Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still think there should be some type of medal for time spent at sea

Elitism.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Re DSM's being awarded, they are awarded for actions which are exceptional to routine work. Hence the DSMs for naval service personnel who have acted exceptionally in fire and rescue situations. Ditto for Air Corps crew who have been awarded DSMs for rescues which were at or beyond the limit of what would be considered do-able. However, Air Corps personnel do not receive medals simply for performing routine flying duties, will they start asking for medals if Naval personnel become eligible for some kind of 'days at sea' medal? It opens a pandoras box which the department would be loathe to have happen.

I do accept that some DF personnel feel they have limited opportunities to be awarded medals, but that's just the nature of a small, neutral military who do not knowingly put their service people into front-line situations. If you want to win medals for soldiering, you've not picked a great employer in the DF. Not being cynical at all, or trying to start an argument with anyone here, just realistic.

Comment

• Maybe the NS should look at a high profile foreign deployment every couple of year!, here would be 2 possible examples:

1. The Med
          Resupply Irish troops with UNIFIL
          Participate in UNIFIL naval deployment
          Support for Enterprise Ireland (could include visits to Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey etc)

2. The Indian Ocean
          Resupply Irish troops with UNIFIL
          Participate in UNIFIL / EU NAVFOR naval deployment
          Support for Enterprise Ireland (could include visits to the above, plus Egypt, Saudi, Djibouti, Kenya, Tanzania, India etc)

There is a cost factor but by bring in the resupply to UNIFIL and participate in UN mandated naval deployments (as well as supporting Enterprise Ireland) it should make good reading in a cost benefit
          analysis.
          Last edited by DeV; 27 March 2011, 23:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

I still think there should be some type of medal for time spent at sea
            Just had a chat with my buddy Enda from Castlebar,

its all sorted, and will be issued immediately after the

"Time spent on the Border" Medal.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
              Just had a chat with my buddy Enda from Castlebar,

its all sorted, and will be issued immediately after the

"Time spent on the Border" Medal.

Connaught Stranger.
              Sign me up for that one!

Comment

• What has held us back as a Nation and as a Defence Forces has been the sheer

begrudgery- The NS are out in all weathers at all times and although they very rarely ask for

anything in return- I seriously think a sea going medal should also be given to them.

In the grand scheme of things it would cost feck all and it would show the appreciation of a Nation

that the boys deserve.
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• I would disagree with a medal, but there should be some recognition of seatime, similar to the sleeve service bars worn by USN ratings.
                  One for each rotation to sea.
                  If nothing else it would expose those in the navy who avoid going to sea..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Any PVs doing the Baltic to coincide with the footie?

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                      Any PVs doing the Baltic to coincide with the footie?
                      im sure a few navy guys would love if you could send this to the commodore of the service for his urgent attention

Comment

• Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                        im sure a few navy guys would love if you could send this to the commodore of the service for his urgent attention
                        With a bit of forethought the NS could have deployed to the Baltic for manouvers with the Bundsmarine as a feature of the Aus/Ger BG.

Comment

• I surgested this to Commander Jim Robinson in the early nineties, Six resupply trips would constitute a trip plus medal award. He put pen to paper addressed to FOCNS J.J. Kavanagh, he just filed it away. It was a very impressive letter. At least he tryed!

Comment

Working...
                          X