new boots needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by northie View Post
    Groan......... has nothing been learned?

Any links?
    What needed changing? Get rid of the shite lacing system on the haix.?Re-introduce the desert boot en masse? No link but if you PM me an email address I can send on the RFT + specs.

I shouldve reported it to a medic complaining that it was the barrack boots fault
    Probably not just the fault of the boots.What socks were you using?
    I know its not necessarily a run for fitness test, but I always run it
    With the new grading system for the Part 3 I cant see how you could get a top grade without running part of it.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Even if the RFT is unchanged we could still end up with Lowas if they come in cheaper than haix... Has that change to part 3 actually been implemented apod? I'm stuck in the no man's land waiting for a date for my part 3 before my part 1 & 2 expire.
      Last edited by The real Jack; 5 August 2015, 12:24. Reason: spalling
      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
        Even if the RFT is unchanged we could still end up with Lowas if they come in cheaper than haix... Has that change to part 3 actually been implemented apod? I'm stuck in the no man's land waiting for a date for my part 3 before my part 1 & 2 expire.
        Since Nov 2013!

Comment

• I'm a slow walker so it involves a fair amount of running to get grade 4, never mind grades 1-3

Comment

• ? Am a slow walker too, I walked all bar the last 100m of the 10k this year and got Grade 1 ( Am in 45-49 age group ) with HAIX . As Dev says the weight and timing change for Part III has been in for quite a while.

The issue socks are excellent at the moment, the best they have ever been. Wash them separately in a proper wool wash or they will degrade rapidly.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Since Nov 2013!
              Orly? Poster in the gym or anywhere I've seen it just had the pass times no info on the grades!
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                ? Am a slow walker too, I walked all bar the last 100m of the 10k this year and got Grade 1 ( Am in 45-49 age group ) with HAIX . As Dev says the weight and timing change for Part III has been in for quite a while.

The issue socks are excellent at the moment, the best they have ever been. Wash them separately in a proper wool wash or they will degrade rapidly.
                I must be even slower, I got grade 1 for your age group and I got grade 3 (3 mins off grade 2) for my age group. I averaged 8 mins per km and I'd say I ran 2-3 km to get that pace.

I've a relatively short stride (which obviously shortens when carrying 14kg) plus walking is boring

I'm not complaining by the way, I did better than a pass and aiming for a higher grade next year.

Comment

• There is a published amendment to TI05/07 as of the date mentioned which amends Part III ( not part 1 or Part 2 though ). This is not news ( seriously ).

PM including an email address if people want a copy, its also on IKON and should be briefed by all BPEOs/PTIs at the end of the Part 2 warmdown as required kit and weights for the next day ( or whenever ).
                  Last edited by trellheim; 5 August 2015, 13:59.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• this is as it was with us... by saying i know you dont need to run, well id have passed with little running. i always aim for a grade 1 at the youngest age possible. I managed to achieve that this year, and im in the 35+ age group now.
                    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• No specific kit needed bar what you are wearing IE DPM uniform,boots,Battlevest and patrol pack.It's the weight that counts.Must be the same at the start and finish so you don't include the water etc that you intend to use during the test as part of the starting weight.You could have a concrete block in your kit as long as it comes up to the required weight.Having said that it is better to make up the weight with useful items of kit rather than dead weight IE sandbags etc.The kit list in the T.I is only a suggested list and it is cack.Make sure you distribute the weight between the BV and pack so the weight isn't all in the pack.
                      Now.Back to the topic.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        RFT for the supply of DF boots just out. Rumours of going brown just that. Rumours.
                        Design of OP boot and OP safety boot same as current Haix variant.
                        Design of Light Op Light OP safety as per Magnum Viper design.
                        Desert boot being purchased but only in VERY small numbers.Design as per the Magnum Viper.
                        Lowa design OP boot for "Them".
                        Flame resistant OP boot for the NS.
                        Obviously people have not been reading the lessons identified in UNDOF \ UNIFIL regarding boots

Comment

• Totally agree.A change to brown would have made financial sense also.You could issue boots suitable for overseas use in hot climates and not have to wadi them after 6 months if they still had life left in them.You could continue to use them at home also.
                          What we have at the moment is a fallacy.We have light Op boots more suited to warm weather in Ireland that can also handle cold(ish) conditions around Bks when paired with heavier socks during autumn/winter but totally unsuited to 30+ degree heat in the middle eastern summer.
                          It's a no brainer.The colour black retains heat

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                            What needed changing? Get rid of the shite lacing system on the haix.?Re-introduce the desert boot en masse? No link but if you PM me an email address I can send on the RFT + specs.
                            The Haix boots have had an appalling reputation since introduced. An upper that becomes saggy when wet, a poor lacing system and poor build quality, I've seen quite a few incidents where the sole and midsole have debonded and come away on relatively new boots.

The light operational boot - the new viper is comfy, however they're not a durable item. The sole is prone to debonding (you can glue them yourself though) and the fabric panels on the upper aren't up to it. With abrasion they start to come apart and fluffy threads sprout from the sides so it looks like your boots have started to grow pubes!

Time to go back to the drawing board and have a proper look at what's on the market.

Comment

• Anyone have any experience with under armour boots?
                              Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
                                Anyone have any experience with under armour boots?
                                No but the Valsetz(?) seem popular
                                I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                                Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                                Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                                And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                                With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                                He put a bullet through his brain.
                                And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                                Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                                Sneak home and pray you'll never know