Foreign Naval Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    In addition, Birmingham and Cardiff URNU training vessels "Express" (P163) and "Exploit" (P167) are due to visit Cork on 3/4/12 as part of their Easter deployment.

HMS Express (P163) and HMS Exploit (P167) by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

HMS Express (P163) by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

HMS Exploit (P167) by Brian Clayton, on Flickr
    Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

• HMS Mersey currently anchored off Cork Harbour, due to take part in Todays Fleet Review in Cobh.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Anyone any idea what USN are sending over for Navy/Notre Dame game ? There was some clack about Enterprise coming over cos she's on her last go but I think it was kiboshed. Prob send the Sullivans over, but since the Cole I dont think we'll see anything like the JFK again.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• USS Enterprise has a TBC for Dublin on 1st September.
          Last edited by Goldie fish; 11 April 2012, 14:18.

Comment

HMS Mersey currently anchored off Cork Harbour, due to take part in Todays Fleet Review in Cobh.
            this is the only angle I have of her, she anchored way down from where I was watching the review.

HMS Mersey (P283) by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

Comment

• do the DFI or Garda provide overt security for these?
              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                do the DFI or Garda provide overt security for these?
                Garda only. The usual rabble showed up to protest. Can't understand why.

Comment

Garda only. The usual rabble showed up to protest. Can't understand why.
                  would be a fine thing if just the standard sentry was all that is required.

good on the Garda to protect, pity the usual retards make it a requirement.
                  RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Goldie - any ideas what will be replacing those things?

The URNU boats that is.
                    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Didn't realise they were up for replacement.

Comment

• I haven't heard that they are either, but they are 25+ years old, and very problematic.

My very fuzzy memory recalls two of them berthed in Ballycastle about 8 years ago, and the CPO Engineer was bemoaning how mechanically they were heaps, and more bother than they were worth.

Ironically the next day they rescued a yacht in Rathlin Sound - horrible place to get caught out.

Just wondering if you'd heard anything.

My monies on RIBS - if the URNU still exists in a few years...

Comment

• The thing is, they or (similar) provided a useful port control platform in Gibraltar when needed urgently. Should a replacement become necessary, similar sized GRP or aluminium craft are available off the shelf, and built in the uk for under a million each. The fact that only 2 scimitar class were built would lead me to suggest that more Simitars would replace the archers, in due course.

Comment

• FS Vulcain, another absolutely tiny French Minehunter, Currently in Cork.

The size of this is hard to guage in this photo but the Port of Cork tug "Gerry O'Sullivan, while not longer is larger.
                            She is 41.6m long.

F.S. Vulcain by Goldie fish, on Flickr

Comment

• She's really not a large ship at all!

IMG_5450 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

The divers were out practising this morning, rather them than me in the river.

IMG_5455 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

Comment

• From http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/europe/france.htm#7

Vulcain class mine disposal tenders

Displacement: 490 tons full load
                                Dimensions: 41.6 x 7.5 x 3.2 meters (136 x 25 x 10.5 feet)
                                Propulsion: 2 diesels, 2 shafts, 2200 bhp, 13.7 knots
                                Crew: 15 + 12 dives
                                Armament: 1 12.7 mm MG
                                Dive tenders for mine clearance operations.

Number Name Year FLT Group Homeport Notes
                                M611 Vulcain 1986 ATL FGM Cherbourg
                                M612 Pluton 1986 MED FGM Toulon
                                M613 Acheron 1987 MED FGM Toulon diver training
                                M614 Styx 1987 ATL FGM Brest

Comment

Working...
                                X