No announcement yet.

have you ever gone "ally"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because if I posted my through feelings on you I would be banned for ever and ever

but to give you an idea- I got 6 points for my Anti SS re enactors and I think they are

lower than a snakes bollox- thats why the sentenance ended in because.
    Back at you mate.I have more respect for myself and the other members here than to call you what i really think of you after this weekend.We have had differences of opinion before but i dont think i ever impuned your soldiering abilities just because you had a strong opinion on an issue.You started this not me.As for your opinion of me and mine of you i gues it doesnt make a alot of difference as we dont have to work together.Thank ****.

At last you are getting there
    Yeah but i am not gonna bother anymore .

I cant be in my thirties.Why pray tell? Because its easier for you to think of me as some snotty nosed teenage redarse who is in awe of your bullshit.Might work with your lackeys but it dont impress me.

and I am not looking down on you- I am so far above you that I cant see you
    Theirs your god complex coming through again.Boring

service means shite- I only went on about it beca\use you in your many posts

and PM's have insisted that people take stock of it

as for some people on the board I am a red arse-

there are lads here that served in the 70's and there are lads still to serve

each has a valid point to make- the beauty of this place is we all learn from each others experiences- whether it be from the 70's or from April 2008
    Agreed for once,i only brought it up as you disparaged my soldiering abilities.If i had been some kind of a barrack rat cushy appointment soldier i would have to give you that.But i am not.Thats all i was trying to illustrate to you .

Me me me me me me me me me me me
    Sigh,oh,sorry ,was i supposed to be paying attention there?

because I attacked your alledged credibility- your certainly an ironic bloke if nothing else

have a look back at your mealy mouthed attack on the airsofters
    No thanks i stand by my comments on waltsofters.I guess i am wasting my time trying to establish any credibility with the likes of you.No matter what i say it would not change your attitude,so i guess i will just have to be happy that
    anyone who actually knows me knows you are talking bollox

Lets do
    No,lets not.Take it to p.m's from now on as this is getting too personal for an open forum.I will show you that much respect at the very least.

Well done I actually liked that bit- but later on I will explain patroninising to you
    Praise from Ceasar indeed.Mate you cant even spell patronising let alone explain it.Lets stick to condescending instead.Want me to explain that to you?

{bb tags edited}
    Last edited by apod; 19 February 2008, 12:01.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

ah get a room lads... i dunno either of you but at least hedgie is amusing most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by silverside View Post
        ah get a room lads... i dunno either of you but at least hedgie is amusing most of the time.
        I object wholeheartedly to this

I am amusing all the time
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Back on topic, was asked by a gunner who go lost in the pl harbour where the stag tent was
            "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

near the hens......
              :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

Have you ever gone "ally" ?

True " Allyness" is in the eye of the beholder. Back in old god's time (You remember then HH) there was no "Gucci" kit as most of the PDF had 2 sets of Green combats and probably 1 Jumper green and wooly. This demon piece of kit came in a v necked style & was guaranteed to have holes in the elbows 10 minutes after first wear. As a young redarse forming up for my first overseas trip I was lucky to have a bona fide tailor attached to the pln. Money was exchanged and hey presto one "ally" jumper complete with arm & shoulder patches & pen holder !!! Jebus I thought I was the mutts nuts.
                Another time an osifer had the coy parade in combats. As anyone that has served will know those monsters were a bugger to dry after washing. Normally the trousers were worn and dirtied more often than the jackets so they were washed more often. This jinnet of an officer made the comment to the CQ after the parade that the younger members of the coy were trying to emulate the brits with their dark jackets & faded trousers !! Ally by implication ;-)
                " People, we are Leaving !!"

Comment

Hedgehog I hope you're happy. Your tantrum has led to barry not shutting up with his beloved ALLY. EVERYTHING is ally now and it's driving me mad, for the love of god barry stop. Thank you HH!!!!!!!!!
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                  Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                  Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

The above is possibly the least ally post ever.

Comment

84 Mac,
                      I had one of them jumpers...the neck and elbows would wear through in minutes, not weeks.We in the Don wore them until they were like winos' rags.They looked like laddered tights by the time we had to bin them, as our glorious storemen would not reissue without a direct chit from the CO.Us non-soldiers never rose to the heights of two sets of combats.Every man had to guard his set jealously as theft of them was rampant.If you took your eye off a jacket, it could grow legs and end up as someone's labouring coat on a building site.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

I can see both sides of this argument. Use ally and bergen all you like.
                        however there is a history in the Irish Defence Force's of having our own phrases, eg

Gilty: something done well, i.e. a platoon marching by looking Gilgy when the do it well.

Cushty: the easy way out. If you do somethign that is cushty you have taken the easiest option whihc is not proper way to do something.

Route March: everyone's favourite past time.

These are our phrases, we should be proud of them and use them.

Is this an ally post though?
                        courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Have you ever gone "ally" ?

To add to Womble's post above a soldier can fall into two camps i.e. They can be either
                          "gildy" or "Manky". gildy being a good turn out or well presented & manky being the opposite.
                          Leading on from that a soldier could be a "mass of gild" or even a "mass".
                          In my time a rucksack or bergan was always called a backpack (58 pattern time) and a turn of phrase often heard on recruit training was "everything less backpack" meaning all your kit ( more often on your person at the one time !! Ah 8 Pm check parades :-)
                          " People, we are Leaving !!"

Comment

have to say i use bergen for a large backpack with an internal frame nothing to do with brits really, other brit terms include gimpy for the gpmg and louie for those one and two pip s that are doing the rounds did these terms come from ultimate force i dunno .
                            at one stage in the greens we wore the 58 pat belt with the jumper or the smock i dunno was this regulation or just unit thing, some of us at one stage plated the strings on the dpm smock in stead of cutting them .
                            ahh manky its a word i love where did it originate from ?
                            "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Originally posted by greyfox View Post
                              ahh manky its a word i love where did it originate from ?
                              Dunno. But a Cpl who was my section commander on my Pot NCO course frequently
                              used it to describe the standard of our Foot/Arms/every-other-type of Drill.
                              And being uttered in a Dundalk accent just made it funnier. It was a "no brainer" that
                              we dubbed him "Manky"....

As for the answer to your original question....

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Isn't Google great ????
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                                however there is a history in the Irish Defence Force's of having our own phrases, eg

Gilty: something done well, i.e. a platoon marching by looking Gilgy when the do it well.

Cushty: the easy way out. If you do somethign that is cushty you have taken the easiest option whihc is not proper way to do something.

These are our phrases, we should be proud of them and use them.
                                English word cushy (comfortable) probably originates from 'khushi' a word used for happiness in Hindi and therefore would have come to us from the BA.

I'm sure "manky" is derived from a Hindi word as well.
                                The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                                (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Working...
                                X