No announcement yet.

Foreign Naval Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• there lucky to see the 6 was that programme not for 9 at the start...

Comment

• Originally posted by Marius View Post
      Personally, I think DARING and her class are proof that the Brits have forgotten how to build good-looking ships! Shame.
      Looks are not important, as long as it does the job thats what counts.

I'm sure the RN are not into vanity!

Comment

• Originally posted by pmtts View Post
        Looks are not important, as long as it does the job thats what counts.

I'm sure the RN are not into vanity!
        very true

Comment

• DARING is blocky. Her (ugly) mast is too far forward over a stumpy forecastle. The effort at 'stealth' angles on her superstructure only highlight how radar visible she will be with that freeboard. I know they intend to see 'you' first and greet you with a missile, but it is still disappointing from the people with the '800 year' ship building tradition. The ULTRA 2500 is only an ok FCS. Not state-of-the-art. I am sure these will be fine ships, but I think they bear the stamp of cost-cutting and a lack of imagination in design. And don't tell me looks don't matter. Sailors need to be proud of their ships. Destroyers, in the words of the oft-mentioned N. Montserrat (see books thread) should "sweep past with a sense of purpose" putting all other shipping to shame with their lines, power and speed. I regret to say this, but in the DARING class, the RN have let down those of us who have always admired their ships (if maybe not always what they use them for). I am not arguing for form over function. But only a non-sailor would say that a ship's looks don't matter.

Comment

• They're nice looking when you see them in person.

Sinister though...

Would it not be fair to say given their size they are comparible to small cruisers?

Her skippers a Paddy -

'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

DARING is blocky. Her (ugly) mast is too far forward over a stumpy forecastle. The effort at 'stealth' angles on her superstructure only highlight how radar visible she will be with that freeboard. I know they intend to see 'you' first and greet you with a missile, but it is still disappointing from the people with the '800 year' ship building tradition. The ULTRA 2500 is only an ok FCS. Not state-of-the-art. I am sure these will be fine ships, but I think they bear the stamp of cost-cutting and a lack of imagination in design. And don't tell me looks don't matter. Sailors need to be proud of their ships. Destroyers, in the words of the oft-mentioned N. Montserrat (see books thread) should "sweep past with a sense of purpose" putting all other shipping to shame with their lines, power and speed. I regret to say this, but in the DARING class, the RN have let down those of us who have always admired their ships (if maybe not always what they use them for). I am not arguing for form over function. But only a non-sailor would say that a ship's looks don't matter.
              And as I mentioned before which another member agreed with, as long as it does the job thats what counts.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion on ship building looks!

Comment

DARING is blocky. Her (ugly) mast is too far forward over a stumpy forecastle. The effort at 'stealth' angles on her superstructure only highlight how radar visible she will be with that freeboard. I know they intend to see 'you' first and greet you with a missile, but it is still disappointing from the people with the '800 year' ship building tradition. The ULTRA 2500 is only an ok FCS. Not state-of-the-art. I am sure these will be fine ships, but I think they bear the stamp of cost-cutting and a lack of imagination in design. And don't tell me looks don't matter. Sailors need to be proud of their ships. Destroyers, in the words of the oft-mentioned N. Montserrat (see books thread) should "sweep past with a sense of purpose" putting all other shipping to shame with their lines, power and speed. I regret to say this, but in the DARING class, the RN have let down those of us who have always admired their ships (if maybe not always what they use them for). I am not arguing for form over function. But only a non-sailor would say that a ship's looks don't matter.
                well as a sailor i think there a fine job but that's just me. at least there building ships not like there close neighbors who cant afford to build

Comment

• You are very negative about your employers. Wait and see. Remember the christmas message...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• true Goldie but I'm having doubts Jesus if were talking about a foreign deployment costing us some money what would a new ship do start a civil war. plus I'm not that negative just been a small bit realistic yes i remember

Comment

• Have faith in your leaders.

Comment

• always do

Comment

• Thetis in Cork this afternoon.

Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

• While not technically Naval March 27th sees the retorn of the Tall Ship DAR MLODZIEZY to Cobh.
                            She is, basically, the ship you drew a picture of when you were asked to draw a sailboat as a child.

Or for some.. when you visited the counseller....

She's quite big. Visited last in 1993 I think, or whenever Cork had the Tall Ships race.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              While not technically Naval March 27th sees the retorn of the Tall Ship DAR MLODZIEZY to Cobh.

She's quite big. Visited last in 1993 I think, or whenever Cork had the Tall Ships race.
                              Very similar to the Sedov I visited at Chatham Docks back in the 90's

Comment

• Very similar, though I think Sedov has slightly more canvas, and is much older. Both were in Cobh on the occasion I mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                                X