No announcement yet.

have you ever gone "ally"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buckshee is a term common enough in irish military(and garda) terminology too. Also comes from the time of the Raj and the East India Company.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I read years ago that the word "cushty" derives from a town in India called Kushtybar (?) Apparently it was good place to be hence the expression. The word dulally is Hindi in origin as well. The town was a staging post for newly arrived soldiers and the heat drove them "dulally". I can't reference any of this at this time so I'm open to corrections.
      The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
      (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
        I can see both sides of this argument. Use ally and bergen all you like.
        however there is a history in the Irish Defence Force's of having our own phrases, eg

Gilty: something done well, i.e. a platoon marching by looking Gilgy when the do it well.

Cushty: the easy way out. If you do somethign that is cushty you have taken the easiest option whihc is not proper way to do something.

Route March: everyone's favourite past time.

These are our phrases, we should be proud of them and use them.

Is this an ally post though?

A few other Brits Vs Paddy army sayings if I may!

Buckshee = Mingy

Gollock = Machete

Minging = Manky

Idle = Lazy

T.A.B/YOMP = Route march

Beltkit = Webbing

And while we're on the subject, what about all the new YANKISM's sneaking their way into our beloved little army????

Like, downrange, S.A.W, Fastmovers, Fire in the hole, Incoming, etc etc......

But I must say, FLASHBANG, you are the MOST ally person I know. You've always been at the front of allyness in our unit and you alwas will be!!!!!! Even if you do get your brain sucked out through your ass in the months ahead!!!
        Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

come...join us

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            come...join us
            Is that an ad for the new zombie movie coming out that looks strangely like that CRAP movie cloverfield??????
            Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

I have to say I came across the use of the word 'buckshee' ever before I came across 'mingy'

'From the bottom up' was written about army life albeit from an officers point of view in the 60's and makes reference to 'buckshee' as do some other publications' namely 'Step together' by Doanl Macarron from the Emergency.

the use of the word 'mingy' is purely an Irish one but is definetly predated by 'buckshee.'
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Late 80s Allyurplus Ex German army shirt (flags removed) in lieu of Shirt ,khaki & tie;Green combats with Large top pockets on smock; Trousers with lining removed for summer wear; Surplus Ex British army or Doc Marten boots. Private purchase green wet jacket.Extra Ally: Overseas bushgreen shirt ;

Early 90s Ally: Norwegian Army Shirt; Bog standard combats; Matterhorn or Magnum boots; Goretex Jacket or snugpak softie;

Any thoughts or suggestions for late 90s & early 00s Ally ?
                " People, we are Leaving !!"

Comment

Working...
                X