafales practices anti Ship attacks on Albion.

Comment

• [QUOTE=na grohmiti;480246]Well we have't had a naval visit in ages, and now they all come at once.
                              Not a visit per se, but a NATO exercise, off the South East coast.

Currently visible on AIS off Dungarvan (you might even see them from high ground) are HMS Albion, HMS Duncan, HNLMS Rotterdam, HNLMS Johann De Witt. HMS Queen Elizabeth is there too, with USMC F35 embarked. Earlier French Rafales practices anti Ship attacks on Albion.

I see ALBION , Duncan , and an unnamed Belgian Vessel south of Dungarvan , I also see Celtic Isle ( tug) beside a FV Carrick . There must be a tow under way. The remnants of the NATO Exercise seem to be within our EEZ . I wonder did CASA overfly?

Comment

• Celtic Isle is one of the Standby for Kinsale Gas Platform and FS Carrick is part of the Decommissioning of the Kinsale Platforms.
                                I just noticed that the AIS plots for those vessels is now 23 hours old, and that was the last signal received before they went dark. Liz is already back in the Solent. Presumably they went bright while passing through busy fishing waters.

Comment

Working...
                                X